Battery drain question.

Rgrahamvox

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2007 a3 dsg sportback. When I bought it a year ago, the battery was flat and seller said it needed a new one. Knocked some money off so got the car and dropped my battery in from my golf I was scrapping (correct battery). Car was in daily use so never had an issue. However if left for over 24 hours, again it would be flat. Just left it for months as I used it every day and wasn't an issue. 2 weeks ago, I bought a brand new battery for it, hoping that was the issue. Went on holiday, got back to a dead battery. Fortunately I got breakdown cover in my renewal! So, obviously now knowing it's not the battery, I took it to my garage. Just picked it up and they advised me about it.

This is what I want to ask. I didn't really understand what they were telling me, hopefully someone can clear it up.

Basically they did the whole fuse pulling thing. Discovered it was a fuse in the box under the bonnet for the water pump. They told me this was the fuse pulling all the power (a lot!) and completely dropped when they took it out. They also told me this car doesn't have an electric water pump so it doesn't need the fuse. My question is, if that is the case, why would this fuse be present and pulling power? Obviously someone could put it in by mistake, but if it's for something that isn't electric why would the fuse be pulling power? They've taken it out, I've driven the car, everything is absolutely fine with it, it's not getting hot or anything, everything is working etc. It's just a local garage who we are friends with, so cheap and cheerful, is there a chance the fuse was for something else and I have another issue that needs sorting? Or someone just put one in that it didn't need and it's been drawing power for years?

Any ideas really appreciated. Any more info, photos etc I can provide.

Hope I've explained it well, cheers.

Just a bit more information.

Having checked, the fuse they have removed is F9, I do not know what it is linked to.

Edit- looking in the manual it is either for mobile/satnav/tv (none of which my car has), or it's vacant.

Attachments

• received_2044414882537008.jpeg
    received_2044414882537008.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Look up Parasitic drain and the explaination given for it could answer your question about fuse and power

Yeah I had read up about it a bit over time, even invested in a multimeter but my technical knowledge is limited. Basically just wondering what the fuse is for so I know whether I have a further issue I need to sort, for example if it was satnav/phone/tv fuse, something this car has never had fitted, standard or otherwise, why would it be draining. Or, if in my fuse box version it is a vacant slot, how/why would it drain. As far as i can tell, this fuse was the issue. Hopefully I may be in the clear.

I know i should've probably got clarification from the garage, but them saying a fuse for a water pump that it doesn't need threw me, and from past questions I know everyone here is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I guess I just need to see how it goes from now, will just always niggle in my mind that removing this fuse may result in another issue down the line, or mask a further problem.

Cheers.

What you could do is put another fuse same amp into the same slot and test for drain , then remove fuse and test again and see if all is ok if so then you know the garage has told the truth .
Then best advice after that is check your battery with multimeter and see what voltage ur getting then see what the live data off your battery is when running using a Vcd's cable and if all is ok there then leave your alone as you dont want to play with electric's as thats a maze off wiring

What engine do you have in your A3? I know S4 has this at the top of the radiator and some Seat TDi have this to cool the EGR