BI-xenon's PLEASE HELP LADS

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
I drove home tonight and my left xenon bulb went does anyone know how much these are from audi ??? please

probably £ouch!

do you know its the bulb for sure? could it be the balast/fuse/connection etc?

Now i come to sell my car bulb's and shyte blowing , IS THIS A FECKING JOKE ....does anyone know this feeling when you look up at the sky and scream your head off telling god he's a fecking ******** ...

That's how i feal , its going from bad to worse i used to do this when i was younger but not for year's then i told myself its just being a kid this swearing at the sky lark ...

Now im doing it again , im being tested for sure its a effin joke WTF is going on ....

I feel like getting in the car and doing 140 into a fecking wall ......DAMN !!!! im ****** ....

Woah....it's a blown bulb :| Calm down

If anything, just get some 4300K D2S bulbs off ebay, cheap and simple if you're selling up

Cheers don im just having the a really bad time ..At the mo in one week ...Bent alloy , Cracked window screen , Blown bulb all when im trying to sell the car everything is going wrong , Bills , Baylifts ..1000 pound eleci bills ..going through a red light by accident..... you would not believe the shyte that is happening to us at the moment ..If i didnt wake up in the morning i wouldnt give a rat's that's how it is at the moe ....

Woah....it's a blown bulb :| Calm down

If anything, just get some 4300K D2S bulbs off ebay, cheap and simple if you're selling up

Agreed - i got my D2Rs off ebay for £20 with a years guarantee so you houl be able to get the same as there's not much in them :D

Hope you get your life back in track mate.. :thumbsup:

Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Last edited:
right ive just been quoted 163 quid for a bulb for my xenon's is there any other bulbs that will fit my xenons light's audi are saying only this bulb will fit can anyone help please

Cheers don im just having the a really bad time ..At the mo in one week ...Bent alloy , Cracked window screen , Blown bulb all when im trying to sell the car everything is going wrong , Bills , Baylifts ..1000 pound eleci bills ..going through a red light by accident..... you would not believe the shyte that is happening to us at the moment ..If i didnt wake up in the morning i wouldnt give a rat's that's how it is at the moe ....

F**k 'em all mate! Keep your head up high (but don't blow your brains out)

:aggressive:

right ive just been quoted 163 quid for a bulb for my xenon's is there any other bulbs that will fit my xenons light's audi are saying only this bulb will fit can anyone help please

Audi are chatting crap mate

I got my bulbs off ebay, they are D2S fitment

these are the xenon's i have i dont know what i need ..the whole new light , does it have a bulb or what i need people to be more specific please ...

also ive found a bulb this is the psrt number will this fit ? N10445701

6.jpg

It wont matter, single xenons and bi-xenons both have D2S fitment bulbs for the dipped beam, dipped and main in bi-xenon's obviously

I've got the single xenons, you have bi-xenons by the looks of it

I can assure you they are the same D2S fitment

thank mate so im gona have to buy a set of these then does anyone have a link to some i get get ??

Did Audi give you a part no. mate? 163 quid does sounds expensive but then again I don't think you'll get much change out of £100.

thank mate so im gona have to buy a set of these then does anyone have a link to some i get get ??

Can't go on ebay at work mate, but just type in D2S 4300K and it will come up with hundreds of bulbs

Did Audi give you a part no. mate? 163 quid does sounds expensive but then again I don't think you'll get much change out of £100.

Bulbs for £100? Are you joking?

A decent pair will cost £40-£50

Hi Blazin, Although im relatively new to Audisport i happen to know quite a lot about HID systems (Comes with my work territory)

If it is your bulb (Which is more than likely concidering your bent alloy, assuming its was damaged by a bump) then you can get a replacment quite easily and cheaply. I would still check the fuses though as HID bulbs are relatively robust and manufacturers usually say that xenon bulbs should last the lifetime of the car.

...But there are some things you should take into concideration when you replace your bulb.

If you replace the bulb that has blown/been damaged with a brand new one, you will more than likely notice a slight colour difference between the bulbs. This is due to the way that Xenon bulb age. Your old bulb will be slightly more blue/white than the new one. If i were replacing a dud bulb in my own system, i would change both and keep the other an emergency spare, but as your selling the car its probably not worth it. You may want to try to find a second hand one on ebay if your concerned.

