beginning to get fed up with this now!!!

jonnyfeng

Reaction score
hey guys ive had my RS3 since january now.. got about 2500 miles on it and in the time ive had it ive been able to experience the joys of an A4 diesel avant, an A6 black edition avant, an A5 convertible and also a Mercedes C180 - These have all been courtesy cars of which ive only generally had for a day at a time apart from the Merc which i had for a week.
The reason ive had these is because:
  • First of all minor issue with the DVD drive being locked and also querying the singing brakes
  • Second of all the Sat nav lost its mind and had a loose connection, also the central dash speaker needed to be replaced
  • Thirdly i managed to do in the prop shaft by accelerating at a non launch pace
Now its been ok for a week or so since and i obviously had all these repairs done under the warranty, the thing is now while driving home i put my foot down slightly not in sport mode with traction on etc and the car felt very wheel spinny... i took it for a little drive down the road just to accelerate a bit more and it continues.. constantly feeling a bit unstable and wheelspinning and showing the traction light (bare in mind ive driven in the snow etc the same way numerous times on the same roads with no issues)

I am completely fed up with the car, its been in Audi more than ive had it it seems..

Any suggestions as to what i should do? In regards to ownership of whats starting to seem a lemon and also any ideas about this traction issue?

Thanks

Damn man, its almost daily readings of people with issues.

Sounds to me like the rear drive isn't engaging/properly mate if its wheel spinning up front, considering props been worked on, this is something to consider, sounds almost impossible but wheel spinning in an RS3 is almost a contradiction, even if its not true 4wd I never had these issues in 2 Quattro cars with haldex.

exactly mate. it never spins, never shows traction light harldy. possible when hard launching in the wet you might get a flick of traction light but thats it.

time to jack it in and grab a c63?

if only i could deal with 12mpg...

I tried my best in several cars to wheel spin & just couldn't get it too, so given these were older then an RS3, I find it almost impossible to do so with this car.

Take it into dealer, throw a wobbly about the lack of reliability & they will probably bend over etc to make you stay happy as such, I know a friend who has had issues, member on here who has been very well looked after & his kids lol.

I believe audi don't want to tarnish the RS badge as such & are doing whatever is needed to make sure CS is the best for this chassis, persist is my advice atm.

if im being honest the dealer has been very good and not once questioned me about anything but its just the whole thing of constant issues. I cant be bothered being back and forth taking time from work every week etc.

im honestly thinking if there is a way out of owning this because i can just see consistent problems

ive owned it not even 3 months and im already falling out of love with it

I can understand that tbh mate, really can, when my turbo went on my 3dr a3 on border of Italy & Slovenia, since then always paranoid it will go again even if its worked flawlessly since, not nice to step into the car each time & wonder what will be the next issue.

I just spent 2 years on/off tracking down an issue with the 5dr we have, which eventually turned out to be the poxy cambelt fitted badly by the garage who sold us the car, timing of by a fair bit, we were looking at mechatronics, gearbox, head, all kinds as it didn't point to timing at all, each day I'd start up & sit there with foot to floor & it wouldn't go anywhere for about 30 seconds to a minute, sat at idle until it had self timed itself as such & then decided, ok I'll work, dangerous pulling from junctions & no response.

To add to that, the hybrid turbo I was sold was sold on basis it was a 260bhp, then 9 months later after endless maps & checking vacuum systems, intake systems, it turns out the selling salesmen at the turbo company was talking crap & made countless mistakes & fired, was a 220bhp turbo so any maps we added we're never going to suit, only discovered when fitted completely different turbo different company, which may I add worked perfectly & called original turbo company again to complain that they advised everything to me, full refund on route with a stock turbo to boot.

My point is, getting in a car you loved & always anxious its going to have problems, but not sure if it will or not fault is horrible man.

