Battery cover missing?

sebtomato

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an A3 from late 2017.

Sent to to Halfords for a major service after 3.5 years, as the car computer was reporting "an oil + inspection" service required. Service includes oil change, filter change, brake fluid change and a number of checks, including battery checks.

I have the feeling they removed something on top of the battery when they checked it (see picture). I don't remember the top of the battery being previously exposed, although I can't be sure as I didn't open the bonnet that often.

I told the manager, and he said there was nothing previously. He said that there was no plastic case around the battery (only soft material) so a plastic cover couldn't have been there.

Any views?

Attachments

• 20210623_155541.jpg
    20210623_155541.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Facelifts didn't come with the battery cover as far as I know

Facelifts didn't come with the battery cover as far as I know
Thanks. I have had so many A3s that I might confuse myself with a previous version. Arguably, the top of the battery didn't have much dust, so that would seem to indicate some cover being present.

They would have given the battery and the top of the engine a wipe over when they finished the service.

Reactions: sebtomato
My facelift (2017 Model Year) A3 has a flap hinged on the lhs which covers the top of the battery. Made from same material as the surrounding cover.

My MY18 has only the cover around the sides, not over the top of the battery. I acquired a spare 2Q0 915 418 G and that also has only 4 sides, no top cover.

It should be simple to determine if its missing the flap top as the side would show where its ripped of, but as above I dont believe yours had 1 to begin with.

My facelift (2017 Model Year) A3 has a flap hinged on the lhs which covers the top of the battery. Made from same material as the surrounding cover.
Interesting, thanks!

The surrounding cover is indeed made of fabric, but no flap or top. I can't see any indication that it was ripped/removed, so I can only assume there was nothing at the top on mine.