Back Again... Noggy B5 S4

Good news for any B5 S4/RS4 owners who're missing side skirt clips - they're still available! Noticed I was missing a few last time I had the car up in the air so was straight on the phone to Ayr Audi when I found out you could still get them. Part number in the photo for anyone else in need of some.

nPkvLin.jpg

In other news, I seem to have developed a problem for buying wheels, nice ones just keep popping up for sale a short drive from me. This week I picked up some 2 piece BBS RS795's. 18x8, et43 and crucially 5x112 which is pretty rare for this style of wheel. They're rough around the edges and in need of a complete overhaul, but they were cheap and they came with all four centre caps which is a bonus. The split rim bolts also look brand new and are all genuine BBS; they've possibly been replaced at some point in the past.

Unsure what I'll do with them at the moment as they wont be cheap to refurb, but if I do I think the Superturismo's will have to go, I simply don't have the space (or the need) for 4 sets of wheels.

Rt6mZjm.jpg

ZJdD8Yb.jpg

Its such a nice OEM looking wheel.

FZEu4f3.jpg

I developed a soft spot for this style several years ago after seeing something similar on this car

bXNyPmK.jpg

Reactions: Nitro_CR
Gold/bronze centres on those would look awesome with the blue...

Reactions: S4 Muzza
Cool wheels them. You used to be on wheelwhores by chance? Lol. I have a friend down here like you, and his garage is absolutely full of wheels. All rare, all collectors pieces.

Gold/bronze centres on those would look awesome with the blue...

yeah there are so many colour combos that would look great with this wheel. Lips will definitely be silver or polished but who knows what’ll happen with the centres.

Cool wheels them. You used to be on wheelwhores by chance? Lol. I have a friend down here like you, and his garage is absolutely full of wheels. All rare, all collectors pieces.

Yes I’m trying my hardest not to end up like that. Should be fairly easy as my garage is only just big enough for the car never mind various sets of wheels! It’s only a recent thing, never owned more than one set of wheels for a car before. They just keep popping up at prices I can’t say no to!

Im loving your clean B5! SHUPERRR clean! I have 2 questions, if you don't mind me asking...

1) Where did you get your BBS center cap stickers back in Dec. 2018? If you can recall.. I have been trying to find some and coming up empty-handed

2) When you were restoring your brake calipers to a nice shiny red, how did you get that Brembo logo on there? Did you use a stencil of some sort?

Cheers
S.Pellegrino

Im loving your clean B5! SHUPERRR clean! I have 2 questions, if you don't mind me asking...

1) Where did you get your BBS center cap stickers back in Dec. 2018? If you can recall.. I have been trying to find some and coming up empty-handed

2) When you were restoring your brake calipers to a nice shiny red, how did you get that Brembo logo on there? Did you use a stencil of some sort?

Cheers
S.Pellegrino

Hi mate, thanks for the kind words. In response to your questions:

1) The centre caps were just from eBay. See link below. This is a different seller however they appear to be the exact same ones. They are 1 or 2mm smaller than the OEM ones but this was as close as I could find. They are actually aluminium plates, not stickers, which come with an adhesive backing but I also added some glue to ensure they don't come off. Been on the car around 2 years now and look as good as new so no complaints!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Stick...397138?hash=item48df8fee52:g:9cUAAOSwU2BeQUfX

2) Its just a white sticker/decal, again from eBay. I painted the callipers first, let them set, then added the decal. I then proceeded to add a few coats of clear lacquer which sealed them on. There may be better ways of doing this but it worked fine for me! There's literally thousands of options on eBay, I cant remember which ones I bought but something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Bremb...309708?hash=item2aef5a76cc:g:8g0AAOSwoMhfOFLE

Hope that helps!

Another year, another MOT pass, and another shamefully low number of miles covered. 1,375 in the last 12 months, and that includes a 600 mile 4-day trip down south to CJ's and to see family. Must try harder!

yk3mvpQ.jpg

ovio6MZ.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro, Nitro_CR, midas and 3 others
Hi mate, I had a little blast with you today from the airport to whitletts. I was in a grey M135i. Searched by chance to see if I could find your car as they’re pretty rare. Just wanted to say your car looks absolutely minted, sounds unreal too

Reactions: S4 Muzza and S3 Rav
Hi mate, I had a little blast with you today from the airport to whitletts. I was in a grey M135i. Searched by chance to see if I could find your car as they’re pretty rare. Just wanted to say your car looks absolutely minted, sounds unreal too

First off impressive detective work haha!

