Best holiday destination and why?

Alistair D

Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car.
Solutions
Reaction score
My suggestion:
Isle of Skye - The scenery is spectacular and mountainous, for walking and climbing.
The people are friendly and accommodating with great craic in the pubs and hostelries.
The local sea food is fresh and delicious and not to be missed.

Also there are some of the best drivers roads in the world (In my biased opinion) in this area of Scotland.:racer::blackrs4:

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny 99, Crazyfool, andy.h and 2 others
Malta......its just fantastic.....amazing history, friendly locals , superb food, fantastic weather,..... and.... probably the hardest language in the world i have ever heard ...lol

Reactions: springer, andy.h, Rob Avant and 2 others
Scotland. Especially the west coast. Great views and roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crazyfool, andy.h, jdp1962 and 2 others
Florida for me I don’t won’t to go anywhere else on holiday might go do a us road trip next

My suggestion:
Isle of Skye - The scenery is spectacular and mountainous, for walking and climbing.
The people are friendly and accommodating with great craic in the pubs and hostelries.
The local sea food is fresh and delicious and not to be missed.

Also there are some of the best drivers roads in the world (In my biased opinion) in this area of Scotland.:racer::blackrs4:

That “penis” road on grand tour did look great might have to try that soon

Barbados for me I think. Loved it. Great food, weather and they drive on the correct side of the road

I must get to Scotland !!! I m originally from Germany and my mothers still in lower Bavaria about 1 hour SW of Munich.
I do enjoy the roads at "home " and ripping the A bahn AT NIGHT is not to be missed ; but being a history buff big time
I really believe I would thoroughly enjoy it !!!!

Reactions: Alistair D
I must get to Scotland !!! I m originally from Germany and my mothers still in lower Bavaria about 1 hour SW of Munich.
I do enjoy the roads at "home " and ripping the A bahn AT NIGHT is not to be missed ; but being a history buff big time
I really believe I would thoroughly enjoy it !!!!
Long, open twisting, and quiet roads. What's not to enjoy.
Just lookout for sneaky police in unmarked cars/bikes, they have been known to goad you into putting your foot down only to pull you over just as the fun begins:racer::busted cop:

Noted !
When I was driving in New Zealand 5 ? yr s ago and got sleepy I d find myself driving on the right side of the road. Nothing like a truck w a million bottle s of beer or half a herd of sheep to make you say
" Right...that ll be enuff for now.."

Spain, Turkey, somewhere warmish abroad ordered by lowest price first, maybe even all inclusive if it doesn't cost much more.

Whenever I've been places more expensive they've been lacking either the heat, beach or low cost of stuff, really just can't justify paying more for less or the same.

Some may call this cheap but I call it being a stereotypical Brit haha.

Bonus if the places are quite good at speaking English too, went Paris not so long ago and they really didn't seem fond of people who didn't speak French, had allot of orders come with incorrect food/drink which it seemed staff most likely messed up intentionally just because they weren't keen on English tourists.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ and Rob Avant
Moon Palace Grand on the Riveria Maya in Mexico for me.

Plenty to do, fantastic golf courses, luxury resort and not far from cancun.

Reactions: CHEZ and BarryG79
Probably not the most imaginative but... I love Lanzarote, has some amazing scenery and beautiful unspoilt areas if you avoid the typically ‘British’ resorts. Always warm with a nice breeze to keep you from boiling. Friendly locals, good food and drink too. Proposed to my wife and honeymooned there so has a special place in my heart.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Sandra
India. Been twice and the last time I drove 3200km in a tuc-tucin 2017. Mumbai, Jaipur and Goa been my fav places. Lots of history, friendly people and great weather!!

Croatia last year was the best holiday I've ever had. On an Island just off the coast of Dubrovnik. Lovely country, really nice people and just simply a great place to visit.

Alykes on Zakynthos for me, very relaxing, can walk easily to the next village which is slightly more vibrant, the sea is as clear as anything, and the beer is cheap.

Me and the Mrs always loved Egypt until the trouble started. We went to Dahab the 1st year, that is now in the red zone in North Sinai. 2 later visits were to Sharm. I never felt unsafe there. Locals were always friendly. Super cheap and ridiculously hot.
Since then weve had 2 visits to Turkey. Bodrum 1st time and Alanya the 2nd. Very similar to Egypt. We try not to go anywhere in the eurozone. Crap exhange rate and not alot for your money. Although we went to Budapest this time last year. Awesome 5 days tbh. Lots of World War and Soviet history as well as stunning architecture. Insanely odd language though. It doesnt sound like any other language.

