Battery dead and key not working!

Adeel43

Reaction score
2005 2.0 t sportback

Wife went out to today (lucky she was at home!) and the remote is not working. To top it off the key will not turn in the barrel either not even the AA could help!

Any ideas or suggestions anyone? How do I avoid breaking the window to get in?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That's a very tricky one to answer as it could easily give information to a potential thief on how to access a car without a key.
I don't know the answer unfortunately, but in this instance you may need to check your insurance to see if you have a form of key cover included.

As an after thought, does the boot open when you long press the button?
Does the passenger side have a key hole? (never use mine so don't know if they have one)

Reactions: Adeel43
Passenger side has no key hole and the battery is TOTALLY dead. My indy reckons he can jump it from under the car so just need to wait for him to come out to me and then we can use the remote fob to open it. Was hoping it might be easier!

The key won't turn in the barrel, that's bizarre as even when battery dead the door mechanics unlocks to gain entry.

Sounds like the barrel plastic tab isnt located into the lock to work the door.

Ground he can use chassis but positive will be fun to reach too, only needs short touch on the fuse panel to unlock, maybe he can get to that or reach the bonnet lock cable to release.

Good luck with that, maybe needs a key lock barrel on the boot to get into lol

Good luck with that, maybe needs a key lock barrel on the boot to get into lol
Yes literally cant believe the only key entry point is the drivers door!

I think it's just cause your driver's lock has maybe been changed & badly fitted so the barrel plastic tab isn't located into the turn lock as it should be mate, it's a pita to get right but maybe someone's either been lazy & overlooked this or its broken off.

As stated above if the battery is dead on the car then it's usually possible to connect to the starter motor positive connection, and anywhere on the body of the car to put some charge in the battery. You may have to jack the car up and remove the undertray but cheaper than replacing glass.

Hopefully he can get to it before the weekend. I'll report back with an update

The fire brigade have these big pneumatic shears and they will just cut the roof of for you, saves fiddling about underneath + you then have a cabriolet so win win..

Reactions: aqibi2000 and NHN
The fire brigade have these big pneumatic shears and they will just cut the roof of for you, saves fiddling about underneath + you then have a cabriolet so win win..

Paddys back, back again......lol

Win win except it would ruin the pano roof!

Lock seized through lack of use? Try some WD40 or penetrating oil.....
Pretty sure the door lock was not refitted by the tit (me) who tried to replace it a few weeks ago!

Quick update. Called the AA out again and this time they listened to me. Jacked the car up, engine tray off, jump pack on the starter motor and just enough to get the remote working and get a door open. Battery was tested and found to be dead so replaced under AA warranty for a nee one. It was only a year old and still have 3 years warranty left so haply days!

Reactions: Daveyonthemove, dave_beastttt and paddy