Battery charging

Geoff Morritt

Reaction score
Afternoon all. With the car doing limited small runs to the shops when needed, it isn’t getting a good run to charge the battery. I only have a normal battery charger and not a trickle charger. Can I charge the car whilst it is still fully connected or do I have to remove /disconnect the battery?
Thanks,
Geoff M

Afternoon all. With the car doing limited small runs to the shops when needed, it isn’t getting a good run to charge the battery. I only have a normal battery charger and not a trickle charger. Can I charge the car whilst it is still fully connected or do I have to remove /disconnect the battery?
Thanks,
Geoff M
Connect your charger up to the positive connection under the flap on the scuttle panel and the negative point on top of the near side strut.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

As above, not an issue charging with a normal charger and everything connected. I had mine on charge the other day for around 3 hours.

Realistically, how long will a battery stay charge when the car is not being used for a while?

My car has 114k on the clocks and is usually doing 500 miles per week, but it has basically been mothballed for the past few weeks and for the foreseeable future with working from home arrangements.

A 6-7 year old car sitting locked with the alarm on this time of the year I would of thought 2-3 weeks and you would probably be good. Much more than 3 weeks and you are probably pushing it. But all depends on the state of the battery. And If it does run completely flat this will not do the battery any good at all. There will probably be a lot of people buying new batteries in a few months time.

Just to chip in my 2014 S4 was sitting for up to 3 weeks at a time between use. Most of the time this was fine but occasionally I'd notice certain things had been shut down, for example the coming home lights would not activate on unlock and the radio would be off when I'd left it on. I did some Googling which suggested the car starts shutting things down to prioritise starting. I can confirm the car always started first time but 3 weeks felt like the limit to me.

Just to chip in my 2014 S4 was sitting for up to 3 weeks at a time between use. Most of the time this was fine but occasionally I'd notice certain things had been shut down, for example the coming home lights would not activate on unlock and the radio would be off when I'd left it on. I did some Googling which suggested the car starts shutting things down to prioritise starting. I can confirm the car always started first time but 3 weeks felt like the limit to me.
If you did a fault scan it would have probably shown up as energy management active, I think it's 12.2V when it kicks in and starts to limit some functions.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: scotty76 and rabhrab