BBS CH's and Coilovers

dublife

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
just been to an alloy wheel shop in Leeds today, and they currently have some 19" BBS CH's which will fit my car which I think I am going to get.
I'm also interested in some coilovers, they had a set of H&R coilovers which were hight adjustable but you couldn't adjust the dampers.
He said I had to check one thing before buying though, apparently there is a hole in the front arm (or something? Sorry i forgot) which will either be 55 or 50mm for the coilovers to sit in?. I have a 2.0FSI so does anyone know what it will be?
Please give me your thoughts and feedback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Regards.
Sam.

Forgot to mention, the coilover can vary between 30 - 60mm? This doesn't seem much to me...I'm sceptical but i'd like to hear other peoples opinions..
Pic for views...Hopefully!
BBSCHS.jpg

Sam,

Have you driven a car with coilovers before? I've got a set fitted to my R, or should I say I had, the ride was REALLY hard. Adding 19"s into the equation will make for a very bumbpy ride.

The non adjustable HR's are VERY, VERY stiff.

also check the offset the CH's come in, I think they might be a 30mm offset which could casue problems with rubbing on the front arches combined with lowering. I have th CH's fitted to the golf and had to get the front arches rolled for clearence.

J.

Offset is 50, checked that already...Its just the coilovers im worried about..I'm not too fussed with a bumpy ride, but i'm thinking I would be better of with some KW Variant 2 or 3's?

I havn't actually driven a car with coilovers before, my old golf had Eibach Springs on which I was happy with the ride..
Worse comes to worse though, I can always take them off and sell them?

The difference in ride quality between eibach springs and coilovers isn;t even comparable - I had eibachs on my first mkIV gti 1.8T and lvoed them.

When I bought the R Eibach didn't make springs for them so I decided to take the plunge and stump up for the coilovers.

I went for FK konigsport coilovers - they use Koni inserts and are pretty decent quality for reasonable money.

I'd definately go for something adjustable though!

J.

Thanks for the info married blonde, guess i'm going to have to give the coilovers a miss until i can get hold of some KW's...Pretty bummed, thought I was gonna get it all done in one go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Oh, I forgot to mention that the guy at this shop had a new a3 with 20" RS4's no suspension changes though!

I really want the car lower this time round..So thats why im looking toward coilovers..I'm really considering just putting up with them and if its that bad take them off and sell them. Anyone got any ideas on how big this hole is? 50 or 55mm ??
Cheers.

I had coilovers on my old golf,they were that stiff that they caused the back end to skip around corners,i personally would'nt recommend them as they've gotta be set up just right.Aside from the fact they feel like they are shaking your car to bits!!!!!!!!

Dublife,

Can your local Audi garage give you that information? Is it the strut mount size you're after?

Lee, which brand/type of coilovers were in your golf? Thx.

The CH's are on, i've bought the coilovers otherwise I would just have "what if"ed all the time. Getting them fitted on thursday and ambi-flexed? to set the camber correct. Should have the car back on friday night. I'll try get some pics up for you all to see.

Meanwhile, on the topic.. could S-Line owners comment a bit on their suspension? I've been thinking about changing my "SE" suspension to S-Line, since I don't want to sacrifise ride quality, while I do want it a bit more down, and a bit firmer. I'm waiting to get prices, and few have said that those non-OEM suspensions don't make A3 too comfortable (and trust me, roads are baaaaad here after winter). Also, the S-Line's (20+15mm?) lowering is what I want, more is unacceptable, I wouldn't get out of the parking lot at winters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Mine feels just the same as it did with the standard springs on (just looks better),s-line's are stiff anyway.

Yeah, but I'm going to need to buy new coilovers anyway, and that's the problem. Stiff isn't necessarily bad, but surface-hard (what's the right word for this in English?) isn't comfortable. And that's what happens with most of the non-OEM springs.

- Yak

Don;t forget to post pics dude, BBS CH's are my all time favourite rim - got them on my golf now. Gutted that they wont fit the audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

J.

Thanks Lee. I was wondering about that myself.

Shresh, I'm not sure I understand you correctly... that remark about a newb was self-derisive, it was directed at me.

sorry Jamin,

got a bit lost there, new to forums!

dublife: that pic you've got at the top of the thread, how much of a drop is that?or if a photoshop job, what would you estimate to be? would be quite a mission getting that off my driveway!

its a photoshop and by the looks of it the wheels compared to the size of the car would be 20 to 22" wheels..

the drop would be 60mm + i would have a guess at 80/90mm to achive that job..

although in real life.. that sort of setup could not be achived without MAJOR arch work and wider aches overall..

would be something to do, if you had nothing else to do for quite a while.

i think 19s will do me, and about a 20mm drop. what sort of spring/shock set up should i use for that drop on a tdi sport?

[No worries shresh]

Not so sure you can go from a street setup to a race setup on the side of a track...? and the problem is, if you truly set up your car for trackwork, it won't be any good on the street IMHO. Where do you most drive your A3? What type of roads, surface, etc?

There definitely is such a thing as too stiff, and I'm not talking comfort here, but sheer effectiveness on the street.

i only really drive on tarmac roads, but not always the best roads. a few of my local country lanes have got unfilled potholes recently which isn't too pleasant when caught out. the car won't really come off tarmac, although i need ground clearance for speed bumps which i tend to encounter a lot - lot of town, london, motorway driving and country roads on weekends... the usual. however i'm not too worried about ride comfort as i'm young and irresponsible (except behind the wheel....)

my mate's rx7 has been lowered a little and rides very stiff, but I wouldn't mind my audi running like that in the name of grip and stability. I know i'll never optimise my road audi for the track by the side of the track, but would like to get close. how easy are height-adjustable dampers adjusted?

dublife: so cool it's become my screen saver ;-)

shresh, I can't answer that as I have never owned a set of coilovers. But you have to:

- take the wheels off
- pray the threads aren't full of road grime or simply stuck
- whip out the spanners and span away, BUT:

how will you know you've achieved equal height all around?

One of the biggest advantages of coilovers is corner-weighting. Because height can be altered at each corner individually, weight can be made close to equal at each corner. But that takes some fine tuning with scales, which you don't mess with afterwards.

I wish someone with real hands-on knowledge of coilovers would chime in...

Well I've had coilovers on my R32 for a while now. I bought them as I wanted to set the ride height to be what I wanted if you know what I mean. I had eibachs on my 1.8T before that and always wanted it just that little bit lower.

Yes they are a pain in the butt to get the ride height spot on - I did it with a metal rule and a flat peice of ground - can you imagine how sad I looked when I got out the car with a spirit level!

The R rides pretty firm as standard, I set the coilovers to be at the softest setting and only when playing did wind the rebound up. Depending on the make of coilovers a lot of them you have to remove the rear shocks to adjust the damping. the fronts are normally top adjustable and takes 2 secs.

J.

BTW, marriedblonde, which brand coilovers did you go with?

Any other suspension mods, such as anti-roll bars, engine mounts, bushings or chassis braces? TIA

I had FK Konigsports fitted. Nope standard ARB's I had the s3 strut braces but they never made any difference to the handling - they only got a s far as my garage and never made it onto my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You have to drill holes in the turrets to fit the upper bar which kinda put me off.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
Dublife,

Can your local Audi garage give you that information? Is it the strut mount size you're after?

Lee, which brand/type of coilovers were in your golf? Thx.

[/ QUOTE ]
Avo's