I fair enjoyed that little blast, the car spends most of its time in the garage getting pampered so it’s nice to bump into someone on one of its rare outings. Certainly cleared a few cobwebs.

I think the cameras came just in time for me, I was definitely struggling to keep up. You done much to the BMW?

I’m glad to hear it sounds nice, always wondered how it sounded from the outside at full throttle. The exhaust system turned out a little louder than I was planning to be honest :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Kevin Rook
First off impressive detective work haha!

I fair enjoyed that little blast, the car spends most of its time in the garage getting pampered so it’s nice to bump into someone on one of its rare outings. Certainly cleared a few cobwebs.

I think the cameras came just in time for me, I was definitely struggling to keep up. You done much to the BMW?

I’m glad to hear it sounds nice, always wondered how it sounded from the outside at full throttle. The exhaust system turned out a little louder than I was planning to be honest :tearsofjoy:

Haha:tearsofjoy: saw the wheels and thought it had to be the same one

It was great! That’s good, it’s nice when you get the odd dry day to enjoy a drive.

Has it got no lift shift or anti-lag or something? When you changed gear the first time I actually ducked cause it was like getting shot at yeah it sounds perfect, any louder and I think it might ruin the tone a bit

Engine wise I’ve got a cobra sports cat, middle silencer delete, a JB4 and a pipercross panel filter and that’s it so far. But it’s an auto so that gave me an advantage. Apart from that I’d say it was pretty close.

I’d love to see the S4 close up, hopefully bump into you again sometime:grinning:

Haha:tearsofjoy: saw the wheels and thought it had to be the same one

It was great! That’s good, it’s nice when you get the odd dry day to enjoy a drive.

Has it got no lift shift or anti-lag or something? When you changed gear the first time I actually ducked cause it was like getting shot at yeah it sounds perfect, any louder and I think it might ruin the tone a bit

Engine wise I’ve got a cobra sports cat, middle silencer delete, a JB4 and a pipercross panel filter and that’s it so far. But it’s an auto so that gave me an advantage. Apart from that I’d say it was pretty close.

I’d love to see the S4 close up, hopefully bump into you again sometime:grinning:

Yes it has no lift shift mapped in, launch control too. I've not once used the lc as I don't think the clutch would thank me, and I very rarely flat shift for the same reason. But there is something deeply satisfying (and childish) about popping a few flames :tearsofjoy: I did it up the Sandgate in Ayr soon after I had the map done a couple of years ago- that was a big mistake. Had people ducking left right and centre, gave myself a fright too. I could probably count on two hands the amount of times i've used it since then haha.

Car looked nice too. I had a run in my mates many years ago (on the same stretch of road as it happens) and was impressed how fast it felt. It was a wet day though and it had me on the edge of my seat at the roundabouts!

Yeah no worries man, happy to meet up anytime, providing the roads aren't wet and salty of course :tearsofjoy: don't have much else to do these days anyway!

Reactions: Kevin Rook
Yes it has no lift shift mapped in, launch control too. I've not once used the lc as I don't think the clutch would thank me, and I very rarely flat shift for the same reason. But there is something deeply satisfying (and childish) about popping a few flames :tearsofjoy: I did it up the Sandgate in Ayr soon after I had the map done a couple of years ago- that was a big mistake. Had people ducking left right and centre, gave myself a fright too. I could probably count on two hands the amount of times i've used it since then haha.

Car looked nice too. I had a run in my mates many years ago (on the same stretch of road as it happens) and was impressed how fast it felt. It was a wet day though and it had me on the edge of my seat at the roundabouts!

Yeah no worries man, happy to meet up anytime, providing the roads aren't wet and salty of course :tearsofjoy: don't have much else to do these days anyway!

