Battery Drain

Why have you tapped into the headlight wire when there's loads of other places you could get ign live from ???? It's a wonder your headlight switch has not burnt out

Oh dear I'll change them both. Where is the best place to take an ignition live bud?

Have you opened the ecu box to the left of the battery under the bonnet to see if the relays are wet, they are situated under the ecu and it looks bone dry from above, you can only tell if there is water damage by lifting up the ecu after removing its retaining clip.
My battery went dead as the fan came on due to the relay sitting in water. The fault reader I used said it had about 15 faults and none of them seamed to be linked. I removed the water and renewed the fan relay and glow plug relay and it sorted it.
Hope this helps, if not then I'm out of ideas, good luck!

Well everything is back together and the car has been locked for 30 minutes and the light has stayed off. It went off shortly after locking.
I always hook up a permanent live in the glove box on my cars. Great for charging things you don't want on display.
WP 20160124 15 05 25 Pro

Took mine from a fuse can't remember which one now but it's one you don't use buts it powered up

Well everything is back together and the car has been locked for 30 minutes and the light has stayed off. It went off shortly after locking.
I always hook up a permanent live in the glove box on my cars. Great for charging things you don't want on display.
View attachment 77949
Good news mate, if your stereo and glove box connector were wired long before it started playing up then chances are they weren't the problem.
My money is still on damp somewhere, that's now dried.
I'd give it another week indoors anyway to make sure mate, Toyota turbotastic!!

The last thing I checked / removed was the CCM last night. I took the board out of the box and left it over a radiator for a few hours. Maybe disturbing it has improved a connection. If it plays up again I'll get some sachets of silca gel to stuff in the box.
Tbh I've never been that careful to avoid the passenger sill getting wet so any damp could find it's way down towards the CCM, perhaps?
Finished replacing the old paper cone speakers in the Celica, tweeters turned up today, yes today! AC/DC sounds epic!

I'm not a great fan of those connectors, I would solder or use a crimp connector.
The black/white wire is an ignition feed........yes?

I'm not a great fan of those connectors, I would solder or use a crimp connector.
The black/white wire is an ignition feed........yes?
No that's an earth wire.
Scotchloks are perfect in this situation and used correctly they are fine. Well I've never had an issue with them!

I'm not doubting you, just advising that black wires are normally an ignition feed, earth is brown. You look at the wires going into the back of the fusebox on the o/s full of reds (perm live) black (ign).

Reactions: BakPak
Just checked with a meter and we have continuity between the Audi cigar lighter earth and the earth on glove box connector.
Maybe it's a naughty earth and not dressed correctly!

Reactions: Sturat
Anything I plugged into that connector would have a very bad day if this wire suddenly turned live!
Next time I pop out for a smoke I'll check bud.

Nah.....2 lives won't do anything!!
Until the ignition is turned off, then the small load you are running will get a path to earth through all the things that come on with the ignition.
Connect a small light across a permanent live and an ignition live, hey presto it lights up when ignition is off..

Did you ever notice your chargers not working when the ignition is on??

It charges things fine whether engine off, ignition on or running. It must be providing 12v to the Satnav when running. It wouldn't last long without external power, I have the brightness set to max. I also charge my phone while driving and occasionally leave it in the glove box to charge when I'm away from the car. I also use it power a tyre inflator, very slow puncture on the Celica. I can safely say that is a 12v power point.

Scanner turned up, at last. Neat bit of kit for £40. Had loads of codes to clear because of all the faffing around I've been doing. The only 2 that come back are below. Some input on them would be appreciated guys please. Found a perfect spot for the scanner to live too!
WP 20160125 15 39 35 Pro
WP 20160125 15 41 47 Pro
WP 20160125 16 02 43 Pro

Nothing to worry about then? The engine runs smooth, no vibration etc.
What about the steering angle sensor, what's it about and where does it live?

Actually I think that code will clear. The traction control light is on because I disconnected the battery, haven't driven it yet.

