Been tinkering with the car......

Gaz78

Reaction score
So decided after owning the car for a few months that it was time to do some fettling on it. Over the past couple of weeks I've done the following:

Oil and filter change - £40
Spark plugs (NGK BKR7EIK iridiums) - £50
Pipercross panel filter - £30
G65 sensor - £27
Aircon regas - £55
N80 purge valve - £50
Cam follower and pump o-ring - £50
Rev G diverter valve - £50
Fuel filter - £22
.....think that's it???

After doing all these jobs it was the ones that I thought would be easy that were a nightmare and vice versa.

Oil change straight forward, although for the oil filter you need a 36mm socket which is quite big so not necessarily in a standard socket set. Fortuanatly I had one id bought for doing axle nuts on my motorbike.

Spark plugs was ok as long as you have the correct spark plug socket and extension bars to get them out as they are seated quite deep in the block. These are the ngk's I removed:
20190709 181442 1280x960

G65 sensor is just tight on access. You can see the sensor on the front left of the block but I couldn't get a 17mm spanner on it from the top. So jack it up, take the skid panel off underneath and try to get in there.....was slow going. Maybe a dumpy spanner would of been better but I don't own one??

Purge valve was easy, as was the cam follower. Plenty of threads on here how to change cam follower. After researching and (wrongly) thinking this one was ok, I decided to swap it for a new one. Apparently once the black has been worn off its time to change. £50 from awesome gti which is a genuine part (not Chinese knock offs) and includes the 3 bolts plus hpfp o-ring. Just a cheap cam follower can be bought on eBay for £20 but some reckon these aren't good quality and there's no o-ring included.
20190705 202940 1024x1365

Fuel filter.....it's at the back drivers side under the car. Access is very easy, but the plastic fuel clips were tight, and I spent half hour trying to remove the 3, without breaking them. Really frustrating for something that's pretty simple. The fuel that came out was a bit mucky too so probs due a change:
20190711 152205 1024x1365

And then finally that diverter valve. 3 bolts, that's all it is but access is sooo tight. For me I found jacking the car up, removing the wheel then trying to go in from the side worked ok(ish). In the end I used a swivel head on my socket set as I couldn't get straight on the bolts easily. On the 2.0 tfsi (not S3 model), the valve is on the bottom of the turbo. Anyway it's done now and hopefully I won't need to do it again!

It's cost me roughly £370ish for parts but I feel like I've done quite alot there. I'm sure with Labour at a garage I would of paid a fair few ££££££s extra. Plus there's something satisfying doing it yourself! The cars definitely driving better now too. There was a very slight hesitation before, and idle was a bit lumpy. But now it's really smooth. Also noticed that it's quieter on boost now after swapping the diverter valve. The one I removed was a revision c, and I've installed a revision g. They both looked the same to me and the old one didn't look like it was split anywhere, but it was throwing a code on vcds as an intermittent mechanical fault, so needed changing.

Right, need to think of something to do next now........

Gaz

Reactions: ronniejack
You have done well with all those jobs.
And your next challenge is to replace the orange dipstick and tube for the yellow versions.
Changing the tube is quite technical but it can be achieved from the top. Maybe 30 min job and the tricky tool you need is a 4mm midget spanner.

You have done well with all those jobs.
And your next challenge is to replace the orange dipstick and tube for the yellow versions.
Changing the tube is quite technical but it can be achieved from the top. Maybe 30 min job and the tricky tool you need is a 4mm midget spanner.

I have read somewhere about this......Will look into it for parts and try find a guide on changing it, I'm sure there's one on here somewhere??

Thanks!

Gaz

I have read somewhere about this......Will look into it for parts and try find a guide on changing it, I'm sure there's one on here somewhere??

Thanks!

Gaz
I think there is as I am sure I wrote how to do the tube change