Bit of a strange dilemma?

Raiden

Reaction score
Not sure to do, and wondering what any of you would do?

So almost 3 years ago my wife’s mini got stolen which she owed over 30 years and was heartbroken. Never found it and after 2 years accepted it was gone and took the insurance pay out.

Day before Xmas eve see got a phone call at 2am in the morning and got left 2 voicemails from a withheld number saying an address where it is. Personally I think it’s trolls but she insisted on checking the address out. I peaked over the fence to see one old mini in a right state and another under a cover along with a BMW 1-Series. She thinks it’s the one under cover but how the hell do I get to have a look?

I said look we could knock on the door and be honest and if the people are genuine they’ll show us and prove we are wrong. But I said she needs to come with me as I think having a woman with me it’s less intimidating plus I said get your violin out. But she won’t do it. If it is the car and it is nicked the people inside won’t be happy me asking im thinking.

She went on land registry and found out it’s a housing association place but what’s weird they have built a strange car port for these cars which I don’t think you’re allowed to do.

On fb we actually found the neighbours across the road and we have a mutual friend who said they would ask them about it.

Also I forgot to add. At the time it was stolen police said ANPR spotted on a trailer in a town 7 miles from us. The address we have been given is about a mile from where it was last seen.

What do you think? Leave it or keep digging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speak to the police, I'm sure they'll do a drop in to ask for documents.

Its really upto you & if she's really that upset, put the time in.

I'd be asking myself, why the anonymous tel message after 3 years and how did they get your number.

Also, unless they knew you or your number the only way to get it would be if they did have the car and maybe it had mobile details in it with other paperwork, but then why get in contact now.

if you have the adress , why not google earth the location.
GE is not always up to date but around build-up areas it can sometimes only be a few months adrift.
Find the location , use the histogram function to view the same spot or garden over the last 3 years or so, you may see more than you expect, may even see it uncovered .

It is very weird. At the time the story was all over social media, local news and even bbc picked up the story so in theory you could find it with our details which at first made me think it was trolls but after seeing the cars in garden it made me think a bit why would someone go to this trouble for a joke? Walking past this house you wouldn’t know cars are in there without climbing on the wall to peak over the fence.

Did consider asking the police but they were not interested a few years ago when we had a pedo heroin addict roaming the streets. I did think if I did contact them and they did do nothing I’d say look I’ll do it myself but you won’t like the outcome hence why I’d rather you go round there

Technically, as you received an insurance payout, the car belongs to them. You should really be telling the insurance company where it is.

Reactions: Raiden and Charlie Farley
Leave it be. You have been paid out by the insurance company and you have no technical right to it and the current owner might have bought it as salvage. Save the hassle and headache

I’ve tried to tell her leave it alone but she said if there’s a chance she rather have it back and hand back the insurance money. But telling them is a good idea

I’ve tried to tell her leave it alone but she said if there’s a chance she rather have it back and hand back the insurance money. But telling them is a good idea

Ring the police, The man whose house it’s at Obviously knows it’s yours and has ran his mouth too much to someone he’s fell out with that’s how you’ve come to know about it.

Reactions: Raiden

Like others have said I’d leave well alone. Insurance own it now it’s been bought salvage. Let’s face it old minis are snapped up even in rough shape. You could be conservative with the truth and say you’ve had a look and it’s not hers (different reg and colour). But IMO I would stay clear in case it opens a whole new can of worms.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Unless you identify that the vehicle is the stolen one leave alone.

if you can then contact police and insurance, but I doubt much would come of it, and if it did it could be a long process.

it’s gone, by the time you get it back depending on condition you may have wished it stayed gone.