Bad time to sell a car

ianh

Reaction score
Put my 2.5 tdi cab up for sale on pistonheads and the ebay,don't think I have overpriced it,in fact I have reduced it to a minimum now yet still not even a enquiry.
Times must be hard.
Is it still overpriced even though I have knocked off 1500 quid from what I originally wanted?what do you reckon.
Should add that it's a good job I am not desperate to sell,the problem is that my dad is giving up his car which is a boring focus cmax tdci 05 with 20k on the clock,it's a beautiful drive and is like new so I thought I would get it off him and sell the audi and straight away my running costs are greatly reduced plus I would have a bit of spare cash around me.
Funny how in demand certain cars are when you are looking for one but when you come to sell them they aren't.

2005 AUDI A4 TDI CONVERTIBLE AUTO SILVER,CABRIOLET.V6 on eBay (end time 16-Apr-11 10:02:02 BST)

i think its a good price my self and thinking with all this sun we have at mo you will sell soon mate

Cheers Simon,I am just amazed that I haven't even had a single inquiry,not even a messer which is what I find odd.

Steve,I started off advertising it pretty much in line with similar specd ones at 10.5k without any interest so been gradually reducing the price to be at this price now,I certainly won't be going lower though.

shall I be the first person on this audi forum to gnash my teeth, wail and scream "who oh why? audi cabby to a focus c-max? noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!" :)
I just can't make myself go for a sensible car instead of something I take pleasure in driving. like "the withdrawal method" it just goes against something at a genetic level.

i did see on ebay you had some thing like 490 ppl look at it on there so if they are watching it they see you are droping the price mate and soon some one will make you an offer in the hope you will take it for silly moneys id say stop droping the price and hold on also try putting the reg in on we buy any car to see how much they offer you just to see

Haha,I know what you mean there as I love the car,best one I ever owned but looking at it from a financial sense the running costs immediately save a few quid...the insurance on the cmax costs £150 less at £220 a year,road tax £100 less,mpg noticeably better,replacement parts better.if I need to move anything the cmax is easy,I do feel like I have lost the will to live just by considering it however I could have the price difference of around £4k to cheer me up in other ways,ha.
The ford actualy is a much more comfortable ride,has only done 20000 miles and is like a new car,has cruise leather etc and isn't exactly roughing it.......... I do know what you mean though.

Wouldn't do the wbac thing. They called me yesterday about my S4 and offered me £4250. Nice. I think not.

It is a tough time. I too have dropped my price by £1500 since I started advertising my S4, but with no takers. Had 2 folk come view it though. I think its just a tough time to sell at the moment. I do get several px offers though. Anyway, I have decided to keep the S4, and change the daily instead. Hopefully away to look at a couple cars this afternoon.

i did see on ebay you had some thing like 490 ppl look at it on there so if they are watching it they see you are droping the price mate and soon some one will make you an offer in the hope you will take it for silly moneys id say stop droping the price and hold on also try putting the reg in on we buy any car to see how much they offer you just to see

There's 26 watchers !!! Maybe they want it for 5k .

Wouldn't do the wbac thing. They called me yesterday about my S4 and offered me £4250. Nice. I think not.

It is a tough time. I too have dropped my price by £1500 since I started advertising my S4, but with no takers. Had 2 folk come view it though. I think its just a tough time to sell at the moment. I do get several px offers though. Anyway, I have decided to keep the S4, and change the daily instead. Hopefully away to look at a couple cars this afternoon.

Pretty depressing times then if it's not just my own car that people don't want to buy.

There's 26 watchers !!! Maybe they want it for 5k .

they all want it for nothing mate its the way of the world now days i have a set of new s.line door blades on there starting price £280 or make me a good offer and 3 ppl have have made me offers from 130 to 180 im like are you lot nuts you cant buy seconhand ones for that hell there is seconhand ones on there for 275 right now and you want new ones for that lmfao i no i no we all want to pay as little as pos but come on

Must admit I have noticed that people are reluctant now to agree a price to sell out of eBay even though they would save on the messing and the extortionate fees,I genuinely think most people dont know they get charged 10.% on sales.
Ah well looks like I may have a focus to sell then,what a bummer haha

sell the focus. there's no shortage of retirees looking for a sensible, economical driver. then go and drive your audi. drive it hard and revel in the fact that you don't own a focus c-max.
the day I change to a people carrier is the day I hang my balls on a hook by the door and stick a bag on my head so people don't recognise me. Actually last summer my brother lent me his people carrier when I was in N Ireland for his wedding. As decent as it was of him, I spent the full week praying to god that nobody I knew from my past would spot me and think, "wow, he's become a people carrier guy."

tell you what, stick your audi out of the way and drive the c.max for a week or two. then drive the audi again. see how you feel before selling either. It's a really good way to pre-empt any regrets.

sell the focus. there's no shortage of retirees looking for a sensible, economical driver. then go and drive your audi. drive it hard and revel in the fact that you don't own a focus c-max.
the day I change to a people carrier is the day I hang my balls on a hook by the door and stick a bag on my head so people don't recognise me. Actually last summer my brother lent me his people carrier when I was in N Ireland for his wedding. As decent as it was of him, I spent the full week praying to god that nobody I knew from my past would spot me and think, "wow, he's become a people carrier guy."

tell you what, stick your audi out of the way and drive the c.max for a week or two. then drive the audi again. see how you feel before selling either. It's a really good way to pre-empt any regrets.

