Battery drain

Pennypacker

Reaction score
Hello.

Having a problem with my Audi A4 B6 2001 causing the battery to get drained when the car is stood still.

My hazard light switch will stay illuminated at all hours and my key buttons will only work once every 100 clicks or something like that.
I have measured the drain to 0.7Amps.

When i disconnect the battery for 20-30 seconds, and lock the car the hazard light will turn off after 30 seconds and the key will work every single time i click a button on it. After i've reconnected the battery and turn the ignition on the same problem will emerge until i disconnect the battery again. The drain when i've disconnected the battery and not started the car again is 0.02Amps.

When i pulled fuse 24, the drain will drop to 0.08 after about 30 seconds, and then down to 0.02 after 1-2 minutes. When i reinsert the fuse it will continue to draw 0.7Amps at all times when the car is stood still, unlike when i disconnect the battery itself.

There are no fault codes stored in the system.

Have you checked your relays maybe one is staying open

No I haven't, can it be a relay though ? Since it resets when i disconnect and reconnect the battery and is working properly until i turn the ignition on ? The relay would just stay open at all times i would have thought, even if i pulled the power.

If your hazards staying on then the cars not shutting down / going sleep

You have something staying on, have you got the rns-e ???

Might be worth having the alternator checked? One simple way to check would be to unplug it and see if that stops the drain over night. Certainly this turned out to be the cause of battery drain on a Land Rover many years ago - as I recall, the diode pack had failed.

You need to check the car for faults with VAG-COM / VCDS . There are 2 can bus systems A and B and if either has an issue the CCM doesn't goto sleep.

Karl.

Ran VCDS and it had no errors in it. Used the connection just down by the hood latch to connect to.

Was VCDS-Lite

Last edited:
Fuse 24 appears to feed the intermittent wiper switch and the automatic intermittent wash wipe relay . Does the wash wipe function work OK, can you alter the intermittent time ?
Fuse 39 is the one that feeds the hazzard switch which shouldn't really be on all the time.

Karl.

Think that's the wrong chassis :) It's the B6 model. Fuse 24 and 38 says Central Comfort Electronics.

Nevertheless Wiper function works as it should :)

What engine do you have in your car ?. Have you disconnected fuse 24 and looked to see what doesn't work ?

Karl.

My engine is a mere 1.6litre, engine code ALZ.

Can check tomorrow what i see malfunctioning by removing fuse 24 as it is getting late here in Norway :)

Just had the same issue with mine, the only way I could get the cars systems to shut down and the hazard switch to go out was to leave the two central convenience fuses out.
The has been reports on here of the steering wheel control module, door modules etc, keeping the car awake.
Have you tried pulling the fuse for any of the these and leaving it?

Turned out with mine it was the central convenience module, worked perfectly, just wouldn't shut down and go to sleep.

There's plenty of second hand ones available, just check for compatabilty with your keys, think they changed around 2003 - 2004..
Looking around £330 for a new one..

Just had the same issue with mine, the only way I could get the cars systems to shut down and the hazard switch to go out was to leave the two central convenience fuses out.
The has been reports on here of the steering wheel control module, door modules etc, keeping the car awake.
Have you tried pulling the fuse for any of the these and leaving it?

Turned out with mine it was the central convenience module, worked perfectly, just wouldn't shut down and go to sleep.

There's plenty of second hand ones available, just check for compatabilty with your keys, think they changed around 2003 - 2004..
Looking around £330 for a new one..

Well, when i pull the fuse for steering column it all lights up like a christmas tree if i remember correctly. Fuse 13 or 15 i think is what does that.

Did yours shut down when u took power from the battery and left it out for about 30 seconds and then reconnected ?

Think that's the wrong chassis :) It's the B6 model. Fuse 24 and 38 says Central Comfort Electronics.

Nevertheless Wiper function works as it should :)
My bad looked up a B5 instead of B6 as they swap over at 2001. As both of those fuses are for feeds to the CCM module I would say your issue is quite possibly due to damp ingress in the car. Is your car left or right hand drive.
The CCM module lives under the carpet under the passenger seat on a RHD car, I believe it's under the drivers seat on a LHD car.
If water gets under the carpet it can cause a lot of issues as you are seeing.

Karl.

Defo worth checking for damp as Karl says, can be quite common, mine was bone dry though and still played up.
Think it did stay out after re connecting the battery, until the ignition was turned on, then it played up again.
I just got it in the garage with an ammeter and systematically went through everything until it settled..

Having trouble with fuse 38 also. 02 a4 b6 1.8t quattro 5 speed. When fuse 38 is plugged in I am getting almost 12v on my k line.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk