Battery Question again sorry

Reaction score
Hi, All

I'm looking to change my battery in my A3 2.0 tdi 170 2007.

I want to buy the Varta Silver Dynamic 110 Battery (F18) with 85 AH and 800 Cold cranking amps.

My Question is will the car's
electrical system be ok with 85 Ah?
Will the
alternator able to charge the 85 Ah battery fully?

Varta website have it listed for my car but want to make sure
ProductFinder - VARTA Automotive

The battery in the car at moment is only 61 Ah 330 cold cranking.

Also i have LED's inside and out could the higher Ah's cook the led's

Thanks
Dan

It's the voltage that'll 'cook' a led.
I'm surprised the battery is only 61Ah. Thought diesels had higher amperage due to the use of glow plugs.
You'll be ok with the higher Ah battery as long as it will physically fit in the battery box/compartment. It'll just a bit longer to charge up from new.

Last edited:
The Ah rating of a 170TDi alternator will be able to cope with a 85Ah battery. I am sure the rating of our 2010 170 is 140Ah...

E44 fits no problem mate, done it on mine a few weeks ago. Resolved the ESP fault issues and seems much better and stable at starting, I would say it took a wee while to get it fully charged though.

S

i drive about an hour to work so that should charge it up properly for me. i currently have the battery in the house as i havent had time to fit it but i could always just plug it up to my indoor battery charger and get it fully charged now, you think i should do that?

It should come fully charged but it wouldn't do any harm to give it a full charge on the deck so to speak. At least you know where you are with the battery and can monitor it from there.

S

good thinking...

now back to the OP, like i said im not sure that the battery you have mentioned will fit your car. maybe get the dimensions and see if your current battery box will take it?

Your right!
I just been down to
Auto electrician where was going to get the battery and it's one hell of a big ******!
Way to big for the A3.

About 45 min to bluewater for me.
Just order one them battery's so should get it tomorrow.

Well Fitted mine yesterday. Only little thing was i couldnt get negative fully down on the battery post sticky up by about 3mm.

Hi,

Is it safe to replace old battery (61 Ah, 540A CCA) with "E44 Varta Silver Car Battery" (577400078) (77 AH and 780 Cold Cranking Amps)?

The old battery in my A3 1.9Tdie 105bhp - 2008 is 240mm in length where as the new one is 278mm. I checked battery box, seems around 292mm.

Many Thanks,