B9 S4 (Petrol) to ‘similar’ spec B9 RS4....worth the spend ?

@SiPie great stuff!
Having had the same itch for about 3 years now, I’m glad to see you’ve scratch yours! I keep a regular watch on used sport editions & new RS4s. I figure it would also cost be about 30k to change.
Obviously 2nd hand market prices are realty strong at the moment.
Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the car

Reactions: SiPie and NevMan
Well there you have it.
Picked the RS4 up yesterday from Redline in Knaresborough and the 4 hour drive back home on a combination of motorway and then the great A701 Moffat to Leadburn stretch answered all my questions.
What a machine.
The A701 is one of my favourite roads near to home and to have a direct comparison of the RS4 v S4 on the day of collection confirmed that the S4 wouldn’t even see which way the RS4 went. The wider track gives the RS4 such a planted feel and the way it delivers the power (linear but brilliant).
It did cost £30k to change but after only 200 miles, it is worth it.
I‘ll write more no doubt on other comparisons as they appear but thanks to all who helped me finally make up my mind. If you can afford it.... do it!
View attachment 237004

Very nice. Just gone through the whole thread, see this started back in Oct 20. So what spec did you get? Include the Pano? Did you P/X your S4 or sell privately?

Is that an S or an RS ?

Which in itself says it all !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It was indeed an RS4….stunning this was, then John decided to go M5 Comp . Any thoughts of changing @TerminatorX as you must have had this at least 2 years?

Reactions: Terminator x
Very nice. Just gone through the whole thread, see this started back in Oct 20. So what spec did you get? Include the Pano? Did you P/X your S4 or sell privately?
It has Pano, comfort & sound (B&O), sports exhaust, black pack, piano black inserts, gloss black splitter.
Traded in the S4 to Redline at Knaresborough (very mixed experience, clearly really busy and I felt they didn’t give a toss about somebody ‘only’ spending under £60k. I suppose when they have kit like the attached pics I can ‘sort of’ forgive but I use a different type of customer care in my job. Generally disappointed considering their reputation. 4 hour journey to collect and it hadn’t been washed…and my wife and I weren’t even offered a coffee. They said the car was still being valeted and it appeared from round the corner 20 minutes later with water pouring off it! Quick jet wash, that was all.)
Nothing at all wrong with the car itself but they couldn’t rid of us quickly enough and it slightly soured the experience of me picking up the best car I’ve ever bought.
Anyway, will update later and thanks again for all the helpful advice.
The B9 S4 is a great car but runs out of composure and out of puff at times but the RS4 doesn’t seem to ….. yet
DCBC92EB A05F 4C40 A00F 78DF40780600
FAA9683C FB46 4A14 B5D8 D9C9F099E233

Reactions: NevMan, Terminator x, Bells and 1 other person
It has Pano, comfort & sound (B&O), sports exhaust, black pack, piano black inserts, gloss black splitter.
Traded in the S4 to Redline at Knaresborough (very mixed experience, clearly really busy and I felt they didn’t give a toss about somebody ‘only’ spending under £60k. I suppose when they have kit like the attached pics I can ‘sort of’ forgive but I use a different type of customer care in my job. Generally disappointed considering their reputation. 4 hour journey to collect and it hadn’t been washed…and my wife and I weren’t even offered a coffee. They said the car was still being valeted and it appeared from round the corner 20 minutes later with water pouring off it! Quick jet wash, that was all.)
Nothing at all wrong with the car itself but they couldn’t rid of us quickly enough and it slightly soured the experience of me picking up the best car I’ve ever bought.
Anyway, will update later and thanks again for all the helpful advice.
The B9 S4 is a great car but runs out of composure and out of puff at times but the RS4 doesn’t seem to ….. yet
View attachment 237014View attachment 237015
Congrats on the purchase looks like you’ve got a lovely RS4!

I had a similar experience with Redline - when selling my S3 - initially spoke to them on the phone they seemed really keen to offer a decent price as they ‘sold loads of hot hatches which matched my high spec’ and mentioned they could possibly source a S5 which I was looking at replacing it with. Sent some details across along with the spec I was looking for and was told they’d come back to me within 24 hours. Never heard back from them - sold my S3 to another sports car dealer in Yorkshire after being inundated with offers.

