B9 s4 wireless CarPlay possible?

kennyboy993

Reaction score
Hi there, have just joined and would like to ask a question - hope that's cool.

S4 avant has arrived this week and I love it - including CarPlay. I've spent some time on google and on here and I can't see if it's possible to connect to CarPlay wirelessly on these cars.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how to do it? I have an iPhone 7

Apologies if the thread is staring me in the face, I did do a search.

Cheers
Kenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Afraid not - despite being available a number of years it's been somewhat slow to adopt! I believe only BMW have it enabled so far. I think it might become more useful once Apple finally introduce wireless charging

Reactions: kennyboy993
Ok cheers buddy, thanks for quick response. At least I can stop searching - the connection manager seems to elude to it being possible, something about connecting to the car's wifi and stuff - must be a red herring.

I'll just use it via cable then and watch my battery memory go to pot!

It's a lithium ion battery in the iPhone, leaving it plugged in doesn't do any harm (plus the phone has measures built into the charging circuitry to prevent any issues with overcharging): memory was only a problem in NiCads years ago.

It's a lithium ion battery in the iPhone, leaving it plugged in doesn't do any harm (plus the phone has measures built into the charging circuitry to prevent any issues with overcharging): memory was only a problem in NiCads years ago.

Others have told me that too. However my experience is that after a few days of charging it with plenty of battery life left - it starts to lose charge noticeably quicker and switches itself off before 1% remaining e.g. 6%

Others have told me that too. However my experience is that after a few days of charging it with plenty of battery life left - it starts to lose charge noticeably quicker and switches itself off before 1% remaining e.g. 6%

I think you'll find the switching off before it's properly dead is a recurring fault with iPhones... Unfortunately I don't remember there being a fix but you can google it to check.

Ridiculous really that you have to use a cable to connect it - bluetooth has been around for donkeys years. Why should I have to mess around plugging in my phone to the car every time I get in? That said, I find carplay completely useless. Might be good if you use your phone for playing music, however I just have all my music on an SD card, and with the DAB it's even more defunct. Just an advertising smokescreen for some half-thought out technology.

Ridiculous really that you have to use a cable to connect it - bluetooth has been around for donkeys years. Why should I have to mess around plugging in my phone to the car every time I get in? That said, I find carplay completely useless. Might be good if you use your phone for playing music, however I just have all my music on an SD card, and with the DAB it's even more defunct. Just an advertising smokescreen for some half-thought out technology.

Yeah I'm 3 days in so it's a bit of a novelty. I can imagine only using it for music at some point

Car play seems to be a feature aimed as those too young to drive? or those who like listening to emoji text messages being read as 'smiling pile of poo' or 'skin tone thumsup'

I wonder how people many are now trying emoji texts to see what the system says, lol.

Car play seems to be a feature aimed as those too young to drive? or those who like listening to emoji text messages being read as 'smiling pile of poo' or 'skin tone thumsup'

I wonder how people many are now trying emoji texts to see what the system says, lol.

I use it all the time for my music through Spotify...

I must admit, I have Spotify on my phone. I must try it, more often than not forget to plug the phone in, simply throwing it in one of the cup holders.

I must admit, I have Spotify on my phone. I must try it, more often than not forget to plug the phone in, simply throwing it in one of the cup holders.

I would certainly prefer if it was wireless as throwing the phone in the cup holder would be much better. That said, it kills my curiosity of what's just come through on a text or whatever.

I agree that the CarPlay interface is fisher price! I *sometimes* use it, but value ability to interact with phone via MMI more (call shortcuts, address book in virtual cockpit etc.) which is more fluid than using CarPlay!

You can stream Spotify over Bluetooth, you can’t see the whole album or list but you can see current track details and artwork and track skip fwd/back

You can stream Spotify over Bluetooth, you can’t see the whole album or list but you can see current track details and artwork and track skip fwd/back

Yeah, it works alright too. I like being able to choose different playlists and things too though and you can't do that through the MMI if you're using Bluetooth. It just gives you more options when it's on CarPlay I'd say.

I use Mixcloud a lot and that works well on CarPlay. Probably what I'll use it most for. The Audi part of mmi looks so well done I'll probably use that for everything else.

Especially the sat nav map appearing on the main dial part of the dash - I think that is superb

Reactions: Daggerit
That said, it kills my curiosity of what's just come through on a text or whatever.

Standard MMI reads out text messages (you just have to select the message - it doesn't do it automatically when received).

Yep I use CarPlay all the time too, we have a family Apple Music subscription with hundreds of playlists etc, so stream music constantly that way.

Reactions: Daggerit
Personally I think CarPlay does have some pretty decent functionality and definitely not just for the younger generation....

For example I have an Apple Music subscription and therefore stream music and have lots of playlists through it. The kids in particular love being able to choose practically any song/album when they are in the car (great for long journeys!).

I also like how the reminders/meetings you have set on your calendar will pop up too and if you have directions included with them you can start the navigation as well.

Also if you have other apps you use like Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc that are CarPlay compatible they integrate well too.

Finally I also like how if Apple updates it when a new IOS is released then those improvements/updates are immediately reflected when you connect next time in the car. Much quicker and easier than waiting for car manufacturer to release changes or fixes to their own systems....

Anyway I'll shut up now as I'm sure I'm sounding like an Apple fan boy :)

Reactions: NickGun