Best way to carry bikes?

Nifty

Reaction score
I've an a4 avant, with built in roof bars..... I've also got the hidden tow bar..... I want to transport 2 adult bikes, and 2 children's bikes.... What do you guys reckon is the best, safest way?

I've got a B7 Avant and I carry my bikes on the roof with Thule bike carriers.
If I had a towbar fitted I'd go with a towbar carrier without a doubt but I can't justify the expense of a towbar and a bike carrier as well. As you've already got the towbar fitted it'll probably be much cheaper for a towbar carrier than it would be for roof bars and four bike mounts.

Thule roof carriers without doubt. If you take off pedals and turn handlebars to side you can squeeze 2 adult bikes in relatively tight space. Should be plenty room for kids bikes then. Not a fan of rear carriers as access to the boot is restricted and seeing lights, etc.

there's pro's and cons to each: depends how often they're going on and off and what type of driving you're doing.... for most purposes I'd suggest going the expensive route and fitting a hidden tow-bar and getting the matching bike rack, but you already have the hidden tow bar (result!!) .... see if your tow-bar manufacturer does a bike rack - Westfalia (OEM) and most big makes do them, if so, then go that route.

Tow bar:
PRO
1) lower centre of gavity
2) less obvious interference (wind, etc) for long range cruising
3) easier to load bikes by yourself
4) less likely to damage the car
5) leaves the roof clear for roof-boxes, etc.
CON
1) way more expensive as you need the tow bar fitted (not an issue for you)
2) need the tow-bar wiring and a backboard (only the simple half of that equation is an issue for you)
3) more difficult to get into the boot in a rush (kids puking / demanding things)
4) can't tow (probably not an issue if you're bringing a caravan/trailer anyway?)

The A4 had the towbar and the new A6 doesn't... so personally I'm going to pony-up and get a hidden tow-bar fitted just after xmas... and then a tilting bike rack platform... this one being on the research list.

cyclecarrier_platform.jpg

Thanks for all your replies fellas..... Leaning towards a tow/tilt now.....

I went with roof. Turn the bikes in opposite directions and you'll fit it no issue.

I have Thule aero roof rails and 591 bike carriers on mine, you can get 5 bikes up there at a squeeze.....

I like having mine on the roof, they're very secure up there and easily accessible given that I'm pretty tall and the car is lowered. Only problem with roof carriers is that you obviously need one per bike, and at around £140 each it's probably not the cheapest solution for four bikes, though package deals are available.

I was faced with this issue when going to France last July... me and a mate have 2 rather expensive downhill bikes and they are ****** heavy!

I've seen some bikes on roof bars and seen them wobbling around at speed going over bumps etc and didnt fancy £4K flapping around in the wind at motorway speeds either! so i bit the bullet and got a fixed Thule towbar supplied and fitted by Indespension in Carlisle for £200. While in the shop I also spotted the Thule Euro G2 bike carrier. it has wheel straps and a locking frame clamp to keep them secure and it also folds for easy access into the boot, so managed to get that for £250 and took the bike home from there and was well impressed! bike didnt wobble around at speed or anything so i was happy! although with nearly 40KG on it on the way to france it got a bit of a shake on at excessive speeds so kept it at around 75 and it was happy.

expensive at the start but so worth it! and i can use it on any of our cars/vans as they all have towbars. :)

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...d-bike-carriers/thule-euroway-g2-921-_-921000