So glad I persisted, as now I can enjoy the work I've spent on it, but still at back of mind I fear another issue.

im not anxious about it mate its not a real love loss.. its just the new car excitement has diminished very fast.. its like the novelty has gone now and i keep thinking theres nothing special about it anymore.

il take it back again on monday and see what they say. If anyone knows an email address of anyone i can write expressing my dissatisfaction about the sale of a car which is causing me grief id appreciate it

On the mobile now but there was a guy on vagoc that stripped the prop bush on his rs for no reason worth a search ill dog it putvlater if i remember

You make some valid points and can understand why your loosing excitment factor and fustrated.

Buying a new car should be a great experience sorry to hear this

Sorry to hear about the problems. My RS3 has been fine other than the inevitable brake squeal. The prop shaft failure is a real shocker, I use my car, shall we say spiritedly and I've no problem. As for the traction I really can't understand, I was on track today in standing water and the traction was well frankly gob smacking. AWD failure maybe?

I have been in your situation with other cars so I can understand how you feel. The RS3 is an exceptional car if they can get it right for you. You know sod and his law says you'll sell up and the next owner gets an RS3 that never has another problem!

If it makes you feel any better I picked mine up on wednesday at midday, and had lunched the propshaft by 8pm.....it then went on the back of a recovery truck to Audi. S3 delivered to me the next day, they say ill be back up and running on tuesday. Not bad for 1800 miles and 5 1/2 months old!! At least its in warranty, and not me footing the bill

Last edited:
Sounds like the rear diff is gone, or transfer box is playing up.

just in case any one would be interested.. i have given my rs3 back to audi and they have refunded my deposit.. i had several issues in the couple of months i owned it. I had the prop shaft replaced, a few little things like centre dash speaker replaced, obviously squeaky brakes. Then the haldex unit was replaced as the car kept turning into front wheel drive then finally the last issue was the car deciding to start miss firing and running rough.. this was the last straw i took it back and left it there and demanded a refund, im not sure if the car has now sold on but id be very wary as it seemed a problem car and apparently they never found a fault with the last issue even though it threw a fault warning on the dash

i dont miss it at all if im being honest, each to there own but i have a mercedes on the way which i think il be much happier with

Fairplay to Audi having it back,it must have been a friday afternoon model.
Which merc ?

Owned mine a little over 3 weeks. Been with dealer for half that time. Thankfully no issues on par with jonny, but the whole new car experience has been destroyed. They gave me a new A5 coupe, drive my M3 instead. Without the M3 I would be more hacked off for sure. Good luck with the Merc.

Yeah I've had near enough every car audi make. Just made me realise that they all drive the same as each other. Very nice place to be and look at but extremely heavy steering though and quite a numb drive unless its an S model. Why you bought an RS3 when you have an M3 is beyond me haha!

Ive bought the AMG C class coupe should be with me by the end of June. Which is annoying because I'm car less until then

Reactions: voorhees
Why you bought an RS3 when you have an M3 is beyond me haha!

Ive bought the AMG C class coupe should be with me by the end of June. Which is annoying because I'm car less until then

M3 is my garage queen, 2002 coupe manual with 48k miles. I plan on keeping that for a long time. RS3 was the daily runner / second car that could also be used by the wife (she won't drive manual). It replaced a 130i M Sport which was a cracking little car.

Nice choice with the AMG coupe. What colour and options did you go for. I was thinking about going the C63 Saloon route, but realised my neighbours would be seriously annoyed with me when I left the house every morning. On start up you would think you woke up a sleeping bear. Great sound.

Had a great day at MB world in Surrey when I bought an SLK55 a while back. They had just released the 63 engine in a few cars and got to hammer the CLS63, E63 and ML63 for a day round the track. Everyone had big smiles on their faces that day.

I chose polar white. It was difficult to choose because I'm typically not a fan of white but it suited the car so well and was at no cost extra. It's pretty much fully spec with the panoramic roof and everything. Silver wheels. Not a fan if black wheels any more

looking forward to it
iron a side note any ideas on cheap car rental? I don't need anything nice just cheap to get me from a to b till I collect the new one?