Saw a few S5’s come up with them when I was still searching but never bothered enquiring - seemed quite pricey compared to others too. Think some garages get complacent and start to rely on reputation rather than always delivering on customer service.

Reactions: NevMan and SiPie
Congrats on the purchase looks like you’ve got a lovely RS4!

I had a similar experience with Redline - when selling my S3 - initially spoke to them on the phone they seemed really keen to offer a decent price as they ‘sold loads of hot hatches which matched my high spec’ and mentioned they could possibly source a S5 which I was looking at replacing it with. Sent some details across along with the spec I was looking for and was told they’d come back to me within 24 hours. Never heard back from them - sold my S3 to another sports car dealer in Yorkshire after being inundated with offers.

Saw a few S5’s come up with them when I was still searching but never bothered enquiring - seemed quite pricey compared to others too. Think some garages get complacent and start to rely on reputation rather than always delivering on customer service.
I’ve certainly questioned myself since yesterday, as Redline’s reputation is so good. I won’t be leaving a poor review but will be speaking to someone directly, and at least give them a chance to explain and hopefully learn. We’ve all had a tough time in some way during COVID so maybe the salesman I dealt with had issues throughout and the last thing I want is him emptied just because I didn’t like the way I was dealt with. Perspective etc

Reactions: NevMan and Bells
It was indeed an RS4….stunning this was, then John decided to go M5 Comp . Any thoughts of changing @TerminatorX as you must have had this at least 2 years?
I did change it *whistle*

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Stunning, congrats! Looking forward to a detailed review.

Reactions: NevMan and SiPie
In my opinion, the pre facelift B9 RS4/S4 is the sweet spot of recent Audi models, I've messed around with both the B9 and B9.5 RS4 and S4's and I think the facelift is a total step backwards compared to the pre facelift, from little things like the interior trim being plastered in piano black trim where before it was that nice brushed material like around the gear shifter, to other things like the horrible touch screen, weird changed to the virtual cockpit like removing the fuel and temp gauges from either side of the cluster, and other horrible changes like the weird odd vent between the bonnet and the bumper, I'm also Pretty sure I noticed that they removed the lights in the door sidebins on the facelift models
Never really been a white car man, but I must admit your RS4 looks pretty neat in white;) congrats!

Reactions: Keef and SiPie
In my opinion, the pre facelift B9 RS4/S4 is the sweet spot of recent Audi models, I've messed around with both the B9 and B9.5 RS4 and S4's and I think the facelift is a total step backwards compared to the pre facelift, from little things like the interior trim being plastered in piano black trim where before it was that nice brushed material like around the gear shifter, to other things like the horrible touch screen, weird changed to the virtual cockpit like removing the fuel and temp gauges from either side of the cluster, and other horrible changes like the weird odd vent between the bonnet and the bumper, I'm also Pretty sure I noticed that they removed the lights in the door sidebins on the facelift models
Never really been a white car man, but I must admit your RS4 looks pretty neat in white;) congrats!
Agree 100% on the step backwards for the facelift interior. I was desperate to make sure I got one of the last pre-facelift as I didn’t want to lose the MMI wheel. The diesel S4 i had as a courtesy car just felt cheaper and I did not like the touchscreen. Even the haptic feedback felt awful on it.. All wrong

Reactions: Chang, Keef and NevMan
First ’proper drive’ on familiar roads tonight and I’m not sure I feel the need to get from A to B much quicker.
Stating the obvious and using all the cliches already used by EVO but ‘VERY real world fast’.
I’ve had some ‘medium fast’ cars and I used to think my classic MY99 Impreza turbo was quick back in the day and could cross country quickly. Oh how time moves on and if anybody is hesitant around a trade up from S4 to RS4 then yes, it is worth the premium and don’t be fooled by ‘similar performance figures on paper’.
I’ll leave this thread now as it’s served it’s purpose but thanks again to those that recommended the switch, and to those that said that it wasn’t worth the trade up to the RS…..

…….you are all so clearly wrong ;)
74C8DA89 7CFC 4FB2 B39A 0600A252C9E7
2E06B79C BC40 4E16 A155 802D6E9D720E

Reactions: Chang, Jcbmally, spartacus68 and 4 others
Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and SiPie