Bigger tyres for enhanced rim protection?

Wibbly

Reaction score
So as the title says is this a good/bad/indifferent way to go?

I have a 2015 A3 sline with standard 18" wheels and (sports) suspension. 225/40/R18 tyres. Looking for quiet all seasons tyres with excellent rim protection - which don't seem to exist, based on another thread I started.

So if I was to go for, say, 235 tyres it seems I may be able to relax the rim protection requirement as they'd be wider anyway. They'd also be a slightly larger diameter which would make the speedo marginally under read, but I can live with that.

Anyone done this kind of thing? Is my thought process valid? Any gotcha's going 'one size up' like this?

I use 235 as my winters as that's what I had for previous cars. Never encountered any problems with running them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have a 2015 A3 sline with standard 18" wheels and (sports) suspension. 225/40/R18 tyres. Looking for quiet all seasons tyres with excellent rim protection - which don't seem to exist, based on another thread I started.
Have you had a look at Vredestein Quatrac Pros?

I had a set of 225/45 17s (the stock size) on a facelift 2.0TFSI which I don't have any more, and for the most part they were very good.

The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was that the dry weather braking wasn't as keen as it was on summers, but there's always going to be a compromise somewhere. If all seasons were as good as summer tyres in the summer and as good as winter tyres in the winter, everybody would buy them.

Rather more pertinently for you, probably, is that they were no noisier than the OEM Bridgestone summers, and they did have very good rim protection. I didn't take a picture of a pound coin balanced on it, I'm afraid - for the same reason that I don't take pictures of my food - so you'll have to do a bit more research yourself.

I got them on the strength of various reviews on sites like Auto Bild TiresgezundheitMesserschmitt.com, and on balance I'd get them again.

The other thing that might be worth bearing in mind (and I'm slightly leery of coming across all virtuous in saying this) is that as far as I know it's illegal for a speedometer to under-read.

I suspect I wouldn't lose any sleep over it myself, so it's just an FYI kind of a thing.

Reactions: Wibbly
The other thing that might be worth bearing in mind (and I'm slightly leery of coming across all virtuous in saying this) is that as far as I know it's illegal for a speedometer to under-read.
But most speedometers over read from the factory, so maybe I'll end up with one that's actually accurate :)

Couple of things to think about.
extra width isn’t going to make much difference. 5mm either side. doesn’t mean there will be extra 5mm protection.
On the hatch/sportback the wheels are 7.5in wide on 18s so you getting towards the limit of what a 7.5in wheel can take as a tyre. Saloon are 8in wide so a little more to play with. Too wide a tyre on a narrow alloy will cause the contact patch to dome rather than sit flat so could adversely affect handling/braking etc.
other thing is you will need to tell insurance as the tyre is not within the factory spec so will be a modification, might increase premiums might not but they will need to be told.
If it was me it’s easier to drive with a bit more care, try not to kerb alloys and to stick to factory sizes as Audi has developed the car to use these and the electronics like abs/esp are meant to work with these sizes.
from the tyres I’ve had in the 225/40/18 the AO rated Pirelli’s have the biggest rim protectors I’ve ever seen, over 8mm from face of alloy, but they don’t make all season tyres with Ao rating, at least not that I could find.

Reactions: Wibbly
extra width isn’t going to make much difference. 5mm either side. doesn’t mean there will be extra 5mm protection.
On the hatch/sportback the wheels are 7.5in wide on 18s so you getting towards the limit of what a 7.5in wheel can take as a tyre. Saloon are 8in wide so a little more to play with. Too wide a tyre on a narrow alloy will cause the contact patch to dome rather than sit flat so could adversely affect handling/braking etc.
other thing is you will need to tell insurance as the tyre is not within the factory spec so will be a modification, might increase premiums might not but they will need to be told.
All good reasons to stick with stock size. Thanks.
If it was me it’s easier to drive with a bit more care, try not to kerb alloys and to stick to factory sizes as Audi has developed the car to use these and the electronics like abs/esp are meant to work with these sizes.
Isn't it always the case that you take care then eventually they get smacked. Eventually happens to me, and costs ~£90 a corner to get the alloy repaired :-(
from the tyres I’ve had in the 225/40/18 the AO rated Pirelli’s have the biggest rim protectors I’ve ever seen, over 8mm from face of alloy, but they don’t make all season tyres with Ao rating, at least not that I could find.
I have the Pirelli's and like them. Just they are getting in need of replacement and thinking that here in the UK using tyres not recommended for use below 7 deg C is not sustainable.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Isn't it always the case that you take care then eventually they get smacked. Eventually happens to me, and costs ~£90 a corner to get the alloy repaired
my experience is don’t let the wife drive the car :wink:
I run a winter set of wheels/tyres so get the best of both worlds as I like a dedicated summer so I can drive like I stole it when opportunity arises.
looking at the cross climate 2 or good year vector 4 season to replace my winters this time round instead of full on winters.

tyre chart on my door for my 2015 s3 hatch lists 235/40/18 as an option for the car as well as 225/40/18 so would not out with factory spec.

tyre chart on my door for my 2015 s3 hatch lists 235/40/18 as an option for the car as well as 225/40/18 so would not out with factory spec.

Mine doesn’t have that size
Only 235/35/19
7F61F470 01F8 4332 9D5F E0322956A5D9

Sorry doesn't say that on my one either. Must be thinking about when I put my reg into tyre websites it gives me the option of 225 or 235 not sure why

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk