Best memory card for dash cam.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So the parents have just bought me a nextbase 512gw dash cam and I'm looking at buying a memory card for it

From what I can tell from Google a standard microsd card wont cut it, it'l justbdie after a few months, bit what Google doesn't really say is what the best memory cards to buy are.

Any recommendations? Looking for around 64gb as I'll be buying the rear attachement camera for it when it' released next year.

Thanks chaps.

64gb minimum and something with fast write times so you get clear recordings with no chopiness. As listed on Amazon, I use a lexar 1000x speed for my blackvue cams.

good question, and I don't know, sorry about that hahaa
actually, a lil bit of digging on blackvue site and if you're on the highest settings its 10mbps on the front cam, and 5mbps on the rear. 1080p 30fps front and 720p 30fps rear, i believe

actually, a lil bit of digging on blackvue site and if you're on the highest settings its 10mbps on the front cam, and 5mbps on the rear. 1080p 30fps front and 720p 30fps rear, i believe

Lexar 1000x is a U3 , U3 have a minimum write speed of 30 Mega Bites per second ( 30MB/s ) .

Your front camera's bit rate is 10 Mega Bits per second ( 10Mbps ) .

So 48Mbps is just 6MB/s which is just Class 6 , so any Class 10 , U 1 ( 80Mbps or 10MB/s minimum writing speed ) will be ample !

What is most important is the cards memory construction , conventional are TLC Nand and the ones that can have much more write cycles are MLC Nand such as High Endurance Lexar , San Disk and Transcend .

They're not as typically fast as TLC but an ample 20MB/s .

Gaurantees are different , most 10 year TLC are void when used in dash cam inc Samsung Evo and San Disk Ultra , this isn't usually obvious on the packaging either .
MLC usually are 2 years gaurantee .

So there we have it , probably 95% of us are driving around with an over spec , incorrect micro sd .

Reactions: MattSedg
I’m using a 64gb Lexar card in my BlackVue.
Scandisk I had no end of problems with, due to the high operating temperatures and continuous recording cycle.

Yep San Disk Ultra have especially bad chip controllers and overly protective write locking.

Yep San Disk Ultra have especially bad chip controllers and overly protective write locking.

Now this I never knew, time to replace my SanDisk in my Dashcam (also a 512GW!) - last thing I want is the memory card failing and not capturing video at the crutial moment....

Well from research and people's help I'm going with a San disk high endurance 64gb. Piece of mind that it will last year's and not just stop recording without me knowing.

When I had a memory card issue on the Thinkware their CS told me to avoid Sandisk and Samsung cards.
Bought a PNY card and had no issues after this.

I've had lexar and SanDisk 64gb cards in my Blackvue dr650s 2 channel, not sure on the actual models, but they were fairly high end.
The lexar stopped working after 3 months and is now permanently write protected, the SanDisk wouldn't even be recognised in the dash cam so was a total waste of money.
I now have the SanDisk high endurance 64gb card that is designed for dashcams and up to press it's working fine.
If it does give up the ghost however, I know that I can go back to Amazon for a replacement as that is what it's designed to work in