Best audi engine need help??

bennibs123

Reaction score
Okay so I recently bought a 8p a3 2003 bkd 140. and have had the coolant problems sluggish starting ect and after a long gruling 3 weeks have managed to get the dealer to agree to give me my money back.

now the problem is buying another car I want to stick with audi and put this down to a bad experience but at the same time want to get it right this time. Looking at a4's and a3's budget is 3500 , just any nightmares that I may need to now as a cracked cylinder head common problem is a massive one. I want something solid with no hidden suprises! ive looked and researched a few but theres so many engine codes I was hoping someone could just tell me which ones to avoid!?!?
much appreciated

ben

If you want reliability, and it has to be a derv, then the 1.9 is maybe what you are after? It's not as powerful as the 2.0 units, and not as refined neither, but they are more economical, and bomb proof with regular servicing.

thanks for the help.
I currently have a pd 140 will I reallnotice any power loss on the 1.9 130??

I thought the 1.9TDi's were only 105?? I think the older 8L A3 1.9TDI's were 130.

I also have the PD140 BKD which to be honest is a horrible engine, not refined at all and very problematic. Not heard any horror stories with the 1.9TDI's (8P)

with that sort of budget you will be looking at a high milage b6 look for the avf engine that came from the factory at 130 bhp and safely remaps to 165 170 bhp great engine bullet proof if serviced regularly loads of low down talk with the right remap . had mine 4 years now 140000 miles and runs like a swiss watch . in my humble opinion the best most frugal and reliable engine audi ever made for everday use

Agreed the BKD engine was terrible. Ive found locally a 8l shape aldi 1.8t with 66k on the clock for 2700. im thinking of going for this or a mk4 1.9 tdi 130 with 96k on the clock and one lady owner at 3300. Ive heard the 1.8t are solid petrol engines as far as petrol engines go