Badger5 remap made my day.

Bigandbald

Reaction score
Firstly before anyone points it out, I did own an S3 till before Xmas now I have a Seat Leon cupra r BAM.

So I bought my '04 LCR a few months ago, I have been very happy with it. It has been remapped but I didn't know by who, how or where which worried me. It was quick but not very dynamic. It was full throttle or nothing.

Anyway, long story short the turbo had movement in the shaft and had a large crack around the exhaust housing, so I replaced it. The car is a two owner 139k full seat history example.

The doubtful remap worried me so I booked it in with bill at Badger5 ( after I ordered a new tip from him)

Anyway, today was the day....... I arrived at 09:30, after a long drive in the traffic and ****e weather, only to be greated with a friendly smile and an offer of a cup of tea.

After fitting the TIP and a smoke test and subsequent replacement of a few pipes we were nearly ready!! Haha (not)

On dear, turbo feed from the oil cooler housing was leaking .....a lot!!!!!!

After the chaps replaced it and stopped the leak we were ready.

Onto the roller she went and knocked out a 245bhp run not amused, it felt quicker than that).
Boost spiked at a whopping 23psi and tailed off from there WITH STANDARD FUELLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF. I was right to get it checked!!

Bill worked his magic and managed to eek out a very satisfying 275.5BHP which I was overjoyed with.

The drive home revealed a much more responsive, punchy, healthy powerful car, anyway.....I can't thanks the chaps at Badger5 enough for all their help.

The moral of the long story is............. If you need a remap, don't worry about how long the journey is.... Get to Badger5 for a sensible, honest and credible service with impressive results.

Reactions: Nilz, JudderMan, Westy and 15 others
Sounds like your very happy. Bill and the guys are well known and respected for looking after their customers and are excellent at what they do. Hope you enjoy your car now its be done. :) x

I had a very similar experience with Bill and my S3. Amazing work and a nice little workshop to have a nose around too! Haha.

However I fear my turbo had lived a hard life with an awful map before my ownership, but ended up still hitting 260bhp by the time Bill had finished with it. I'm going back to have some minor work done soon; full service, haldex service and a baffled sump fitted.

Eventually when I can get another car for a while (anyone selling a mk1 gti?) I think my car will take up residence there for some TLC, forging and a rebuild.

Saw the results on facebook... 18psi too... good results :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigandbald
Saw the results on facebook... 18psi too... good results :)

<tuffty/>

yea I was and am well chuffed! Can't believe someone would raise the boost levels to such an extent but leave the fuelling level as standard.

Reactions: Broken Byzan
yea I was and am well chuffed! Can't believe someone would raise the boost levels to such an extent but leave the fuelling level as standard.

Mine was the same beforehand :/

Requesting 26psi of boost with no fuelling alterations. Cowboys!

She was a good girl and did what was asked of her, a tribute to the owner ( after fixing a few bits n bobs):beerchug:

I had the same experience there, was a bit worried before going up to see bill, had a bit of a hunt on my idle but wasn't sure what was causing it. Flew through the smoke test and code scan (thanks to Phil Miller helping me out) then had the Remap done, big smile on my face and a fun drive home. No more hunting on the idle either

If it wasn't a 9,000 mile journey, I'd go too....

Reactions: tom2001s3, StaceyS3, Lavis89 and 1 other person
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I saw this on facebook last night. Top result!

Didn't realise it was a local car to me though :) That'll be loads of fun!

1.17bar boost for its 275bhp... Cars mods are just TIP and DV.

the map which was on it was "odd".... in that it ID'd as revo, switched like revo, but had stock fueling request which I have never seen from "real revo"... Very odd.. I had heard stories of hacked revo being out there so maybe this was one of them.. EGTs were high and interventions came in readily which would explain the demise of the original turbo to cracksville

1926693_507836806001076_132668656_n.jpg

equivalence torque being 273lbft

Healthy new turbo ftw chaps!

Dans doing a great price on his slightly uprated std units if looking for a replacement.

I stark contrast, last week an S3 with pre-existing map barely made over 200bhp such was its worn out state. Poor thing. Fresh turbo would rejuvenate that one I'm sure.

Nice to meet and chat.
Glad we were able to fix those "other issues" on the day for you from spare bits we have here.

Enjoy

Reactions: Bigandbald and dre_S3

the map which was on it was "odd".... in that it ID'd as revo, switched like revo, but had stock fueling request which I have never seen from "real revo"... Very odd.. I had heard stories of hacked revo being out there so maybe this was one of them.. EGTs were high and interventions came in readily which would explain the demise of the original turbo to cracksville

Dans doing a great price on his slightly uprated std units if looking for a replacement.

