Back end wobble?!

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm Ash, new member and first time owner of an S3 and loving it! Only thing I'm concerned about with the car is...... going over bumps and potholes in the road the back end seams to "wobble", "sway" side to side. Its just had new springs fitted for the MOT last week, and bought the car on Saturday. Also I've noticed the camber on the back wheels more out than the fronts, is this all normal? Any input would be appreciated.Thanks, Ash

Yeah checked tyre pressures, all seem fine. 4WA is an idea, but the cars just passed an MOT. Surely they'd of picked up if the bushes were worn, etc. after all they fitted brand new standard rear springs.

MOT won't check alignment. It only advises uneven wearing of tyres. You may have duff rear shocks. Best check shocks and do alignment and balancing too. Never hurts.

Thanks for the advise, has anyone experienced this first hand and found a cure? Just trying to avoid spending unnecessary money, 4WA will cost £60 near me plus £12 per corner for adjustments.

On wheel alignment , a good shop will tell you once it's been on the machine on whether it needs its or not. My money is on your shocks. That's just my take. Had the same issue of a wobbly rear on hitting a bump or on a bend and it was my left rear shock. This was on a Quattro 8L

i have exactly the same issue with mine at the moment its annoying just not had the time to look underneath lol if any one could point us in the right direction without getting our hands dirty would be much appreciated

Haha I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I'll change the shocks myself if I need to. Just wondered if there was a common cause of what's happening in our cars. I found a pair of shocks from Germany for £65 delivered. Trailing arms bushes OEM are £13 each only 2 needed. The camber is completely out on the rears, anyone looking at it would think the car was lowered by 30-40mm, but they are standard springs. I'm almost tempted to get a whole car powerflex bushes kit and get the lot done and never worry about it again.