Bent my wing mirror forward :-( Can I fix it?

andyt99

Reaction score
Reversing off the drive in a hurry yesterday and my door mirror caught the gatepost, so it's bent it all the way forward. So the mirror bit is now facing away from the car. I can't see any actual damage though. Anyone happen to know whether it's just a case of forcing it back again? I've tried giving it fairly strong force and it's not for budging but I haven't given it a kick yet :) I guess I'm just worried about damaging it further in my efforts to correct it. Thanks

Reversing off the drive in a hurry yesterday and my door mirror caught the gatepost, so it's bent it all the way forward. So the mirror bit is now facing away from the car. I can't see any actual damage though. Anyone happen to know whether it's just a case of forcing it back again? I've tried giving it fairly strong force and it's not for budging but I haven't given it a kick yet :) I guess I'm just worried about damaging it further in my efforts to correct it. Thanks

The mirrors do move forwards and backwards away from their normal position, it should move back into position quite easily unless something has broken inside.

I figured they bend both ways to allow for situations like this, I’d just give it a sympathetic but reasonable pull and see if it budges.

You might have to take it apart though. I’d get Audi dealer to check it. Let’s hope you don’t have to replace it as they are eye wateringly expensive to fix.

Cheers guys. I've given it quite a lot of force now and it's not budging. I'm gonna try and take it apart at the weekend. Yeah, hopefully it won't need replacing.

Cheers guys. I've given it quite a lot of force now and it's not budging. I'm gonna try and take it apart at the weekend. Yeah, hopefully it won't need replacing.
Speak to a dealer for advice first as they may have done it before

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Pic1

So here's the mess I got the mirror into. You can see it's twisted round much further than the mirror allows itself to be moved forward normally.

Pic2
It turns out that the 'pole' that they rotate around has two lugs on it at the top, sticking out. One is facing away from the car, one on the other side facing inwards. These lugs appear to be what stops the door mirror from going round and round forever, presumably when the motor feels the resistance, it stops.

In that picture, I've already managed to correct it, so what you're looking at there is the back of the mirror, when it's in the folded in position. So, in the incident, the mirror had been forced beyond the stopper lugs so that they were effectively working the wrong way around. The red arrow is pointing to the metal lug, whereas the bit to the right is the plastic part which rotates with the mirror until it is blocked by the lug.
So it was a case of shoving two flat blade screwdrivers into each plastic bit next to the lug to bend the plastic out of the way while we manually moved the mirror back again, then let go of the plastic once it was now on the other side of the lugs. Put it back together and everything seems to be working fine again. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. After some **** hit mine yesterday when I was coming back from work mines done the same!

Reactions: andyt99