Bad news for petrol and diesel car owners

Extra £75 for an RS3 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going forward I can see VED rates for petrol and diesel cars increasing a lot, especially those with the higher CO2 outputs. This will help to persuade people to move across to electric whilst trying to balance the books. Of course at some point the government are going to need to tax electric cars. As they all have no tailpipe emissions maybe they will base it on some measure of efficiency like watt hours per mile.

This first post and article that it links to are poorly-researched and misleadingly-worded. These sorts of pieces are just click bait trash, sadly written with advertising revenue rather than basic journalism as their foundation. :(

For most people with a car that is already on the road, the annual Vehicle Excise Duty increase will be £0-30. This is part of the normal, inflation-based annual review of VED.

For those people buying a brand-new car, the first year rate will increase more in cash terms. Note that this is because the same inflation of ~3-5% applies, but because the first year rate is already up to ~£2.2k for the most Co2-pumping vehicles it's a higher number (up to £120 more). This won't affect owners of existing vehicles.

Please stick to reputable publications and, as always, do your own research.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvey, Alex.S3 and Mr Freeze
This first post and article that it links to are poorly-researched and misleadingly-worded. These sorts of pieces are just click bait trash, sadly written with advertising revenue rather than basic journalism as their foundation. :(

For most people with a car that is already on the road, the annual Vehicle Excise Duty increase will be £0-30. This is partly of the normal, inflation-based annual review of VED.

For those people buying a brand-new car, the first year rate will increase more in cash terms. Note that this is because the same inflation of ~3-5% applies, but because the first year rate is already up to ~£2.2k for the most Co2-pumping vehicles it's a higher number (up to £120 more). This won't affect owners of existing vehicles.

Please stick to reputable publications and, as always, do your own research.
You didn't get point of the article..
You don't have to believe it but 100% there gonna be be changes and plans in near future because of the Co2.. And they want to force ppl to change cars to electric.
This was mainly addressed for old cars before euro 5 and sport fast cars or cars with engine size more than 1.8 or 2.0 Litres..
They mentioned that cars with co2 under 75g per km won't be affected..
It's nit going to be massive amount but gradually more more and always more..
There was probably fuel price rise in the past in this site and no one believed in and now it is more expensive

France already does something similar, for new cars there is a one off tax on registration (good) and when used cars are bought there is a one off sliding tax to pay depending on when the car was originally registered all based on CO2. This is the main reason France is full of cheap, low power small hatchbacks!
Depending on options a 2022 RS3 attracts a one off tax on registration of 19k euro, Audi RS6 has a 40k euro tax bill and likely to increase to 50k euro in 2023 .... now you see why so few high performance cars are here!

Given where elec prices are going, given the reduction in revenue as more electric cars come along somebody somewhere is going to pay.
I sincerely hope the UK does not follow this path, the UK won't be as arbitrary but for sure there will be plans ....

It is not just this but even insurance company trying to rip off
MOT asking £50, last year I paid 40 and before that I paid £30!
My insurance company sent me this joke
They really taking pss!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117_193941_com.google.android.gm_edit_426072940267278.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117_193941_com.google.android.gm_edit_426072940267278.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 50
It is not just this but even insurance company trying to rip off
MOT asking £50, last year I paid 40 and before that I paid £30!
My insurance company sent me this joke
They really taking pss!!!
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven't done so already.
Regards,
Dan.

Is this for cars registered in 2022 or older cars as well ?

From the article:

"VED rates for vehicles that produce over 255 g/km of CO2 pollution will rise to £2,365. This will be a massive £120 increase from the current 2021 rate."

This would suggest that it's the new tax system for cars which are 01/04/17 and newer.

Personally, I think it should not be allowed to make retrospective changes to Vehicle Tax. After a house, a car can often be the second biggest purchase you make, so it's hardly fair to do this when people have often already invested their hard earned money.

If the Gov are that bothered about the loss in revenue due to electric cars then why not scrap the whole emissions based system and just tax all cars based on weight or something? An electric car still causes wear to the motorways and other roads out-with the council jurisdiction. Tax is supposed to fund Government/Local Authority public expenditure. Basing it on emissions feels more like a penalty rather than tax.

Apologies for the rant, but retrospective changes on thing like Vehicle Tax, Pensions etc really annoys me because often people are not in a position to change their circumstances accordingly.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven't done so already.
Regards,
Dan.
Leaving Admiral they could only offer 650 discount..
Really don't understand how they can't when I was paying 480!
So some no claim bonus bullsh. and all that sht around this ripof uk insurance companies is for nothing.
I was expecting to get even lower every year so £380 for example
No I spent all week finding cheapest and that is £500

I was on fleet insurance at work for about 10 years and I have over 17 years no claims in total. I did have three non-fault claims whilst on the fleet insurance in the last two years of being on that policy.

When I came off the fleet insurance to go private about 18 months ago they wouldn't take into account my 17 years no claims because they said fleet insurance no-claims are not recognised, however, they did penalise me for the three non-fault claims. How on earth is that even legal never mind fair?

I was on fleet insurance at work for about 10 years and I have over 17 years no claims in total. I did have three non-fault claims whilst on the fleet insurance in the last two years of being on that policy.

When I came off the fleet insurance to go private about 18 months ago they wouldn't take into account my 17 years no claims because they said fleet insurance no-claims are not recognised, however, they did penalise me for the three non-fault claims. How on earth is that even legal never mind fair?
Yeah I heard that even if you don't cause crash you still kind of guilty, becuse they have to pay you for your damaged car.. Even if you ask for windscreen change or crack repair, they log it in your policy online and they will get moneyback on following year so all that sht what they offered you breakdown cover or courtesy car etc.. they will get all money back next renewal so they won't loose money. It is disgusting.. THey making billions of monies and if some few cars crashes even 30k cars it is nothing for them..
And even they made idea that, if you don't have no claim protection, which u have to pay extra, they will not take no claim bonus into consideration.
Cheeky ideas how to just rip people off. These kind of crp like asking you how many miles u drive or where u park car or married and your job n sht absolutely doesn't exist in my country (EU)! My brother paying 90 euro annually for car insurance. Can't believe how this here can be allowed to ask 1000 pounds for renewal.. Absolute disgrace and suing worthy ! They absolutely don't care of ppl's details unless you call and discus. Many people don't even check renewals emails and are charged double!!
In my country car insurance companies doesn't exist everything about car registrations and number plates and insurances has to be sorted at police station.

Last edited:
I was considering a 2020 old model S3 but with obscene car tax rates and stupid prices on newer cars, I don't think I'll bother. Dealers are asking just £5k less for my spec and age car than I paid for it brand new! Unsustainable and prices will bomb.

I've just run a quote for my car, 2016 FL S3, Stage 1 tune, protected NCD, legal assistance, no fault claim 3 years ago, £250 excess (with free £250 excess cover) with LV (Defacto 5* rated) ... £269.

37 years ago though, I did pay £450 for TPF&T insurance on a Triumph Dolomite Sprint.