Me and the Mrs always loved Egypt until the trouble started. We went to Dahab the 1st year, that is now in the red zone in North Sinai. 2 later visits were to Sharm. I never felt unsafe there. Locals were always friendly. Super cheap and ridiculously hot.
Since then weve had 2 visits to Turkey. Bodrum 1st time and Alanya the 2nd. Very similar to Egypt. We try not to go anywhere in the eurozone. **** exhange rate and not alot for your money. Although we went to Budapest this time last year. Awesome 5 days tbh. Lots of World War and Soviet history as well as stunning architecture. Insanely odd language though. It doesnt sound like any other language.
Happy birthday and happy holidays:thumbs up:

Reactions: Bazgti
stuttgart because AUDI

Reactions: Sandra and CarbonMike
Best place i've been too was Abu Dhabi. Place was just insane but in a good way. Me and the wife did drag racing on the F1 track and stayed at the Yas Marina circuit hotel. Even the food was out of this world. I remember going to Nando's there and it was cheaper than the UK and 100 times better

Reactions: Sandra
We went to Eagle Beach in Aruba for our honeymoon in '17 - absolutely beautiful! Some of the island is a little rustic/run down looking but Eagle Beach is amazing and fully recommended.

Thankfully the three hurricanes that formed in the two weeks we were there (anyone remember hurricane Irma?) were 500 miles to the north - Aruba hasn't been hit with a hurricane for 100 years thankfully - and only succeeded in sucking all the trade winds off the island making it even hotter.

stuttgart because AUDI

Been to Stuttgart alot. Worked there also.

The Porsche & Mercedes museum are defo worth a visit.

Parts of the city are little grey & soviet area looking mind.

Heidelberg isnt all that far away and thats well worth a visit.

Reactions: RS4B5 and Sandra
It depends. We would go to Dubai every year if we could. It’s just a great all rounder and the weather is always warm.

For a total chill, the Maldives and for a great road trip the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went to the Moon Palace back in 2001 before most people had even heard of Cancun lol

Loved it.

Reactions: dragon, Sandra and Goner

We're going to Mexico this year although not the moon Palace but the riu tequila because the price was right lol.
Everyone we have spoke to has not got a bad thing to say about the place so looking forward to that.

Other great places are Jamaica and Barbados.
I kind of like the Caribbean

Reactions: Goner, BarryG79 and Sandra
We're going to Mexico this year although not the moon Palace but the riu tequila because the price was right lol.
Everyone we have spoke to has not got a bad thing to say about the place so looking forward to that.

Remember looking at that one too, it stuck out as it had spirit optics in the room!

We went to Excellence Riviera Cancun on honeymoon back in 2006, mini bar in the room stocked daily! All inclusive even included room service, remember ordering a good few of the menu and asked them to send some Corona. Big ice bucket came with 10 bottles and dish with sliced limes. Happy days before kids came along

Now we do Disney, unfortunately not Florida this year heading to France in April for my 40th not that I had any say in that!!

Reactions: Goner and CHEZ
I
Remember looking at that one too, it stuck out as it had spirit optics in the room!

We went to Excellence Riviera Cancun on honeymoon back in 2006, mini bar in the room stocked daily! All inclusive even included room service, remember ordering a good few of the menu and asked them to send some Corona. Big ice bucket came with 10 bottles and dish with sliced limes. Happy days before kids came along
emoji1787.png
emoji1787.png

Now we do Disney, unfortunately not Florida this year heading to France in April for my 40th not that I had any say in that!!

I love the whole Disney/Florida thing can’t get enough of it, it’s got more expensive with the weak pound but it’s still worth it after next year’s 3 weeks in Florida next it will be California next

Reactions: BarryG79
I
I love the whole Disney/Florida thing can’t get enough of it, it’s got more expensive with the weak pound but it’s still worth it after next year’s 3 weeks in Florida next it will be California next

Don’t get me wrong done Florida 4 times and love it too, but it’s not a relaxing holiday and that what I miss when I’m there it’s all go 24/7. Chilling at the pool or beach for 2 weeks with a few beers and I’m happy lol. The rest of the family however can’t sit still.

Haha it’s the opposite with our lot they want to spend half the day in the villa in the pool I’m up regardless at 6ish have been for years so i just can’t lie in il be sat by the pool waiting for them to stir usually around 10 by that time I’m itching to go out and they just got up and want to chill

I’m tempted to try and sneak a week or two this year to Texas or Louisiana or somewhere like that see a bit more of America knowing that next years one is already sorted leave the two older kids (21 & 17 ) here and just take my little un, tbh at 22 and 17 I didn’t want to be going away with my parents I’d rather go away with my mates at that age so might have had the last “family” holiday

I’m tempted to try and sneak a week or two this year to Texas or Louisiana or somewhere like that see a bit more of America knowing that next years one is already sorted leave the two older kids (21 & 17 ) here and just take my little un, tbh at 22 and 17 I didn’t want to be going away with my parents I’d rather go away with my mates at that age so might have had the last “family” holiday

Why not lol

Worked in Texas for a couple of weeks a few years back, ended up in Waco wasn’t much to see though so wouldn’t recommend.

New England road trip is a must if u have never been? Few days in Boston then pick up a nice car and hit the road.