If you were keeping the car this would be more of a problem although a potential buyer (how knows what their looking at) my notice.

Replacing the bulb can be quite dangerous and I recommend you do a little bit of reading into the subject before you do it. The system uses high voltages to work, particularly when the system first starts up from cold! therefore...Take care!

Another peice of advice is not to touch the bulbs glass capsule with your bare fingers as oils from your skin will reduce the lifespan of the bulb (conciderably!).

A quick search throws up the following results as potential replacments:

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/d2s-bulbs-c-23.htm

Hope this helps, and im sorry to hear about your current situation. Im sure with time things will improve!

Last edited:
It turns out ive had a spout of good luck the connector was loose on the back of the xenon probably jolted loose by the pothole pluGged it back in firm and its lit up fine ..So its all good apart from and hour ago we found out my girlfriends mother has just died today ...unbelievable ..

10 blazin

Hope things better soon just think it can only get better and try and be positive...pep talk over glad you got bulb sorted.

I wondered what it was like to replace a xenon bulb so maybe ill aim this at the resident "expert" zerohour :p!!

Zerohour

My current A3 has the adaptive xenons but can you explain a bit more about them to me as im quite thick when it comes to xenons. I know theyre gas discharge hence the brighter white colour etc but the units have large round bulbs on xenon fitted cars do you replace the whole bulb or just a filament? Still need to read up more and to be honest i hope i sell the car before i have to change the bulb ive never had to change one yet in any of my cars!

Zerohour

My current A3 has the adaptive xenons but can you explain a bit more about them to me as im quite thick when it comes to xenons. I know theyre gas discharge hence the brighter white colour etc but the units have large round bulbs on xenon fitted cars do you replace the whole bulb or just a filament? Still need to read up more and to be honest i hope i sell the car before i have to change the bulb ive never had to change one yet in any of my cars!

Trust me, im no expert but i do know the workings of digital balasts and the theory behind gas discharge bulbs. Its actually quite an intersting subject that will soon be complicated by the introduction of LED based driving lights.

Ill try and answer your questions the best i can. Im not sure what you mean by "large round bulbs" but i think your confusing the projector lens with the electrical lighting system as a HID bulb is roughly the same size as a standard halogen bulb.

Your HID system consists of Three Parts:

Balast > Bulb > Headlight Unit

The balast controls the systems power supply. It is fed from your cars power system just light a normal halogen but the unit precisly controls power to the bulb. When you switch your lights on the system see's a very high resistance bulb (as a HID bulb has no filiment) so the balast produces a very high voltage arc which bridges the electrodes. Have you noticed the change in colour when you switch your headlights on? Why this happens is that the arc produces quite abit of heat which vaporises salts inside the capsule. These salts allows the system to stabalise the arc and the balasts instantly react lowering the voltage untill the arc is stable.

Now headlight units come in many shapes and sizes and have changed over the years. Some maufacturers still use reflecter style headlight housings similar to halogen headlights (Although some halogen headlights have moved to a project unit just like HIDs) these units use D2R capsules as they have a small section of the bulbs covered to reduce glare. Most HID headlight youll see today are in a projecter unit. This is the large glass "Jam Jar" you will see in your headlights. This purely focuses the light correctly, and contains a metal plate that "cuts" the beam. This is the shallow Z shape you'll see when your close to something. Bi-Xenons use mechanical actuators to remove a cover inside the headlight allow a greater light spread. A common misconseption is that bi-xenons have two bulbs.

One thing to mention about HID systems in the legal requirments in the UK, by law a car fitted with HID based lighting must have automatic leveling (changing the vertical beam angle to reduce glare) and a headlight cleaning system to reduce glare to other road users. This means all the people just sticking HID based lighting into their existing halogen headlights are breaking the law! (and hopefully failing their MOT's) and subjecting us to massive amounts of glare. I actually think that the police should be alot harder on these people. Your adaptive system adds another dimention of complexity to the system, basically the car knows the steering angle and the speed of the car and adjusts the beam on the horizontal axis to help you see around oncoming corners.

Well im going to cut this as im starting to sound more than geeky enough for tonight! If you have any more questions id be happy to answer them. :thumbsup: