Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System

SaintMac

Reaction score
Hi, took delivery of a new S3 at the end of June and absolutely loving the car.

One thing is that I am completely disappointed in the Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System. I have tried different settings and just sounds like it has got a blanket over it! My stock audio in my previous Octavia was much better.

Anyone else experienced this got any ideas?

Thanks.

Have a look here?

I have the same car with B&O sound and at first I was a bit disappointed, but over time it has got better and better. The speakers do need time to settle in.

Reactions: AdamInKent and DreamInCode
I personally think it’s garbage. I had the Harmon Kardon in my M140 and that blows it away. The HK in the 3 series is even better again. I have an A3 and when you turn it up all the doors rattle too. So disappointed with it all as I love loud music but can’t bare rattling interior. The bass doesn’t go as deep as I’d like and all the sound seems to come from the centre of the dash which I hate.

I guess it's all up due to what one has experienced prior. Even with the car's power, if you are coming from a 75PS N/A engine a 30TFSI would be 'fast.' If it's always been stock sound systems, B&O might be superwow but when compared to HK, Dynaudio, Naim or B&W, then B&O might fall a bit short. I haven't got my B&O soundsytem yet, but in a weeks time I will see! I sometimes sit in cars (before pandemic) at car supermarkets or deadlerships, just to test their soundsytem. I do admit the BMW 3 series HK is very nice, have sat in one for a long-ish journey. You can see the silver tweeters in the area where the mirror is. However I felt the most complete one thus far is the HK in the Mini. I haven't sat in any cars with B&W and Naim, as those are well over my budget.

I'm still waiting for my car, but my partner's Nissan Qashqai has a BOSE system, which I love, but can be a bit droney at times.

Hoping the B&O outperforms the BOSE

I was in a Audi main dealer a few weeks back and the sales guy I deal with said they have had a lot of negative feedback on the 8y B an O system .

For me I find the sound dominates from the centre speaker at the front underneath the front windscreen, regardless of any settings I change/try. I had a A5 cab previously where I just changed the fader to be focused more on the rear and this really helped - this does not seem to work in the 8Y with the 3D sound so assuming this is unique to the new 3D sound. Currently I do not even feel/hear the car has a sub.

I've had 2 new A3 8Y due to rejection and the replacement sounds better than the first. So I don't know...maybe something wasn't set up or powered correctly in the 1st.
The sound is meant to project from dash speaker so sound hits windscreen and reflects back through the car. My sub definately works...i thought the car was making a strange noise until I realised it was the sub base in my music that I wasn't used to.

They'll switch it to a SONOS system soon anyway the same as the A1 and Q3 I believe

Reactions: Mryolon
I still feel with the B&O the centre speaker dominates sound. just a shame you cannot adjust this.

Isn't A1 going to be end of Line model?

Reactions: auzzam_crd
Yep I read this is the last due to the inefficient cost of making it electric for the future

With new models of the same car getting bigger with each iteration, dropping the A1 would be a real shame.

The current A1 8Y is virtually the same size as the A3 8L

Last edited:
Reactions: DreamInCode
I guess it's all up due to what one has experienced prior. Even with the car's power, if you are coming from a 75PS N/A engine a 30TFSI would be 'fast.' If it's always been stock sound systems, B&O might be superwow but when compared to HK, Dynaudio, Naim or B&W, then B&O might fall a bit short. I haven't got my B&O soundsytem yet, but in a weeks time I will see! I sometimes sit in cars (before pandemic) at car supermarkets or deadlerships, just to test their soundsytem. I do admit the BMW 3 series HK is very nice, have sat in one for a long-ish journey. You can see the silver tweeters in the area where the mirror is. However I felt the most complete one thus far is the HK in the Mini. I haven't sat in any cars with B&W and Naim, as those are well over my budget.
To be honest, I would have expected B&O to outperform or the above mentioned brands as they are highly regarded, but my feeling is that the only thing B&O about the system is the name on the grill. I wouldn’t be surprised if these were cheap speakers with their name slapped on them with a juicer amp and subwoofer to make it a little bit better than standard. I reckon most people wouldn’t notice, but if you’re someone who is used to having good sound systems in the house, then this will probably fall short of your expectations.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Just recieved the car with B&O, first impressions (without touching any settings) playing from high bit rate MP3 via a USB with songs I know. It's decent fidelity (if not a bit biased on the treble). I'm sure it will get better once 'run in.' This is no doubt this is the 'uprated' sound system. For now, I still think the HK in Mini is superior, but...I will report back after several tens of hrs of running in the B&O and playing with settings. Another Audi car that I thought the soundsystem was wow was a mate's older A5 or A6 not sure (I think) that had the tweeters come out of the dash. Pretty sure that was B&O as well, and that was awesome.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Only having my car for less than a week, I am struggling to get the ‘right’ sound out of the B&O. I like my sound bassy but clear and I am finding that hard to achieve. At the moment it goes not sound half as good as the golf I have just returned and that had a standard set up. Even my wife has commented on the poor sound and I had to convince her to let me purchase the B&O in the first place so you can see where this is going.

