Big Power 5 Cylinder awd hatch back. What would you use?

Squares

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I am new to the forum, but not to cars. Like most I have had a few motors over the years, actually probably about 50. Mostly Jap stuff, plus lots of hatchbacks and mini's when I was younger and a few Beemers too (sorry!). I still actively track day a Mk1 Mx5. Low on power, but big on handling and fun - I am looking for something to compliment it in the stable. A road going monster.

I have a long term itch I need help scratching. A big power 5 cylinder build. I am happy building engines, fabricating, welding etc but I am not sure about the Audi 5 pot family and how they link to the Volvo and Ford's later. I cannot afford to do a big spec build on something like a UR, or an RS2. However, I wanted to know what your thoughts are on the project as a whole, and which chassis, drivetrain and engine you would put together for ease. Why re-invent the wheel.

So, please let me have your suggestions/experiences/links. The most I read, the more I realise I know nothing about Audi's apart from my love for the 5 pot noise has not gone anywhere for 20+ years.

Fixed spec is:

• Affordable AWD/4WD chassis. (which would you choose?)
  • Audi/Volvo/Ford i5 turbo engine. (again which doner would you choose?)
  • Which 4wd drive train/gearbox? Hopefully this will be the same as the doner chassis for ease.

A few examples

S3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLwxlynF-H4

S2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmKRVEriKs

Golf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBiFgEdgQZk

Anyone got any links to any A3/S3 with 5 pot engines?

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

The only 5 pot A3 on the market is the 8P RS3, and they are still mega money, so you're going to have to go old skool for your fix. The Mk4 Golf has a V5 in 150 or 170bhp state of tune, but they are FWD only. S2 would be my choice of 4WD chassis and 5pot power.

Hi JoJo, thanks for the reply. s2 does seem like a good bet, but they seem rare and sort after...

Do you happen to know which gearbox the 800bhp S3 is using? Does the bell housing of a 5pot bolt up to a "standard" quattro box

Hi JoJo, thanks for the reply. s2 does seem like a good bet, but they seem rare and sort after...

Do you happen to know which gearbox the 800bhp S3 is using? Does the bell housing of a 5pot bolt up to a "standard" quattro box

That 800bhp(I think it has more power than that actually?) must be running a straight cut gearbox? The guy goes through the gears without lifting!! :racer:
I really don't know if a standard 'quattro' gearbox would mate upto a V5 engine actually, but what I do know is, the gearbox on the 3.2 V6 and the 1.8T mates up differently, so I'm guessing the V5 won't fit. Need someone more qualified to answer that one methinks.

Ok, thanks for your help so far.

Just to be clear, v5 and FWD are out.

i5 and AWD are in.

:thumbsup:

I too have similar interests but just starting to consider options. There are some amasing big power 5 pot Audis around, apparently there was an old school coupe on 5th Gear with "almost 2000 bhp" didn't see the episode though. Liking RS2s for sure, I think if you can get an engine and rebuild it, then the car it goes in is kind of secondary, be interested to see what you come up with,

I too have similar interests but just starting to consider options. There are some amasing big power 5 pot Audis around, apparently there was an old school coupe on 5th Gear with "almost 2000 bhp" didn't see the episode though. Liking RS2s for sure, I think if you can get an engine and rebuild it, then the car it goes in is kind of secondary, be interested to see what you come up with,

Nice one dude. Yes, solid power doesn't seem to be a problem.

I have found out after a few more hours of reading the the Volvo an Audi engines are different. Took long enough.

So it looks like an Audi i5 aan engine is the one to have. So an S2 would make sense, ideally an abandoned project to save some cash...

PS - The S2 is fricking lardy at 1500kg's! Fat Git.

Reactions: jojo
Retro cars featured an early Audi 80 ice racer a couple of months ago with 800bhp. Had a TDI 5 cylinder diesel block with an S2 head, so even if you would get a head and maybe fuel system/top end parts, that could be another source of a block. Crash course in Swedish and find out what these Scandinavian ice racers are up to me thinks!
Surprised RS2s are that heavy, was this for an Avant, nothing compared to modern stuff I am sure though.

The Ford / Volvo 5 cylinder is the same engine (according to wikipedia) and is transverse through a Haldex centre diff (which is why I bought an S4 in the end), same as the A3 / Golf AWD, It's also a lot more modern than the old Audi lump and thus more complex, has variable timing etc.

If you want a modern 5 in a hatch, I would either just buy a Focus ST (probably defeats the point) or shoe the engine and gearbox from a V70R (not all are AWD and only the later ones are 300BHP) into a A3 body and try and link the gearbox rear wheel output to the Haldex input. How to control the Haldex I have no idea.

I know you want a hatch but I'd consider the a4 and above quattro. You can source a 5 pot engine longitudinal to fit with the audi quattro gearbox then you have a torsen equipped 5pot. Much more reliable and IMO better than haldex

I think this may be of some use as well.

Golf RS3 | VAGOC.co.uk

One of the 800+bhp S3's is using one of the original 5 pot engines,longitudinally mounted and driving through a Torsen diff etc as far as I can remember.

That's the one built by TSRacing.

Getting much above 550bhp from the current 5 pot is pretty expensive,and whilst there are a few engines running that sort of power,there have been a few problems along the way,so most of the big power cars are currently in the 500-550 bracket,and the APR kit is about the only one that's sort of on the market right now.

The 2.0TFSi can run that sort of power as well,and you may want to look down that route as well.

The Ford / Volvo 5 cylinder is the same engine (according to wikipedia) and is transverse through a Haldex centre diff (which is why I bought an S4 in the end), same as the A3 / Golf AWD, It's also a lot more modern than the old Audi lump and thus more complex, has variable timing etc.

If you want a modern 5 in a hatch, I would either just buy a Focus ST (probably defeats the point) or shoe the engine and gearbox from a V70R (not all are AWD and only the later ones are 300BHP) into a A3 body and try and link the gearbox rear wheel output to the Haldex input. How to control the Haldex I have no idea.

There was an internet link of someone 4wd a new focus rs with v70 r running gear 0-60 was like sub 4 seconds ! But as above would be my thoughts.

Sean

Get an old 80 Quattro... nice and light and shoe horn an S2 motor in , strip out the interior , fit a cage and you have one big bucket of fun

Liking this thread a lot, that Golf RS looks fantastic and seems to be rattling ahead at some pace. |still like the old 80 Quattro idea though, was seriously tempted by a very nice low mileage one for sale recently but it was just 2wd, so needed conversion there too. I take it the general opinion is that Haldex is less reliable/more expensive to maintain-upgrade?