I'm admittedly very biased, but Vancouver, BC is a cracking place for a holiday. Beautiful scenery (can be sunbathing by the ocean in the morning, and skiing in the afternoon), loads of things to do, good roads once you get out of town, only a couple hours to Whistler (great in summer and winter), 4 hours (of a very nice drive) to an amazing area for wine (loads of ridiculously beautiful vineyards), really friendly locals, an hour to the US border should you want to pop to Seattle (about 2.5 hours away), whale watching, cruise ships if that's your bag, and direct flights from several UK airports. And if you come, let me know and we'll grab a beer :)

Reactions: Tj 0785 and BarryG79
Canada’s on the list I had the chance to
Move there years ago when They were recruiting plumbers. Although work is booming here The way this country is going I wish I did and with the mrs being a nurse I don’t think we’d struggle for a visa

Happy birthday and happy holidays:thumbs up:

Thanks Alistair. Such a gent. Got £250 of various members of my family. Ive just thrown it all in on the RS. Gloss black RS3 badge and gloss black front and back rings. Gloss wheel nut covers. RS key ring (Cheesy) Black and red RS calipers decals. Little things to make it my own.

Reactions: Alistair D
New England road trip is a must if u have never been? Few days in Boston then pick up a nice car and hit the road.

This for sure. Out of all the roadtrips ive done travelling 20 odd states in America, other then Route 66 the self drive around New England we did was properly fantastic and Id recommend it to anyone!

Been to some of Texas, its a truly great place! Big is an understatement.... its larger in sq miles then Germany.

We drove across the top of it on I40 and parts of historic Route 66 and found the actual way to Amarillo

Reactions: CHEZ and BarryG79
Canada’s on the list I had the chance to
Move there years ago when They were recruiting plumbers. Although work is booming here The way this country is going I wish I did and with the mrs being a nurse I don’t think we’d struggle for a visa

Doubt youd struggle to get a visa at all. Its also part of the commonwealth so makes it easier still.

The housing marking there is booming so buying or renting isnt cheap.

Few people i know moved out there, theyve never looked back!

Mexico is brilliant, I’d go back tomorrow.

If you like a bit of Shopping head down to the la Isla shopping centre.

There’s also plenty of good bars and restaurants.

I’ve seen the RIU resorts and they look nice.

Cancun airport is much better than what I was expecting also.

You’ll have a great time.

We are going to the Caribbean this year, staying at the hard Rock Hotel Punta Cana which I am very much looking forward to, it’s owned by Palace Resorts (same as Moon Palace) so hoping it’s more than up to scratch like Moon Palace.

There’s a championship golf course on site which is a good thing for me (the clubs are coming with me).

Barbados is on the list as is Jamaica but reading up on Jamaica there’s issues with locals at the moment, that wouldn’t put me off but it does the mrs.

Last edited by a moderator:

The service you get from the 4 and 5 star hotels in Mexico are fairly similar across the board, optics in the room is a common thing along with a fully stocked mini bar and room service.

When my son is 5 / 6 in 3 years we are looking to do Florida, it just confuses the hell outta me when looking where to stay, what location, theme park passes, attractions, daily tax that needs to be paid etc etc.

That holiday could be super expensive however it’s something I would like to take my son Toby. I always wanted to go when I was a kid but we never did so I feel like I’ve missed out haha, in fact it’s more for me than the mrs and my nipper haha.

The service you get from the 4 and 5 star hotels in Mexico are fairly similar across the board, optics in the room is a common thing along with a fully stocked mini bar and room service.

When my son is 5 / 6 in 3 years we are looking to do Florida, it just confuses the hell outta me when looking where to stay, what location, theme park passes, attractions, daily tax that needs to be paid etc etc.

That holiday could be super expensive however it’s something I would like to take my son Toby. I always wanted to go when I was a kid but we never did so I feel like I’ve missed out haha, in fact it’s more for me than the mrs and my nipper haha.
If going Florida I’d recommend getting a villa, all in it can be expensive cost us 11k (add another 2.5k if you go premium seats and that’s in October during summer it’s a few k more ) for two weeks for a family of 5 with spending money, you could easily spend a full day in each of the Disney parks, I wouldn’t go during the 6 week holidays the place would be packed you just spend hours queuing, we go in October for Halloween. the “Halloween party is unreal kids go trick or treating and get a shed load of candy, I had to carry the little one as her trolley was full of chocolate and the fire works are the best I’ve ever seen, in October it was still 30c. St Augustine, Clearwater beach, tampa are all worth a trip to aswell

Depends on what kind of holiday you want. Here's four that stand out for me:

China - a tour of the sites and 3 biggest cities. One of the best and most educational holidays I've ever been on... But I needed a holiday after it.
Las Vegas - Great food, great shows. Did very little gambling when I went. Service almost everywhere it outstanding.
Mexico - Best beach holiday I've ever been on and the all inclusive is the way it should de done. Completely incomparable to Europe. Want a bottle of Jac Daniels delivered to your room FOC? No problem. Amazing food and lots to do.
Florida - Amazing for kids. Generally good weather and service. Food isn't great though in comparison to other parts fo the states.

Reactions: BarryG79 and CHEZ
Halloween is brilliant! Unfortunately we were returning to the UK on the day, but the build up beforehand was great fun. Loads of people were dressed up at the parks.

My son was wearing his hollowed. Outfit at the airport and every shop he entered gave home sweets!

Reactions: CarbonMike