BHP testing

AirmaxLondon

Reaction score
Good morning, i have recently purchased a S3 8p from a dealer in Kent and I'm starting to think the car is not running stock.
I'm pulling between 15-19 mpg ive only had a few days so am still on my first tank lol.
Any recommendations for a good local to london tuner who could test the software and power output. drives great with LOTS of noise and power.
Was always going to go down the mapped stage but want to make sure that if this is mapped its been done right, i want to enjoy this car without causing it issues

Good morning, i have recently purchased a S3 8p from a dealer in Kent and I'm starting to think the car is not running stock.
I'm pulling between 15-19 mpg ive only had a few days so am still on my first tank lol.
Any recommendations for a good local to london tuner who could test the software and power output. drives great with LOTS of noise and power.
Was always going to go down the mapped stage but want to make sure that if this is mapped its been done right, i want to enjoy this car without causing it issues
Reccommended is R tech in nuneaton, as niki is the goto guy for these engines but its not really london, so id probably say awesome gti or amd tuning, as they should both have dynos on site.

Not many stocks s3 8p left and if youve got plenty of noise with that mpg you car is either been remapped already.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Difficult to say without it being dyno'd and even so would only show power, you'd need a tuner to know for sure.

+1 to R-Tech if you want the absolute experts on these cars.

If the car is totally stock on parts i.e. no intake or exhaust upgrades then it must be either stock or stage 1 at the most, and if it is mapped it's probably just an off the shelf one like a Bluefin/Superchips which would give a ~40bhp increase over stock and put it at around 300bhp over the 262 standard. Anything over that would require upgraded parts, intake at absolute minimum followed by exhaust and then intercooler and HPFP and beyond.
A way you'd be able to tell if it's at this power would be a side by side drag run with either a newer Audi S3 (8v) or a Mk7/7.5 VW Golf R which are 295-305bhp stock. If you keep up with them, it's mapped to Stage1. If they pull on you it's likely not.
For exhaust noise, it may have just had a resonator delete, that'd be easy to check for by looking underneath at the exhaust, the resonator is a 1 foot long or so cylinder halfway down the exhaust between the front and the backbox, a common cheap mod is to cut these out and replace with a section of straight pipe. This gives more noise and maybe the odd pop/crackle but causes a noticeable drone on the motorway at around 70-80mph. Alternatively it may have had the stock exhaust valves removed or disconnected meaning they are open all the time.

Thanks for your responses guys, I've had the car down at AMD today to go on the dyno.
Car was pulling 259bhp, they told me car has a miltech cat back (apologies if my terminology is wrong) and a unbranded down pipe. The guy said he would guess its been mapped before and powered down at some point for the sale as the intake box is damaged and needs replacing and the intercooler has plastic ends which are from a A3??? Bit of research here tells me that the face-lifts have this intercooler as standard so not sure why he said that. MPG has gotten better today, nearly got 30mpg for the trip down the a13.

So my conclusion is its been mapped to suit the exhaust system fitted, with no power gains, or loads more horses escaped and this mod is just bringing it back to where it should be...

Thanks for your responses guys, I've had the car down at AMD today to go on the dyno.
Car was pulling 259bhp, they told me car has a miltech cat back (apologies if my terminology is wrong) and a unbranded down pipe. The guy said he would guess its been mapped before and powered down at some point for the sale as the intake box is damaged and needs replacing and the intercooler has plastic ends which are from a A3??? Bit of research here tells me that the face-lifts have this intercooler as standard so not sure why he said that. MPG has gotten better today, nearly got 30mpg for the trip down the a13.

So my conclusion is its been mapped to suit the exhaust system fitted, with no power gains, or loads more horses escaped and this mod is just bringing it back to where it should be...

Attachments

• 16304302052855605657804150403432.jpg
    16304302052855605657804150403432.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • 16304302462557641025121241841518.jpg
    16304302462557641025121241841518.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Entirely possible as alot of people struggle to sell modified and revert to stock today money back on part but id still take it to rtech, if it was a stage 1 with reverted mods you would expect 270-280 bhp with the exhaut as the stock is restrictive.

My only concern would be is if it was stage 2+ and then reverted as it would've had a uprated high pressure fuel pump and would have been mapped accordingly. So in theory if you put the stock fuel pump in to sell it and dont have the car mapped to account for the change because the person is about to spend more to for a car he/she wants to sell.

Could be the reason you getting **** mpg (it may be alright i may be wrong as ive personally never cared about mpg im about the smiles per gallon).

Or it may just be stock with an exhaust either way id take it to r tech have him check for signs mapping and maybe log it

And ye s3 stock intercooler comes with plastic ends

As mine was advertised as "stock" but was actually tuned by a cowboy with stock parts trying to push for 32psi of boost and dump the max amount of fuel .... so i had 278 bhp but every time i gave it some it would drop off to about 246 and would eventually feel bullish

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

The stock intercooler for the S3 comes with plastic end caps - doesn’t mean it needs to be changed so unless you’re chasing big power or it’s leaking, leave it as it is. I would have thought AMD could have been more exact as for saying it’s an A3

It’s worth noting that these engines are 261bhp/259ftlb stock so if you’re running 259 with intake and full turbo back system (of mixed parts), I suspect it’s not tuned. Nevertheless, it's good that the power is close to factory for the age of the car.

What intake do you have?

As for mileage - 30mpg is about right for leisurely motorway driving. If you’re driving hard in town then yep, 15mpg too.

Last edited:
Reactions: phateuk