Agreed clarity is there, treble is there, bass I'm not quite sure where it's gone, it's there, but could do with a bit more oomph. For now doesn't sound like it has a sub (at least I haven't touched any sound settings yet).

Ok so I've had more time today to tweak the settings on the B&O, and strangely maybe now it's been used a couple of hours, it appears that the sub and bass has awoken. I did tweak it a bit though. Now it sounds different (fuller and better to my ears) to 2 days before. I did have to put bass and sub to + 3-4 on the settings, and now I can def hear 'sub like' bass in the songs. Treble I put it at + 2, however I didn't hear much difference on the surround settings.

Same here, it sounded gash on default settings but after a few days and a tweek it's very rich in bass. Brings out some rattles tho depending on frequency

Could you share the settings you used @Cent @KXL it would be useful to try them. I just feel the sound is to heavy from the centre speaker below the front window.

Could you share the settings you used @Cent @KXL it would be useful to try them. I just feel the sound is to heavy from the centre speaker below the front window.
The settings i used to 'my liking' as of today. It may not suit everyone's liking.
Please note I do not like excessive bass (eg...Beats headphones type, no no. Prefer Shure headphones and home hifi, but like decent bass).
Source: Mp3 high bitrate
Treble: + 2
Bass: + 3
Sub: + 4
Focus: All
Surround: 0
3D Sound: medium (for now, may change it)

Day 1 (guess speakers only run in 2-3 hrs from delivery drive) using the sytem, I left it everything at stock, clarity and treble was there, bass, no idea where it went.
Day 2 (4-5 hrs) using the system, I tweaked the bass a bit, but was still left not entirely satisfied
Day 3 (5-7 hrs) using the system, the bass magically appears (or I was deaf day 1 and day 2), and even tuning the sub and bass high, it was too much. But I did the same on day 2, but it wasn't as powerful the bass I mean. I still think the system needs at least another 10+ hrs of running in, and do supect that bass would get more powerful over time and I would need to tune it down 1 or 2 units, but until then, I'm happy with the above settings.

I'm going to say that once the engine is run in the first 1000 miles, so would the B&O sound system! Currently at 250 miles.
I also did open the boot to 'hear' the sub, and yes it's def there thumping away.

Reactions: DreamInCode and AdamInKent
Maybe try 3D surround to off?

Reactions: AdamInKent
Same here, it sounded gash on default settings but after a few days and a tweek it's very rich in bass. Brings out some rattles tho depending on frequency
ugh, I hate rattles, those drive me nuts!

My settings atm
Treb 2
Bass 5
Sub 4
Surround 6
3d surround high

After just over a week and twiddling the system it is starting to sound better. Must be some thing about bedding in! I also think the surround sound settings do not help the sound. Maybe it is giving a false reproduction. At the minute I have
Treb +2
Bass +3
Sub +4
Surround 0
3D surround med
Fader towards the back 1 notch to balance the centre speaker out
I have just played my goto song Dire Straits Money for Nothing intro, which I have always used since my first car 30 years ago. If I can play this full volume without distortion but plenty of bass, then I am half way there.
I am a little disappointed with the lack of volume. I expected the system to be louder!

Perhaps B&O isn't all about bass and volume, guess that one is for Beats domain or Fender?

