B9 S4 Brake Pads

SMI77

Australia
Reaction score
Due to the atrocious brake dust, and savage initial application, am searching for better brake pad. I contacted:-

ATE Germany - enquired the availability of their ceramic pad.
I was informed they did not have a suitable aftermarket pad available.
In their reply they did not elude as to when would be available.

Akebono US - enquired the availability of their ceramic pad, but they could not be bothered supplying a response. Their website has the correct vehicle listed, but ‘no products’ beside it.
I phoned the Aust. Distributor. The rep there said probably will never make a pad as it is too big & they do not have the tooling for that size.

EBC UK - enquired the availability of their ‘Redstuff’ pad.
A Technical Engineer advised the pad was currently under development, and would be available shortly. The front pad code will be DP42277R, but no rear code, as yet.
He also recommended the ‘Yellowstuff’ as more appropriate for the vehicle.

So, it’s EBC Redstuff with significantly lower dust (full ceramic pad has even lower), increased braking performance, together with favourable comments from a number of this forum’s members, including compatibility with OEM discs. Installation, not me (still looking for a 'left-handed' screwdriver), will include braided brake lines.

Now, one would think they would be developing/testing on a B9 S4. So, is the test mule a forum member’s, or does anyone have any information or an inside line to EBC?

Finally, I came across this interesting article.
https://www.essexparts.com/storage/wysiwyg/how to choose the best street and track brake pads_3.pdf

Update:

Akebono US - Did subsequently reply with some 'mumbo jumbo'. The Aussie rep did say the pads changed from '16 to '17 models.
Hawk Performance US - Advised not yet but may do in the future, however no E.T.A.
EBC UK - Since advised pads will be available in '18 (no E.T.A.). Braided brake lines will also be available at the same time.

Not happy!!!!

Email the EBC CEO Andy Freeman he had some Redstuff made for me for some Wilwood calipers .

Reactions: RaZ A4

Thank you to 'xpoweruk' for pointing out that part # DP42277R actually refers to the EBC Yellowstuff pad.
The correct, still coming, EBC Redstuff front pad is part # DP32277C.

Excepting their bodies and other obvious differences, there would appear to be extreme similarities between the S4/S5/SQ5.
Can any member assist by confirming if they require the same pads?

Email the EBC CEO Andy Freeman he had some Redstuff made for me for some Wilwood calipers .

Unfortunately Andy Freeman retired 3 years ago.
The pads were made up for you because they already had a suitable pad base in production, or had been in production. In brief, they married the pad material you required to the pad base.
The B9 S4 is brand new, irrespective of the pad material type. Accordingly they have to develop, and test, a correct complete pad.
Early next year has now been mentioned.

Excepting their bodies and other obvious differences, there would appear to be extreme similarities between the S4/S5/SQ5.
Can any member assist by confirming if they require the same pads?
Creweaudiparts confirmed whilst the SQ5 has different pads, B9 S4 & B9 S5 share the same pad - OEM part # 8W0698151N

Just a quick update to say that I found https://www.autodoc.co.uk/zimmermann/8761337. In case the link doesn't work, the part number on their site is 100.3373.52. These are drilled replacement front discs for £85 each plus delivery which sounds like a bargain to me...

I've asked for photos of them to make sure that they don't look ridiculous but it might be something to replace if people need them anytime in the near future.