Bang on I know

sorry mate. if it was a focus forum I wouldn't be giving you a hard time :)

No need to apologize mate,I know you are right....especially on a sunny day like today,pity I can't put some fuel in it and go for a spin cos I am skint,looks like beans for tea next week then.

With the top down after the beans I think. ;-)

I purchased my 2003 on ebay in Feb, i think you are asking a good price even a bit low! I would take out the info about the repair costs, as people will asky why you have not done the repair. Mention as much info about the Autobox service history, i bought mine with a recon gearbox but thats another story! Looks like a lovely car. Have a look round autotrader for waht price they are on at for your spec.

I did consider getting the repairs done and putting it on the cost of the car but I much prefer people to see original,if they spot new paint you then have to explain it was completely minor etc.anyhow going off peoples comments at least I know that it's not overpriced and it's just a crap market at the moment.cheers guys

i defo dont think thats a bad price, i paid 9000 for my 2005 a4 cabriolet in january this year, the only difference between mine and yours is that mine is a s line. so stick to your guns and hope with the sun being out now, it will bring you a buyer who will pay what you want

what engine is in the ford?

the right cars definately sell though, as I've been keeping an eye out on avant tdi's and they seem to go pretty quick when priced to sell and good spec.

link not working

but keep an eye on autotrader trade ones and see if they shift

Haha,the ford is 1.6 tdci and has been nursed over it's 20000 miles,it's actualy linked up with a auto box which is quite rare but does return over 50 mpg even if being leathered,it's a really nice spec.mind you if we think our cvt boxes are problems then the ford ones are a disgrace,no repairs only replacement of a full box,£4500 !!!!!

thanks.
actually looking to replace wife ford ka and been looking at avant tdi, but maybe swayed with the cmax ;-)

To be honest I dont think it is that cheap, that is obviously just my opinion.

I would say it would be priced right if it didnt have the damage (not cheap though). I would suggest the damage is putting the majority of people off, most car buyers in the convertible market in that price range dont expect to have to get damage repaired on top of 9k. I would say it puts most people off as everyone expects the repair valuation to be miles off and would automatically question why you didnt get it done yourself at £350.

The engine and exterior colour are desirable, however I dont think the non-sport spec and interior colour do it favours on the second hand market. I would say take the hit for £350 if you can afford it and it will be a far easier car to sell.

No offence as I drive a strange colour combo cab which I am currently considering selling. Just my opinion. Good luck with the sale.

No offense taken golf kid,I was after opinions and yours is just as valid as the next.
I was considering getting the paint done but if I was to keep the car it doesn't really bother me enough to spend £350 so if it doesn't sell then I haven't blown it.no doubt if it was done someone will just knock it on a stone chip or something like that,anyhow just under 9 grand sounds cheaper than nearly 9 and half.Cheers anyways

my missus had a ford focus 130 tdi titanium company car for 4 years! fuel was free! but it never left the drive on a weekend coz i would rather pay for the fuel in the audi! the sit up and beg driving position of the focus seems comfortable for a day or two then it just dosent feel right! anyway if you rearange the letters of focus it describes what people think when you tell them you drive one! sofuc!

managed to look at the link
looks a well spec'd car, but non sport as mentioned above
also not a fan of the wheels, but would that put people off if priced well?

Think as far as wheels are concerned it's a case of each to there own,I do think bigger wheels look nice but I much prefer the comfort of more rubber.I quite like the style of the rims.

Looks like a v nice car, dont think I have seen a cab with so many toys (front park sensors especially, though I notice one of the sensors is missing on the front bumper), gotta say tho (no offence intended) what is with the audi rings on the door trim ! That would put me off stratght away.......not keen on the boot spoiler wither.

There's no park sensors missing on the front,even comes with a set of 4 spare ones.the audi rings illuminate when the doors open as I think the original door opening lights are gash,not everyones cup of tea but I suppose that's why we personalize our own cars.
IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:
take the pic off showing 78k
as you say its got 88k ppl are gonna wounder why your showing old photos

also you dont mention is the front and rear sensors and xeons are OEM or aftermarket ?

Was a parking sensor missing then -
DSCF4339.jpg

Nice car with nice spec, if I hadnt just bought mine I would seriously look at buying yours ! Took me ages to find one with light grey leather, heated seats and BOSE ! Mine has 32k miles though which is a definite plus.

You shouldnt have any prob selling it with the spec it has, buyers like toys ! Good luck.

I hadn't noticed that one !!! I broke that last year when I jet washed the car so removed it to find the number for replacement.
The fronts and rears are factory fit but the lights are a hid kit.
Thanks for the pointers about using older photos.