Best tire and wheel size for the track?

18" or 19" Wheel size?

• Total voters

A3SBQ

A3 SportBack 2TFSI quattro DSG
Reaction score
Hi.
I am about to order new wheels and tier for my 7R to use on the track.
I will have a separate track set that will be changed prior to the track event.
My previous experience is to use 18" (225x40x18) on my last car (Audi A3/S3 8p)
I used Yokohama A048 and Toyo R888R.

What do you recommend for the 7R?
I was hoping to use the OZ Ultraleggera HLT. But it's only made in 19" and greater.

So please share your thoughts and experiences.
I am on stock suspension DCC damper and spring.
Also using BBK up front using the Vagbremtechnic 362x32mm disc and bracket kit for the TTRS/RS3 4pot caliper.
So wheel must clear without rubbing and the use of spacers.

Thanks

You can easily tire of researching tyres :)

WTF. I checked with Google for correct spelling (sorry I am from Norway)
Google said -Car Tire-.

But this is what I found now.

Tire vs. tyre
Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America

LOL. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, xpoweruk and Tom.H
Check out the Enkei RPF1's and PF01's. Both pretty much as light weight as you can get plus a reasonable price too. They come in both 8 & 9" wide options with varying offsets.

I'm going for the 18*9" ET35's with 245/40R17 Ad08r's this season.

WTF. I checked with Google for correct spelling (sorry I am from Norway)
Google said -Car Tire-.

But this is what I found now.

Tire vs. tyre
Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America

LOL. Hope this helps.

Everyone knows Americans can't spell
:grinning:

Reactions: Mark_86, xtof06 and xpoweruk
If you want light wheels then Team Dynamic Pro 1.2 or OZ Ultraleggeras and a set of Mich Cup Sport 2s,

I
Sorry for the wrong spelling. It was ment to be TIRE. The stupid phone spelling changed it. Is it possible to correct?
On the whole I think your phone probably has a better grip on spelling than you do, but even so it might be a bit much to expect a phone that's been given the perfectly valid word "tier" to realise you actually meant "tyre" (the correct, English spelling, accept no daft colonial substitutes, we did after all invent the language).

Of course we all guessed at what you meant, we'll just be thankful you're not Spanish and so didn't bring us your version of the word "neumático" ;)

Anyway, of the two choices, I'd personally go with 18"s for a number of very compelling reasons;

-They're generally a bit lighter, unless you're spending serious wedge.

-The tyres are much cheaper, and there's a decent range of cheap track biased rubber about in 18" sizes. (If it's just for trackdays and not racing, then there's no point spending 80% more for the extra 7/10th's of a second you're never going to miss)

-The taller profile will allow you a little extra progression and feel between grip & slip, and whilst it may not be quite as fast as 19"s, you'll have more fun and be better able to control the car at the limit without constant fear of losing it and going **** first into a gravel trap.

Reactions: AndrewB
Not as fast as 19" is the only error there .
Error? As long as there's no ****** spelling errors I'll be happy with that... :)

(although, as it was a "may not be quite as fast as" and not a "won't be quite as fast as, I'll do what my wife does and claim I'm right anyway ;) ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil C, Tom.H and xpoweruk
Or the better overall Michelin Pilot Sport 4 :wink:

True but he wants a track tyre.

I would also say Yoko AD08R are good and cheaper but I'd say for ultimate road legal grip the Toyo 888R

If however they don't need to be Road legal look at the likes od DMACKs etc

Reactions: batch
But if you have a road tyre that outperforms a track tyre...

Cup 2 only superior if track is dry , but no guarantee of that in this country .

But if you have a road tyre that outperforms a track tyre...

Cup 2 only superior if track is dry , but no guarantee of that in this country .

This is why I run a set of Road legal track tyres with good water displacement to get me to and from track and a spare set of dry weather track only tyres.

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
And also for killing my confidence writing in English here at the forum

It looks like I'll be going for 19" OZ Ultraleggera HLT with Toyo R888R or Yokohama track tyre.

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
And also for killing my confidence writing in English here at the forum

It looks like I'll be going for 19" OZ Ultraleggera HLT with Toyo R888R or Yokohama track tyre.
I shouldn't worry about your English writing skills to much @A3SBQ . There are native speakers of the language, actual English people, who are less competent with it that you are.

You asked the question, got some very helpful answers, and you did a hell of a lot better than I would have if I asked the same question in Norwegian. Don't let a bit of gentle ribbing put you off ;)

Reactions: batch
I shouldn't worry about your English writing skills to much @A3SBQ . There are native speakers of the language, actual English people, who are less competent with it that you are.

You asked the question, got some very helpful answers, and you did a hell of a lot better than I would have if I asked the same question in Norwegian. Don't let a bit of gentle ribbing put you off ;)

Dunt kno wat your on abowt Grant…

No, I agree @A3SBQ you made the effort to ask in English and bar one mishap with the word tyre done a very good job.

Reactions: Neil C and GSB
Guy no offense taken. Did actually put inn a smile face but it's not showing.

Yes I appreciate all answers and prons/cons on the question.
The reason for now leaning towards the 19" is the available OZ Ultraleggera HLT (not made in 18") and the use of BBK (vagbremtechnic 362x32mm with 4pot TTRS/RS3 calipers)
It makes it easier.

My biggest concern was the strength of the 19" wheels against the 18", but this seems to be of no problem.

Reactions: Tom.H