Baby on the way

jolly14

Reaction score
Hi guys

Can you please give me some advice on how to turn the passenger side airbag off, as our brand new baby:yahoo: is due in just under 2 weeks and we will have him/her in the front for a while.

thanks everyone

I have had a look, but just seems to be holes for cd changer, does every audi have a switch to turn it off or is it just mine that does'nt have 1

cheers

some you need to go to audi and have them turn it off in the ecu or find someone with vagcom i think.

I didn't have a switch in mine, so it never got done and little one was relegated to the back seat :(

Don't have a switch on mine - faint outline space in the glovebox for it - and you would need the "Passenger Air Bag Off" light in the roof light cluster?

Safest place for babies is in the back. Our little girl is 15 months now - was fine from birth with a rear facing baby seat in the back behind the passenger seat.
The wife always has her in the back in her Mazda3 - you can see them just as well with a "baby" mirror positioned on the mid rear headrest when they are rear facing.
(Mazda did not have a switch either.)
My sister had a baby a couple of months earlier than us and again in her Mondeo (04 5-door) there was no passenger air bag switch like later models - Baby was fine in the back with a mirror.

Be aware that even with the air bag switched off there is no 100% guarantee it wont go off in an accident unless it's physically removed.
I would personally not be happy disabling the air bag even if possible through VAG-COM.
You would never be sure that air bag would never go off?!

Strange. I assummed all B6's had the glovebox key. My 2003 S4 did.....although we never used it as the rear is the safest place.

I had the same problem a few weeks back and rang the dealer they told me if there is no switch in the glove box(which i dont have)then it would be £150 to turn it off via there diagnostic system,just put the baby in the rear of the car i cant fit the baby seat behind the drivers seat as i sit right back but it fits behind the passenger seat fine.
I have now decided to upgrade to a B8 s line and these have the switch in the front and isofix all round in the rear

We also have a focus which the wife has all the time and both kids sit in the rear of this car and we have a baby mirror so you can see the baby through this,its the safest way to travel.

Hi, the early b6's don't have the switch in the glovebox but you should have child safety belts, these you pull out all the way until they stop and then they go back in on a ratchet, when tight against your child there is no movement in the belt, your best bet bet is to pop down your local cop shop (if it's ever open) and ask someone in traffic if these are ok.

I was searching on Elswain the other night and did find a proceedure for retrofitting the switch.
Seems quite straight forward. Seemed a bit excessive for Audi to quote £150 just to turn the bag off when doing the procedure and fitting the switch couldnt be much more!
I have no switch on mine but did use it in my earlier pugs when sometimes needed to put the child seat in the front to get 3 passengers in the back in a bit more comfort. If I can figure out how to do it I will post the procedure i found

Thankyou so much guys helpful as always and i'm not forgetting my other baby she'll soon be getting a stainless exhaust

Don't have a switch on mine - faint outline space in the glovebox for it - and you would need the "Passenger Air Bag Off" light in the roof light cluster?

The airbag switch I believe was an option & the "Passenger Air Bag Off" light is in the place of the coin drawer along with 3 other blanks.
I agree with the comments made by other folk, best place is in the back if possible.

My A4 has the switch in the glovebox and it was an optional extra when speccing the car - came with rear and front passenger isofix package

We spec'd this because we had a baby already and wanted the isofix but as others have said we never put the child seat in the back as itwasn't worth the risk IOHO.

couldn't you just put the seat in the foot well :/

Sorry Jolly, this post is of no use to you but maybe to someone else in the future!

For reference my 2003 cabby has got the switch and also has isofix on the passenger seat and the two rear seats.

Oh, nearly forgot....good luck with your new arrival !!!

Last edited:
Thankyou to you all,

The baby will be in the back,

But that means i'll have to put up with the
mrs in the front :slap:lol

jolly

cant the mrs sit in the back with the baby?

leaves room for the misstress in the front ;)

To anyone thinking of buying an A4 and sitting kids in the back if you are over 6ft tall...hence drivers seat is quite a way back...the other back seat is occupied by a seat base used for our 9 week old babys rear facing seat.....front passenger seat has to be quite a forward to accomodate....

The leg room in the back is rubbish and my nearly 2.5 yr old daughter has virtually no leg room whilst in her car seat....a 2007 Mondeo is miles better (alas not in the same league as an A4)...heard the A6 is better.......