Best way to leave the motor whilst on deployment

audibhoy

pedal 2the metal!
Reaction score
hey guys,

just asking how i should leave my A3 whilst i go on deployment in the gulf for 6 months with the Royal Navy??:unsure::unsure::unsure:

cheers in advance

interesting question. Do you have a garage? If so, then it should be fine locked in the garage, I guess for extra precaution you could remove a vital part of the ignition system, if thats possible on these cars?

I know from experience (the old XR2 that I have holed up in a garage) that leaving a car for a long time, the advice to keep the handbrake off, and if possible stick the car up on axle stands to prevent getting distorted tyres. Also a good idea to leave the windows open a crack to prevent the stale air smell in the cabin, but depends how sensitive the alarm is, which leads me to think perhaps it could be worth dis-connecting the battery?

hey guys,

just asking how i should leave my A3 whilst i go on deployment in the gulf for 6 months with the Royal Navy??:unsure::unsure::unsure:

cheers in advance

nothing is worse than just sitting there. Leave it with someone who you can trust to start the engine every other week to a month for 3 minutes and better yet drive it around the block. A run around the block will keep all moving pieces in shape, top off the battery and get a new layer of oil on the metal surfaces. Just like with an airplane or boat...

BTW, I'm a yank but I'm happy to know someone from this forum is serving our mututal interests in the Gulf and my hat is always off to fellow service member. Good luck, bud!

nick,

not got a garage but the car will be 'housed' in the multi-storey car park on the naval base with nuclear submarines so it, 'should' be safe from theft...lol

is the alarm/immobiliser connected to the ignition system in any way, cos the last thing i want is after 6 months away getting into my car and the immobiliser activated....

also i dont think that the MOD (ministry of defence3 police would like to see it on ramps either as the crazy b*stards might think it scrap lol

what you think pal?

cheers macy

im sure i will be having a few beers with your boys and girls in the PX in Bahrain

nick,

not got a garage but the car will be 'housed' in the multi-storey car park on the naval base with nuclear submarines so it, 'should' be safe from theft...lol

is the alarm/immobiliser connected to the ignition system in any way, cos the last thing i want is after 6 months away getting into my car and the immobiliser activated....

also i dont think that the MOD (ministry of defence3 police would like to see it on ramps either as the crazy b*stards might think it scrap lol

what you think pal?

I dont much about the immobilisers in these cars. You could take the battery out and stick it in the boot for when you get back, then maybe it wont go flat while you're away.

I'd also say that if you can't stick it on stands to ensure there is plenty of air in the tyres before you leave it and be sure there are no so flats, as if it does have and it's sits on a flat tyre for months it will knacker the tyre.

Is there no one staying who's going to look after the cars? I've deployed and left cars behind before and we always left the keys with someone, normally the rear party WO2. Every month one of the lads would go around and start them all up. I got back was handed my keys, started first time and I went home :icon_thumright:

Not sure how best to store your motor but all the suggestion seem viable, my favourite would be having someone you trust give it a run every now and agin and get it up to normal running temp, Good luck mate and come back safe and well.