I don’t blame you. Not worth the risk:grimacing: hahah oh man, yeah that would have been terrifying, echoing off the buildings:tearsofjoy:

Cheers. Yeah they’re quick standard. Haha I bet. Very twitchy in the wet, can be quite off putting to be honest but that’s part of the fun I guess.

Sounds good. Yeah if there’s a dry weekend in the next month or so I’ll give you a shout on here:smiley:

I don’t blame you. Not worth the risk:grimacing: hahah oh man, yeah that would have been terrifying, echoing off the buildings:tearsofjoy:

Cheers. Yeah they’re quick standard. Haha I bet. Very twitchy in the wet, can be quite off putting to be honest but that’s part of the fun I guess.

Sounds good. Yeah if there’s a dry weekend in the next month or so I’ll give you a shout on here:smiley:

Sounds good mate :icon thumright:

Some more goodies picked up this weekend from a fellow B5 owner just up the road from me. His car is for sale if anyone is looking, genuine guy and a good car for someone with a huge spares package included.

Anyway its a Whiteline 18mm rear arb, some polyurethane bushes and a pair of subframe reinforcement brackets. I'll also be picking up a set of RS2 metal drop links this week to replace the exiting ones. Started tidying up the support brackets today and i'll hopefully have a stab at fitting everything over the next few weeks!

8qF3UdT.jpg

ITv0onM.jpg

Last edited:
Why is it these cars are horrendously corroded on the rear suspension. Had a good look at mine underneath the rear today. Getting an idea of the next stages going forward.

I may have asked this before, but is yours lowered over standard?

Why is it these cars are horrendously corroded on the rear suspension. Had a good look at mine underneath the rear today. Getting an idea of the next stages going forward.

I may have asked this before, but is yours lowered over standard?

Yeah they are getting bad for it, I see a lot of full rear end refurbs going on. I guess after 20+ years it’s inevitable but things are fortunately still looking respectable under mine for now....

I’m running KW V1 coilovers so not standard no. Plenty of adjustment left both up and down from the height in the photos, they’re set roughly at the midpoint just now.

Whiteline 18mm rear arb, support brackets and RS2 metal drop links all went on yesterday without too much hassle. Couple of stubborn 20 year old bolts took a little persuasion coming off but nothing major, and the top bolt on the support brackets its an absolute nightmare to tighten up! But I had been prewarned about this so no surprises there.

Not much to see really, everything waiting to go on and old v new. Only 3mm thicker than the standard bar but from what I've read it should make a noticeable difference. Haven't had time to take it out yet so time will tell.

rYb3gNn.jpg

yYulqTO.jpg

Car didn't look terrible while I was under there but could definitely do with a tidy up. Next job will be to rub everything down and apply a coat of underseal I think.

Reactions: Kayobong, Nitro_CR and RS5 JON
Hello again,

The weather for this Saturday is looking promising. If you’re still up for meeting sometime then let me know. Cheers

Ps- I would dm you but no idea how to haha

Hello again,

The weather for this Saturday is looking promising. If you’re still up for meeting sometime then let me know. Cheers

Ps- I would dm you but no idea how to haha
Apologies mate only just seeing this - have sent you PM!

Annual "what the hell are these doing in my kitchen" ceramic coating this week. Went with Gtechniq C5 again. These are still coming up like new more than 2 years after powder coating, now protected for another year or so!

1qse2vA.jpg

zGw4vKg.jpg

Got the car back on the standard 17" avus wheels for now - been a while since i had these on and I forgot how much nicer the ride is with the chunkier tyres. Had it out for a little blast yesterday and i'm sure it handles better on the smaller wheels too, almost as if Audi knew what they were doing! Could also be partly down to the new rear arb.

fjXUgLm.jpg

Oh and I bought myself a little toy :laughing:

wtJRn0i.jpg

Spent the best part of today under the car trying my hand at undersealing - not the most enjoyable job but its turned out alright. Extremely hard to get it everywhere - without getting it bloomin everywhere! Once the surface rust had been removed from the rear subframe it didn't actually look in too bad a condition, still nice and solid.

QDMqcrV.jpg

3ANgRET.jpg

Still got the front end to do but you couldn't have paid me to spend any more time on the ground today!