I stark contrast, last week an S3 with pre-existing map barely made over 200bhp such was its worn out state. Poor thing. Fresh turbo would rejuvenate that one I'm sure.

Nice to meet and chat.
Glad we were able to fix those "other issues" on the day for you from spare bits we have here.

Enjoy

Bill, have you had any experience of Dan's new K04+ turbo?

I know ideally the map needs to be customised to it, but do you know if it will run ok on an existing remap for a while?

It will hopefully go nicely with the new manifold your porting for me ;)

Last edited:
Bill, have you had any experience of Dan's new K04+ turbo?

I know ideally the map needs to be customised to it, but do you know if it will run ok on an existing remap for a while?

It will hopefully go nicely with the new manifold your porting for me ;)

I have no idea what his K04+ is..... std turbine but billet std size compressor?
(guessing as I have lost track of the versions... he's been prolific :) )

I have no idea what his K04+ is..... std turbine but billet std size compressor?
(guessing as I have lost track of the versions... he's been prolific :) )

A kind of baby stage 1 hybrid I think. Here's the info and specs:

"The turbo to replace your stock turbo, Possible the best stock sized turbo available on the Market.
Taking all the lessons learned from the hybrids and using them on a stock turbo to ensure quality and performance"

Features:
BBT Ported K04-0023 Turbine housing
BBT K04 compressor housing
K04 Turbine
BBT K04 Billet compressor with ETT
BBT uprated thrust beating/collar
BBT improved O-ring sealed backplated
Step gapped rear seal

Bill do you only remap wideband ecu's?

The dyno was nice and smooth on FB, no stress on the turbo, well within efficiency ranges. Great for a daily driver ;)

Bill do you only remap wideband ecu's?

The dyno was nice and smooth on FB, no stress on the turbo, well within efficiency ranges. Great for a daily driver ;)

no. not just wideband narrow band also..

boost control how is straight forward for me. Smooth and appropriate for the 'other' hardware is key part to it working efficiently and not just pumping heat

"The turbo to replace your stock turbo, Possible the best stock sized turbo available on the Market.
Taking all the lessons learned from the hybrids and using them on a stock turbo to ensure quality and performance"

Features:
K04 Turbine
Step gapped rear seal

Jim is there a website that that's on? Pretty interested myself!

Features:
K04 Turbine
Step gapped rear seal

Found it!

share it ?

Here you go:

K418S

Looks like a very interesting turbo. Debating ordering one of these at the end of the week as my turbo has really bad shaft play.
Not sure if it will run ok on a Revo 2 map for now though.

Reactions: badger5
Here you go:

K418S

Looks like a very interesting turbo. Debating ordering one of these at the end of the week as my turbo has really bad shaft play.
Not sure if it will run ok on a Revo 2 map for now though.

15psi listed on it then unplug n75 to be safe..
I would expect it to boost to the moon and window your block if on std rods otherwise
edited again... Check with Dan re actuator... its says features 15psi actuator but there's a click option on choice of actuator for uprated one..

5psi one would be pointless on a decent k04 imho

Last edited:
15psi listed on it then unplug n75 to be safe..
I would expect it to boost to the moon and window your block if on std rods otherwise

Lol, don't fancy any speed holes in the side of my block!

What do you reckon to running a standard actuator? Will it then supply the correct boost requested by the map?
Then fit a stiffer actuator later and see what it can do!

Hmm... Or should I just get another standard turbo until I get round to fitting rods and large port head.

Think Beach Buggy will do well with this turbo if it can be made into a 'bolt on' mod.

Last edited:
Lol, don't fancy any speed holes in the side of my block!

What do you reckon to running a standard actuator? Will it then supply the correct boost requested by the map?

Hmm... Or should I just get another standard turbo until I get round to fitting rods and large port head.

Think Beach Buggy will do well with this turbo if it can be made into a 'bolt on' mod.

std actuator should be bolt on yes.. 5psi std actuator, BUT this assumes the actuator is new and not an old tired one, as I am seeing more and more k04 cars with tired actuators and they cannot hold their requested boost. If buying a new baby hybrid then I would always look to also get the actuator... IMHO

fitting an actuator after the event if the brkt is not modded for the bolt on actuators will be a right royal pia

Reactions: JimS3

Nice to meet and chat.

Enjoy

Yep good work bill, handy you having random off the shelf last minute rebuild parts!!!!

Enjoyed the day and well chuffed with the results. For all the people who whine about the mileage to get to you, it makes for an interesting drive home!!!!

Reactions: sssline and badger5
Just a quick question Bill, is there an easy way I can check my actuator on my standard S3 AMK?..
As I shall be looking for a remap soon and wondered of mine is ok or not
Thanks
Frank