Bang and Olufsen upgrade

paulie102003

Reaction score
So, my B9 S5 has the B&O system however I am not overally happy with how it sounds as it still appears that Audi have used the cheap paper cone speakers, which whilst there is a lot of them, I want to do better.

So I am looking at replacing them all with much better grade speakers, such as Focals. Does anyone know the size speakers which are currently in the B9's so I know what to look out for? I could of course find out by ripping it all apart, but would rather get the parts first. I assume B&O is a 4ohm system?

So, my B9 S5 has the B&O system however I am not overally happy with how it sounds as it still appears that Audi have used the cheap paper cone speakers, which whilst there is a lot of them, I want to do better.

So I am looking at replacing them all with much better grade speakers, such as Focals. Does anyone know the size speakers which are currently in the B9's so I know what to look out for? I could of course find out by ripping it all apart, but would rather get the parts first. I assume B&O is a 4ohm system?

Not that it’s any help with the new speakers, but if you’d consider selling the old ones once you’ve pulled them out I’d be interested.

Reactions: paulie102003
Not BO, but *** but you can do the same for the BO as well, it will work exactly the same. It involves taking the High Output of the current amp, feeding that into a new Amp and then replacing the BO subwoofer with a new driver. Some people have chosen to keep the old driver in place and just add a new driver in a new enclosure. I too had originally planned to go down that route but just putting in a better driver and an amp, with it's own gain was good enough.

Is the car brand new? I have the B&O system I use it a lot at high volume when I first got it the speakers weren’t the best to be honest. But now they have had chance to stretch the sound so much better. Also some people in the states have added more sound reading to the rear shelf to help the sub produce a better sound rather than it vibrating and getting lost in the trunk.

Is the car brand new? I have the B&O system I use it a lot at high volume when I first got it the speakers weren’t the best to be honest. But now they have had chance to stretch the sound so much better. Also some people in the states have added more sound reading to the rear shelf to help the sub produce a better sound rather than it vibrating and getting lost in the trunk.
Yes the sub in the parcel shelf is a poor implementation, as far as I understand speakers, especially bass, should be in a enclosure, to direct the sound waves forward. But with a sub in the shelf you can quite clearer hear bass coming from behind the speaker.
It maybe deliberate so you feel the bass I don't know but yes some on Audiworld have enclosed it....

Not that it’s any help with the new speakers, but if you’d consider selling the old ones once you’ve pulled them out I’d be interested.

No worries - quite happy to reach an arrangement.

Car isnt new, but the speakers are still the cheap paper ones - despite being 19 of them. The vibration is due to how the parcel shelf is attached. I cured mine by putting some sound deadening underneath the parcel shelf so it stops it vibrating. Also used some deadening mat where the parcel shelf rests on top of the parcel shelf - problem solved.

The sub is an open air sub - they are designed to work without needing to be in enclosures. My previous vehicle was 14 speakers and all of those were replaced as the OEM ones are always just cheaped out on. But I am a massive music lover - I purposely sought out a B&O system which was high up on my list of priorities

I am trying to locate the dimensions of the speakers.