Last edited:
Reactions: S3 Rav, Simon and Nitro_CR
Not really an update as such but I picked up some Isofix brackets that popped up for sale on Facebook a few weeks back. They were very cheap and I’ve got my first child on the way so figured why not!

Doubtful they’ll be used for a good few years but at least they’re here should I grow a little petrol head :tearsofjoy:

Attachments

• 6DC85ACF-E475-45AC-BD48-51749D4227B3.jpeg
    6DC85ACF-E475-45AC-BD48-51749D4227B3.jpeg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 191
Did you have to take all your exhaust etc off to do the under sealing? Sure mine has lived most it’s life near the seaside, the underneath is pretty horrendous really. I’ve bought some under seal to do the jack points where my jack has caused damage etc. But was thinking of dong the rear subframe, and even the front. But the rear looks well hindered in terms of access.

Did you have to take all your exhaust etc off to do the under sealing? Sure mine has lived most it’s life near the seaside, the underneath is pretty horrendous really. I’ve bought some under seal to do the jack points where my jack has caused damage etc. But was thinking of dong the rear subframe, and even the front. But the rear looks well hindered in terms of access.
It would no doubt have made the process much easier but no, I didn’t. Just took care when applying around the exhaust, handbrake cables etc. Used some cardboard to shield the exhaust while I was applying around that area. It is pretty hindered as you say and I’ll no doubt have missed some spots here and there but it’s better that nothing. The spray definitely made it easier to reach some awkward areas.

Spent the night away at a friends house and decided to take the car, give it a decent run out. All the necessary checks were made before hand - no rain forecast, no ridiculous speed bumps on his estate and off-street parking available Excellent. 150 miles racked up, most I've done in the last year I think.

H8odbax.jpg

If you have wheels which can be a little tricky to clean, like the CH's, I cannot recommend ceramic coating enough. Makes them so easy to clean, everything just runs off

Reactions: Nitro_CR and RS5 JON
Ill have to get that done when I finally get my CH’s done.

It is great to have a decent drive out isn’t it. My run up to Edinburgh via Gateshead was brilliant. So much fun to drive.

Ill have to get that done when I finally get my CH’s done.

It is great to have a decent drive out isn’t it. My run up to Edinburgh via Gateshead was brilliant. So much fun to drive.
Yeah I’d highly recommend, I used Gtechniq C5 but plenty of similar products about. For £20 it’s a no brainer, that does me 2 coats as well. Just need to butter up your other half prior to leaving them in the house over night!

Little fix for what I believe is a common niggle. Rubber grommet in the boot fell out in several pieces a few weeks ago. Not available to buy (surprise surprise), but I did find someone 3D printing them on eBay. Only issue is they were £15, no chance! So I bought a generic 25mm rubber grommet and with a little modification it does the job just perfect! 90p well spent.

DZRdmoB.jpg

Also took her along to a small cars and coffee meet being held at a local skate park. There was a great turnout, plenty of nice motors, but the old girl still got plenty of attention. My only snap of her from the day.

5z3v1UG.jpg

Reactions: Omy193, g00se, Simon and 1 other person
Another post another set of wheels... oops! This time some OEM Audi wheels, originally from the B6. Same old story, came up for sale close by, so I bought them. Add some Yokohama winter tyres i've had in the garage for a while and a refurb and we ended up with this:

gAQ2r2n.jpg

GhnsXvJ.jpg

QBjDzRO.jpg

They looked good but decided they weren't for me, so they're already heading off to a new home. There are other OEM wheels i prefer, think i'll be keeping my eye our for some D2 A8 avus alloys, but they're not the easiest to come by. Or maybe just some B6 avus wheels.

Also had my recall letter through for the gas generator for the steering wheel airbag. I have the RS wheel fitted which isn't affected so not really an issue for me, but thought i'd try have my local dealership carry out the recall if i took my old airbag/steering wheel in. Its literally a direct swap, old for new. 30 minute job if the wheel was fitted and literally a 2 second swap if i simply took the old one in to exchange. But they are refusing to do it or give me the part without getting the car in, which won't be happening. Ayr Audi don't have a great rep, just last week I saw yet another review on one of the facebook groups about a car coming back from a service covered in swirls, despite the car being plastered with 'do not wash' notes. I've also seen a post by another B5 owner, relating to the Bristol dealership, who's airbag light came on immediately after having the recall done and he knows of 2 other cars that have had issues post-recall. Needless to say I haven't been filled with confidence; I just don't trust them to work on my pride and joy given its age. Maybe i'm being over cautious and worrying about nothing? Who knows.

