best engine code?

There's only two 1.9tdi and 2.5tdi, 1.9's better because I have one (just kidding it's all opinion and depends what you want from the engine).

It depends what you want from the car, if you happy with 200-220 Bhp potential then the 1.9PD Tdi 130 Bhp AVF code is arguably better: much more modern, reliable, frugal- very good allrounder !
If you want a bit more refinement then go for the v6 tdi: massive power potential with bolt on mods: nozzles, remap and a turbo will get you beyond 300 Bhp with a sound to dye for, however it has it's quirks especially if you don't get a good one ! I had them all and there's no comparison between the 2- i can put up with a little less Mpg just for the sound the v6 makes !

Reactions: deano1978
I may be wrong here but i think you will only find an AVF engine in quattros...the 2 wheel drive equivlant is the AWX both 1.9 TDi's but the latter AWX has a tiny little bit less torque..and I mean tiny and it also has a smaller clutch plate The AVF has a bigger plate and more torque to cope with the extra weight of Quattro but they are essentially the same engine

It's funny but i only seen worn cams on AKE engines just on cars with Longlife servicing or cars that were serviced at backstreet garages withpiss poor quality oils poured in at service time... If you want better reliability then going for later BAU/BDG/BDH in the v6 tdi engines is a wiser move, especially as them cars are long in the tooth by now !

Mine is a FWD car with the AVF 2004.

I think they started to use them up near the end and used them as FWD.......could be wrong but I had also initially thought the AVF was quattro too.

AVF = 6 Speed Box
AWX = 5 Speed Box

Although most AVF i've seen are stuck to an automatic.

Anyways doesn't really matter as both engines are identical.

So the only difference between them is the awx is 5 gear box and the avf is 6 gear box plus the avf has a single serpentine belt and the awx has 2 auxiliary belts?

The AVF was fitted either on sports models in front of a 6 speed gearbox and has a 240mm clutch and 310Nm of torque or on some automatic/titpronic gearboxes...
AWX was either fitted to CVT geargoxes or with 5 speed manual gearbox and has 288Nm of torque and a smaller 228mm clutch. Base engine is identical...
Early engines had a different cambelt setup with a vibration damper, later had a simpler automatic tensioner with a dial pointer. In passats and a6 it had a 2 aux drive belt arangement and on a4 b6 it had just one serpentine belt and no viscous fan...