Best detailing products to use

RS4K

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone got any recommendations on what cleaning products to use? I have been using an autoglym set i bought with shampoo, polish, wax, tyre cleaner etc and recently have just taken it to a hand car wash as have not had the time.

But for the summer i want to get a good detail done so thought might as well spend that money on good products and do it myself.

Im looking for some good snowfoam, polish, wax, sealant, clay bar, cloths and a quick shine spray.

Thanks

I'm happy with Autoglym products, they work well. The degree of finish really depends on how much time and patience you have. Also been trying the G3 stuff lately and to be honest I can't tell the difference on how the car turns out whichever brand I use.
Only exception is leather conditioner and Gliptone or Jaguar creams surpass anything else I have tried.

Reactions: RS4K
The odd time mines clean I use autoglym. Don't look in the detailing section on this site - that's another slippery slope after the start of modifying! Lol

Reactions: RS4K and Hookmonster
I use a 2 quid bottle of wilko spray and shine everytime i put the car in the garage.. cars not seen water since ive had it !! Autoglym ultra gloss protection every month.... god i sound sad. Lol

been using poorboys blackhole on our black a3, tried a few different things, and this seems to give the best deep shine so far, was finishing it off with a tub of autoglym wax (the stuff around £40, only had it as it was priced wrong on the internet and got it for £6 delivered), yet to find a descent replacement for that yet though as its finished, and not paying the proper cost. read good things about dodo juice, but that probably works out just as expensive for what you get

been using poorboys blackhole on our black a3
I use Black Hole with Natty's Paste Wax Blue over the top on the Golf. Absolutely amazing shine, and it lasts ages. Previous combo was Black Hole with Autoglym HD Wax, but the Natty's Blue is cheaper and IMO it looks better, is easier to apply and lasts longer.
Oh, and it smells better too. :happy:

Will be keeping the combo when the A6 arrives.

Mixture of Poorboys and Mcguiars for me, only do it a couple of times a year.
Usually, Poorboys QD after a wash. (If it's not pi$$ing down by then).

Depends how much you want to spend and the finish your after.

Autoglym stuff contains a lot of fillers, so you 'polish' the car with it and it appears to remove the scratches. 2-3 weeks later and a couple washes and the scratches are back. Autoglym is cool for your average car owner who maybe washes their car a few times a year or it sees the occasional polish.

All depends what you want to spend is to what people can recommend. You could easily spend £100-150 on basic cleaning gear and only touch the tip of the iceberg with the potential that could be there. Snow foams, fall out remover, citrus pre-wash, clay bars, wash mitts, shampoo's, polishes, waxes, sealants, ceramic coatings, interior cleaners and dressings, wheel cleaners etc.

Reactions: RS4K, outsideline, tonydata and 1 other person
It's all in the prep for a long lasting finish on your car give it a good clay and get a da some compounds like a menzerna range and a nice wax dodo juice do some nice ones and there you go you won't look back or be disappointed in anyway just take your time a good 8-10 hours will do. I am going to do mine I'll post the results up when it's done.

Reactions: RS4K
I use Black Hole with Natty's Paste Wax Blue over the top on the Golf. Absolutely amazing shine, and it lasts ages. Previous combo was Black Hole with Autoglym HD Wax, but the Natty's Blue is cheaper and IMO it looks better, is easier to apply and lasts longer.
Oh, and it smells better too. :happy:

Will be keeping the combo when the A6 arrives.

I've got a big bottle of Black Hole and some Natty's Blue ready for a decent dry day to give my Phantom Black A3 a good going-over, your comments are making me look forward to it!
On the topic of budget stuff, for cleaning wheels I recommend going to Poundland and getting some of their 'No More Dirty Bike' , which as the name suggests is meant to be a generic bike cleaner..
It looks virtually identical to Muc-Off alloy wheel cleaner (ie pink liquid in a 1 litre trigger-spray bottle) and is almost every bit as good, it isn't caustic and does a fantastic job for the price.
I always make sure I have several bottles in reserve.

Reactions: James_TDi
wow seems like a lot of choice and depends on the amount of hours one is willing to put in. I have an Ice Silver S3 so i can never get it to really shine so was hoping to find something that could do that.

Will check out Poor boys and Dodo juice i think first but if anyone knows of the best product to make silver shine then let me know please

As others have said really its down to how much you're willing to spend as its very easy for it all to start adding up, i'd dread to think what i've spent on products so far. It depends if you want to polish by hand or machine audi paint is quite hard but nowhere near as bad as some bmw's/mercedes imo, before you polish make sure you give it a good clay and try some iron x/fallout remover to decontaminate the paint work.
As for polish the lists are endless but i'm very happy with the menzerna range I just did my Ibis white and managed to get some pretty heavy swirls out with menzerna power finish by machine but had to use some fast gloss 400 in some bad areas followed by a finish up with super finish plus 3800 ,glazed with chemical guys white light and sealed with fusso coat light wax for durability.
Autoglym do ok products and a key thing to note is super resin polish is basically full of fillers and hardly any abrasives so it may look like the scratches have been removed whereas they haven't and will show up again after a few washes, although its good for areas with too little clearcoat to correct with. As for giving it a shine it could probably do with a correction first but if not you could give chemical guys white light a go to cover up some swirls and give some shine.