Reactions: AdamInKent and DreamInCode
I definitely agree that the B&O system needs to be run in (not unusual for decent speakers) and that it is set up as a neutral sounding system (ie designed to appeal to people who want the music to sound as much as possible like it did in the recording studio).

I finally had a chance for a good long listen to some albums that I know well today at decent volume (I was driving solo, on motorways). I’m now at about 1,500 miles, so both car and stereo are well run in. And i reckon this is a really good system. Vocals sound smooth; percussion is punchy; and everything sounds good and well balanced.

I reckon, if you want it sounding at its best, then switch off the surround and 3D effects - but that’s personal preference.

I personally think it’s garbage. I had the Harmon Kardon in my M140 and that blows it away. The HK in the 3 series is even better again. I have an A3 and when you turn it up all the doors rattle too. So disappointed with it all as I love loud music but can’t bare rattling interior. The bass doesn’t go as deep as I’d like and all the sound seems to come from the centre of the dash which I hate.
I have to say that I spoke to soon on the b & o. I think it’s finally broke in as I’m actually pretty impressed with it. The bass is really good and gets very low. It feels like all of the speakers are working together now, as before it seemed like it was only the centre channel which was working. The build quality of the door cards let the system down as the do tend to rattle depending on what you’re listening too.

Reactions: Q5 TRS and DreamInCode
Does everyone get vocals from the low door speakers? Mine just seems to be the backing track and the vocals come from the speakers on the dash

Hi Vivek, I find the same no matter what settings I change the sounds seems to be more dominant from the centre speaker. So different to my previous A5 CAB and the older B&O. Just does not give the same sound quality all round. If anyone one has any suggestions appreciated it.

Oh yea, I only really noticed this today after these posts, I did put my ear, and no vocals from front door speaker, but it's vibrating, so def something coming through there..Then again I guess vocals are best coming from 4x mid-range and 2 x tweeters? Likewise I did sit in the rear to listen to the music, it doesn't sound that good from the rear seats as with most cars (unless you're in car predominnatly driven by driver, and you're in the rear seat). Tried my best to press my ear towards the C-pillar speaker (assuming this is a mid-range?) didn't hear much or anything obvious, or maybe I didn't put my surround settings high enough? My music is high-bit-rate MP3s from USB. Shame I can't try this with CD.

I was thinking whether it was a similar set up to your surround sound on your tv where the centre speaker is predominantly voice. This would explain why a lot of people are commenting about most of the sound coming from the centre speaker. It would be good to see what happens when all the surround settings are turned off.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100
I have to say that I spoke to soon on the b & o. I think it’s finally broke in as I’m actually pretty impressed with it. The bass is really good and gets very low. It feels like all of the speakers are working together now, as before it seemed like it was only the centre channel which was working. The build quality of the door cards let the system down as the do tend to rattle depending on what you’re listening too.

I agree that the sound seems better after 3000 miles. And I use the speakers pretty much all the time I’m in the car. Pity about the lack of padding in the door cards pockets too to help prevent things rattling around. I keep my house keys there. Might look into getting some felt. Ali baba will probably have some soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The B & O system in my 2019 S3 is far far superior to the Bose system in the 2017 911GTS I just sold. I`m really pleased with it.

Reactions: MA3RC
You went from a 911 GTS to a S3 what were you thinking :laughing:
I had the 911 since December 2018. Was going to sell at end of this year. Worth far more than what I owed. Prices extremely strong at present so decided to pay finance off and sell now. Got a really very very good price for it from the dealer I bought it from. Bought a cracking 2019 S3 and put £51k back in my pension pot. 911 GTS is a fantastically quick car but believe me the S3 is more fun.

I had the 911 since December 2018. Was going to sell at end of this year. Worth far more than what I owed. Prices extremely strong at present so decided to pay finance off and sell now. Got a really very very good price for it from the dealer I bought it from. Bought a cracking 2019 S3 and put £51k back in my pension pot. 911 GTS is a fantastically quick car but believe me the S3 is more fun.
Makes sense I guess . S3's are great cars to own I bought mine in 2019 brand new and really enjoy it as a everyday car .
What colour and spec did you go for ?

Ara blue black edition, diamond cut wheels, B & O, sports seats, mag ride, MMI. Love it to bits already.

Reactions: Mr Freeze