Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System

I had the 911 since December 2018. Was going to sell at end of this year. Worth far more than what I owed. Prices extremely strong at present so decided to pay finance off and sell now. Got a really very very good price for it from the dealer I bought it from. Bought a cracking 2019 S3 and put £51k back in my pension pot. 911 GTS is a fantastically quick car but believe me the S3 is more fun.

S3 more fun than a 911 GTS? You keep telling yourself that, but hey, you are quids in

This threat makes interesting reading for me as I've been considering having the B & O sound system fitted to my 8V A3. It's an expensive upgrade, so I'm trying to work out if it's actually worth it or not. One specific question I have is that in the retrofit details (from Hazzydayz) it states that there is a speaker in the cabin roof to monitor sound and adjust the volume accordingly. Is this actually 'noise cancelling' or does it just increase and decrease the volume - if it's the latter, that's something that my standard sound systme in the car already does pretty well. ... so is it noise cancelling or just volume adjusting?

Thanks all.

I have never of a speaker in the roof to monitor the sound mentioned anywhere. If there was something it would be a mic not a speaker. I cannot comment if it is worth the extra money as I have not heard the standard system but in my option it is a poor system for the money I paid. I have had a lot better standard sounding systems over the years in other cars.

Not sure if this will help in the slightest but I have had 3 A4 B9s over the last 3 years all with B&O C&S.

1) Great sound in 2018 B9 S4 Avant, loved it hence making sure I specced it in next car

2) Poor & empty sound in 2019 B9 RS4. Couldn’t believe it was the same system and spent long time trying to work out why the same system could sound so bad in a different car. Exhaust was decent though so not overly important! Almost as if the engine resonance played havoc with the B&O but can’t imagine how that could be possible. My wife even commented on the difference and she’s no audiophile.

3) Now have a 2021 B9.5 A4 Allroad and it is back to what it should be, great sound from B&O …

However, when test driving a few other Audis in the past month with and without C&S pack I ended up being prepared to buy one without the B&O as the basic stereo seemed decent and only lacked a bit of definition. Was fine and totally adequate for my ageing ears.
in other words Dealbreaker - no.

The reason I went for the B and O is that the standard System only has 6 speakers which frightened me into spending the extra (along with the fact that I wanted the rear camera and front sensors).

Reactions: Brian Leslie
I have never of a speaker in the roof to monitor the sound mentioned anywhere. If there was something it would be a mic not a speaker. I cannot comment if it is worth the extra money as I have not heard the standard system but in my option it is a poor system for the money I paid. I have had a lot better standard sounding systems over the years in other cars

This threat makes interesting reading for me as I've been considering having the B & O sound system fitted to my 8V A3. It's an expensive upgrade, so I'm trying to work out if it's actually worth it or not. One specific question I have is that in the retrofit details (from Hazzydayz) it states that there is a speaker in the cabin roof to monitor sound and adjust the volume accordingly. Is this actually 'noise cancelling' or does it just increase and decrease the volume - if it's the latter, that's something that my standard sound systme in the car already does pretty well. ... so is it noise cancelling or just volume adjusting?

Thanks all.

The system has a microphone integrated in the ceiling of the cockpit and is used for the speed dependent volume control which measures changing noise conditions and automatically adapts the volume and balance accordingly.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Ok, so definitely not noise cancelling then? (And yes, sorry, of course I meant microphone not speaker in the roof!)

Ok, so definitely not noise cancelling then? (And yes, sorry, of course I meant microphone not speaker in the roof!)
Nope - bit more detail here on the systems in the different audi models

Does everyone get vocals from the low door speakers? Mine just seems to be the backing track and the vocals come from the speakers on the dassh I was facing the same front low speakers have no sound and rear low speakers have sound and better after factory reset

Hi, took delivery of a new S3 at the end of June and absolutely loving the car.

One thing is that I am completely disappointed in the Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System. I have tried different settings and just sounds like it has got a blanket over it! My stock audio in my previous Octavia was much better.

Anyone else experienced this got any ideas?

Thanks.
the worst sound i ever had in my car ever.

Oh yea, I only really noticed this today after these posts, I did put my ear, and no vocals from front door speaker, but it's vibrating, so def something coming through there..Then again I guess vocals are best coming from 4x mid-range and 2 x tweeters? Likewise I did sit in the rear to listen to the music, it doesn't sound that good from the rear seats as with most cars (unless you're in car predominnatly driven by driver, and you're in the rear seat). Tried my best to press my ear towards the C-pillar speaker (assuming this is a mid-range?) didn't hear much or anything obvious, or maybe I didn't put my surround settings high enough? My music is high-bit-rate MP3s from USB. Shame I can't try this with CD.
you are right, poor sound

Does everyone get vocals from the low door speakers? Mine just seems to be the backing track and the vocals come from the speakers on the dash
yes vocal comes only from 4 speaker on dash. i dont know why they make that **** sound system. they must stop selling it

the worst sound i ever had in my car ever.
What cars stereo did you have before? If you are coming from HK, Naim, B&W, Burmeister then yea it would likely sound poorer.

vocals only from 4 dash speakers. all doors playing low end plus tweeters. ist vary bad sound. the worst sound i ever had. b&o is **** on a3 8y