Best quality ride on lowering springs

hollows wife

Reaction score
had my a3 about 3 months now in that time fitted a hybrid turbo,new wheels , votex kit ,lowered the car arghh thats when the problems started

fitted a set of pi lowering springs to the car about a month ago 35mm drop

car has done nothing but knock and bang ever since bought new top mounts front /rear , ball joints ,arb links front /rear , bottom arms .

i know you get a slightly harser ride with lowering springs but its as though the springs arent even secure and are loose .

so there coming off

what i need to know is whats the best recommended lowering springs i can get for comfort and no knocking /banging

im not bothered about coilovers and im getting fed up of throwing money at the car now £1500 plus in bits

one with most recomendations wins hopefully i can order them tomorrow

cos its driving me mad now and im starting to hate the thing

h&r 35 mm springs and eibach springs are good h&r are better but eibach's are slighty less harsh ive got hr 35 mm and my ride seems ok up to now

I've got eibachs on mine and they are fantastic. I thought they might be a bit harsh but the ride quality is good. No crashing and banging.:o.k:

Pi is short for pish!

Get some eibach or h&r springs as mentioned

Coilovers are an option too - I had FK Highsport in my car and they were great!

Pi is short for pish!

Get some eibach or h&r springs as mentioned

Coilovers are an option too - I had FK Highsport in my car and they were great!

I would not rate them that bad yet ! I did fitted a set of PI lowering springs to me a6 2.5 tdi and it transformed the car ! Make shure you replace the shocks/bump stops/bearings as well as there is where most problems lies. I did fitted heavy duty sport avant(to a saloon!) genuine BOGE sport shocks and it rides sublime. You wont believe its such a big heavy car and its sits right too(-40mm). Make shure you get the right ones though for the right car and engine/axles weight. I also have FK coilovers on me a4 v6 tdi quattro and the ride is appaling. It looks good but it handles a bit weird for a quattro much more bumpy as well... I would get a set of Bilstein/Kony shocks and Eibach springs and replace them soon as i had enough headaches from coilovers. In my opinion you cannot beat a good set of matching springs and shocks unless you spend £1000+ on coilies !:scared2:

what are the a3's like with catching on lowering springs? and how do they handle speed bumps?

i have noticed the ride is quite tough on the s line set up, my old corsa VXR was on janpseed lowering springs and it was tough as hell and caught on everything!

the eibachs will drop the sline about 5 mm i think but give a massive improvement over standard s line ride, much smoother and softer!

cant believe the s line standard springs are harder than lowering springs lol, thats not good.

have noticed it is a tad harsh tbh.

so it will only go 5mm lower on eibachs?

Eibach are notorious for claiming x mm drop when they only drop a fraction of claimed lowerage!

I would go for H&R as going by pictures, their drops seem genuine!

Eibach are notorious for claiming x mm drop when they only drop a fraction of claimed lowerage!

I would go for H&R as going by pictures, their drops seem genuine!

how is the a3 with speed humps once lowered? my old car was full of scrapes across the bottom of the bumper due to being lowered, dont fancy that again tbh. :sob:

they are fine, like boydie's old a3 was lowered a fair amount on coilies and was running 19s and of what i know he didnt have any issues.

think i might invest in some H&R's, see how it goes.

any pics available of a3's dropped on these springs please..

is it better to change the bush's with the lowering springs?

or make no odds really?

I had zero issues with my car being lowered on my coilovers and 19s!

There was no speed bump or hill I couldn't tackle!

I didnt change any bushes or the likes at all!

seems pretty sweet tbh, wierd how my vxr went so low tbh. was only on 40mm lowering springs, the gap on the arch to the front wheel was really tight!

looked awsome, but pot holes and humps killed it.

if the s line is only lowered about 5mm with the H&R's, how is it with the 50mm eibachs? does it only go down a bout 30mm?

the s line should be lowered about 10mm with the H&R 35mm they also do a 50mm. eibachs do a 40-50mm set but as said earlier, you may not actually see that size drop! but it will be a better ride than the H&R's

Well I stuck Koni FSD's & Eibach Pro 30mm on mine from DPM & they are nothing short of fantastic, no bumpy castle ride anymore, lowered just enough not **** to floor, they have got rid of the tractor suspension, cant say enough about them & with the ARB's on aswell, well hey its even better.

Go see Damian mate he'll sort you out for the parts a treat.

Being a bit of a back roads fan, I've noticed the sline suspension is a bit rough on some the more "rugged" roads round here. All this talk of new springs has got me tempted...
Couple of questions:

- I'm not really bothered about lowering the car significantly, just better ride/handling, what's the best bet in terms of springs for that?
- How easy is it to fit them / How much to get it done properly?
- Is this going to send my insurance through the roof?

Car is an 05 plate if that matters.

Eibach Pro did me for much better ride/handling mixed with Koni FSD's mate, love it.

Well unless your savvy with these things let someone else do it, you'd need spring clamps & various tools, not beyond anyone's capability really, depends how confident you are tbh & if you have tools.

Done properly well audi would charge the earth so find a back street mechanic but not to back street lol, they would charge maybe £100-£150 I reckon, maybe less.

Insurance wise, if you tell them then they might not charge you extra, just say your springs were worn & you wanted better handling, serious note some might not charge extra, but upto you if wanna report they've been upgraded, some havnt & havnt known anyone to have problems with claims cause of uprated springs not reported, but as said your choice.

Not got tools so I'd be finding a garage then. Would probably run it up to awesome gti as they're just down the road.

Worth doing the shocks as well then? Rather than just new springs on stock shocks?

I would & also change the top mounts for new, not alot for new ones mate, given mine from an 05 car were fecked big time, only when decent suspension on that it was noticeable as was so bouncy before, lol, get them of DPM mate & then get fitted by someone else, awesome are not for me but if you want then your car mate, so your choice.

conveneince doesnt equal good service, but as with all of us you're welcome to try who you like mate, I just personally wouldnt use them again.