Reactions: Nitro_CR and RS5 JON
Was supposed to be asleep over an hour ago but have been browsing b5 content and then your thread which I ended up reading start to finish and it’s now 2am lol!
:superman:

Excellent write up and a stunning B5!
Love the detailed posts, pictures and dedication to cleaning!

I’ve become a first time B5 S4 owner couple days ago, funnily enough the chap I bought mine from was also a Stephen :glee:
Mine also has a stage 1 tune on it to compliment its sports cats + milltek catback, however no dynograph so unsure on bhp and it wasn’t done at MRC either so unsure about LC and flat shifting although it sounds good fun and something I will definitely be looking into getting!

Any tips as to where I can find the brushed alu wing mirror caps? Mine has the chrome ones which I absolutely hate! :gun2:

Last edited:
Was supposed to be asleep over an hour ago but have been browsing b5 content and then your thread which I ended up reading start to finish and it’s now 2am lol!
:superman:

Excellent write up and a stunning B5!
Love the detailed posts, pictures and dedication to cleaning!

I’ve become a first time B5 S4 owner couple days ago, funnily enough the chap I bought mine from was also a Stephen :glee:
Mine also has a stage 1 tune on it to compliment its sports cats + milltek catback, however no dynograph so unsure on bhp and it wasn’t done at MRC either so unsure about LC and flat shifting although it sounds good fun and something I will definitely be looking into getting!

Any tips as to where I can find the brushed alu wing mirror caps? Mine has the chrome ones which I absolutely hate! :gun2:
Thanks for the comments bud, and good effort reading through that in one go! Don’t think I’ve ever read through it all actually. Mostly small little changes, modifications and maintenance, I’m not overly mechanically minded but try my best. Think you’ve got to with these :laughing:

Saw your post over on SRS, I have the same thread going over there and think it’s an even longer read than this one!

With regards to the mirrors, they aren’t too hard to come by but you’ll pay good money for them. I think prices have near doubled since I bought a set. You’ll pay between £300 and £500 now I think…. There’s a guy called Steve Green that breaks B5 RS4’s, he’ll likely have a set available. He might be on SRS but not sure, he’s definitely on the B5 Facebook pages and instagram. German eBay might not be a bad shout either, I’ve bought a couple of bits and pieces off there over the years

Reactions: Omy193
Thanks for the comments bud, and good effort reading through that in one go! Don’t think I’ve ever read through it all actually. Mostly small little changes, modifications and maintenance, I’m not overly mechanically minded but try my best. Think you’ve got to with these :laughing:

Saw your post over on SRS, I have the same thread going over there and think it’s an even longer read than this one!

With regards to the mirrors, they aren’t too hard to come by but you’ll pay good money for them. I think prices have near doubled since I bought a set. You’ll pay between £300 and £500 now I think…. There’s a guy called Steve Green that breaks B5 RS4’s, he’ll likely have a set available. He might be on SRS but not sure, he’s definitely on the B5 Facebook pages and instagram. German eBay might not be a bad shout either, I’ve bought a couple of bits and pieces off there over the years
Damn! All of a sudden im not too keen on brushed alu mirrors anymore :whistle2:
That’s £300 towards engine mods for me hehe

Damn! All of a sudden im not too keen on brushed alu mirrors anymore :whistle2:
That’s £300 towards engine mods for me hehe
Yeah there’s defo better things the money could be spent on. If you have a set of chrome mirrors they’ll fetch good money too, especially if you’re willing to ship to the states. So wouldn’t be too much to add on top for set of RS4 mirrors.

Prior to buying mine I ordered various 3M wrap samples and eventually found one which was pretty similar to the brushed aluminium look. I can dig it out and send you the product code if wrapping is something you’d consider.

Reactions: Omy193