The hazard light came on a couple of times so I gave it a quick scan. This came up, I assume it's the light in the door card.
WP 20160125 19 25 48 Pro

Am I correct in thinking this is the door card light? I'm sure some of you guys have talked about interior footwell lights, something my Audi hasn't got.

Where is the sensor located for detecting movement in the cabin when the alarm is armed? Thanks.

On my cab it's under the handbreak so guess it might be in the same place in a saloon

With the rain today the hazard light kept coming on. On the next dry day I'll get the hosepipe out, soak each area at a time and hopefully that will identify the affected area?
Pic below is inside the rear n/s door. Although the loom is wet, unless the insulation sheath is porous this shouldn't matter, should it? The connectors and door lock module are bone dry.
WP 20160123 11 19 11 Pro

The mobule under the hand brake will be the airbag control..
The sensor for detecting movement is in the courtesy light unit up above, the anti jack sensor is inside the ccm.
The footwell lights would be in the footwells and come on when the relevant door is opened, they are powered from the ccm.
Normally the wiring for them isn't there, search for the thread on fitting them on here, for some reason it is picking up a wiring fault so maybe the wiring is there...

Is this fault code possibly covering the door lights too, or do they have a separate fault code?

Quick question on vcds please. Can the immobilizer be completely deactivated leaving the central locking working as normal? Thanks.

You can't deactivate the immobiliser with VCDS . The insulation on the wiring looms is very porous so water does get in there. Normally thats not an issue if there is just wire in there but there are many soldered joints where common wires meet in the loom.
There are plenty of these in the loom on the floor by the CCM. When these get wet over a period of time they rot and you get intermittent connections. They are usually common earth points in the loom.
This is from a Golf thread but you get the idea, The wiring is the same in the Audi.
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/97141-mkiv-interior-monitoring-alarm-wiring-help/page-4

Karl.

Thanks for that bud, I never use the rear windows so I might just put a bead of seal between the weather strip and the glass.
I gave the Celica a wash today and blasted the hell out the drain points in the plenum chamber and either end where the ecu and pollen filter live respectively. No problems with locking after and the hazard light has stayed off. I'll properly dry the n/s rear door tomorrow and seal it up!

You can't deactivate the immobiliser with VCDS . The insulation on the wiring looms is very porous so water does get in there. Normally thats not an issue if there is just wire in there but there are many soldered joints where common wires meet in the loom.
There are plenty of these in the loom on the floor by the CCM. When these get wet over a period of time they rot and you get intermittent connections. They are usually common earth points in the loom.
This is from a Golf thread but you get the idea, The wiring is the same in the Audi.
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/97141-mkiv-interior-monitoring-alarm-wiring-help/page-4

Karl.

Wow just read through that thread. I haven't got the patience to start working my way through the loom like that, taking the whole interior out etc.
My objective, like everyone I'm sure, is to avoid a flat battery. After the next few days if the problem persists I'll simply live with it! If I just shut the doors the car goes into snooze mode after a minute and stays asleep, it's only when locking the car it plays up. I could lock all doors with the drivers door switch, open the drivers door to exit the car and shut the door and leave it unlocked, no problems then. That's why I asked if the immobiliser could be disabled, shame it can't be!

If you think you've got a bad earth then why not just renew the wire and earth it somewhere

Taped the rear doors up, the looms were wet so I'll leave the door cards off for a bit.
WP 20160128 12 09 27 Pro
WP 20160128 12 09 46 Pro
WP 20160128 12 10 47 Pro

Started to rain so I'll take the ecu lid off tomorrow. Does the wiper linkage need removing to get the ecu box out?
WP 20160128 14 50 10 Pro
WP 20160128 14 49 52 Pro
WP 20160128 14 30 02 Pro

Took the ecu out and no sign of any water ingress. The drive where I park at home is on a slope and the grommet under the servo was a bit blocked so it was holding water under and around the ecu (depending on how I park). The wiring from the wiper motor and the brake fluid reservoir was soaked where they go through the bulkhead. Anyway dried it all out with my heat gun and threw it back together. Locked it up and the hazard light has stayed off, till it rains again lol!

WP 20160129 10 50 51 Pro