Basic question on camera detection sensitivity in parking mode

dieselguy

Reaction score
Hi, have a basic question. Would the in car camera detect someone keying your car in parking mode? I know it will detect a bump but what about key scratch where it may not be done with the same force. Thanks.

It won't detect someone scratching the car as it's not sensitive enough.

I have the power magic controller fitted, so the cameras (F&R) run in continuous recording mode, for at least 6-7 hours after I've powered down. (Blackview 650S)

:racer:

Thanks RAF. Yeah I didn't think it was that sensitive. But good to know the power magic can do 6-7 hours.
But then again, if some nutter wants to scratch the car, there's not much I can do.

Having a camera won't nessecarily prevent someone scratching the car, but having evidence of who did it, combined with the power of social media can at least name and shame them, and bring to justice if needed.

The Power Magic keep alive time is completely dependant on the condition of your car battery. An older car with its original battery may only give you an hour or so recording time.....

:racer:

Name and shame is all I can do, as I'm sure the police won't do sh** these days.

With my Blackvue DR650GW-1CH with a PowerMagic Pro in parking mode it records all the time, but doesnt store any clips unless:
1. There is enough movement in front of the camera.
2. It detects a bump in the vehicle.

So it might just be possible to get someone keying.
When the camera is triggerd it jumps back a few seconds and then records.

The Thinkware F770 (probably other too, but its what I've got) can do time lapse in parking mode, so may be more useful if your are worried about that sort of thing.

Thinkware F770 has motion detection recording and time lapse recording in parking mode.
You can alter the sensitivity of it as well.
Very good Dash Cam if you ask me.