Bitdi to S6

DonkeyIce

Reaction score
Thinking about making the jump, disappointed a few months back when I missed out on a new one, a nice used one has come up with the right spec
Chewing over the running cost differences, but can’t make a decision, help lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Don't even look.at comparable fuel consumption it's a twin turbo V8. But honestly I was diesel for years and will never go back now. I'd sooner spend more on fuel and have fun driving
Plus diesels sound **** end of. Stock the s6 is a good car but it's really held back in its current state of tune. Tune it and you've got a bargain RS power car. I got the audiconnect pack what a waste used it 2-3 times in 2.5 years. Total waste.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPek9
Don't even look.at comparable fuel consumption it's a twin turbo V8. But honestly I was diesel for years and will never go back now. I'd sooner spend more on fuel and have fun driving
Plus diesels sound **** end of. Stock the s6 is a good car but it's really held back in its current state of tune. Tune it and you've got a bargain RS power car. I got the audiconnect pack what a waste used it 2-3 times in 2.5 years. Total waste.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Coming from a 2.0 petrol A5, I found the sound of the BiTDi a little distracting at first, but I've got used to it. I find the standard power quite enough and have no plans for a remap - especially I am still under the Audi Used warranty.
Indeed I positively do not want a car that is always tugging at my sleeve as if to say "let's be naughty". Too tempting :friendly wink:.

Reactions: blackwood and DonkeyIce
Well over 12 months on in the S6 still loving it and accepted its 15mpg down on the diesel

Fantastic car, the thing that stops me being too naughty in it is ****** traffic!!

Reactions: rjwojcik
I've got an itch to scratch, seriously looking at S6s now. My BiTDI is less economical than the M3 I had, due to no commute to work now.

Reactions: DonkeyIce
I've got an itch to scratch, seriously looking at S6s now. My BiTDI is less economical than the M3 I had, due to no commute to work now.

Do it bud, I’ve not regretted the move at all.
Love my discrete V8

I thought the new S6 was diesel with fake exhaust/tips and no petrol option ?
Would rather buy an A6 with the 3lt tfsi engine which pushes out the same hp as the S6 - albeit without the fancy bells and whistles!

Having owned my BiTDi for a couple years now - I'm starting to miss the sound of a petrol!

I thought the new S6 was diesel with fake exhaust/tips and no petrol option ?
Would rather buy an A6 with the 3lt tfsi engine which pushes out the same hp as the S6 - albeit without the fancy bells and whistles!

Having owned my BiTDi for a couple years now - I'm starting to miss the sound of a petrol!

The C8 is, but we're talking about the previous C7 here. The C7 came with a petrol 4L V8, with real exhaust tips and 450 ps.

I have some stats for you from the now-defunct but well-respected Audi driver magazine. The point here is that they had a repeatable road-test routine that always included the test track at MIRA and the same touring route and the same road-tester, the late Paul Harris, using the same techniques.
Their road-test A6 BiTdi was down on power and gave poor acceleration figures so I am including those from the A7 BiTDi tested in October 2012 and other comparable models tested by the same team.
A6 BiTDi 0-60 6.3, 0-80 9.6, 30-50 in 3rd 2.0, 50-70 in 3rd 2.9, overall fuel consumption 37.5
A7 BiTDi 0-60 4.8, 0-80 8.2, 30-50 in 3rd 1.9, 50-70 in 3rd 2.7, overall fuel consumption 34.6
S7 420PS 0-60 5.0, 0-80 7.7, 30-50 in 3rd 1.8, 50-70 in 3rd 2.6, overall fuel consumption 21.0
RS7 560 0-60 3.9, 0-80 5.9, 30-50 in 3rd 2.0, 50-70 in 3rd 2.1, overall fuel consumption 23.1
RS6 560 0-60 4.2, 0-80 6.1, 30-50 in 3rd 1.9, 50-70 in 3rd 2.5, overall fuel consumption 23.3

From the above you can see that the S6 will give roughly the same performance, give or take, roughly 15 mpg less as confirmed by DonkeyIce, and the most fabulous soundtrack to equal any AMG Mercedes.

Yer pays yer money......

Reactions: blackwood, DonkeyIce and rjwojcik
Don’t forget that’s the older S6/S7 engine

The later 450PS engine gives more (and almost 500 according to some with high octane)

GPS boxed Mine at 3.8 to 62 with Tesco momentum, quite different to those figures

Don’t forget that’s the older S6/S7 engine

The later 450PS engine gives more (and almost 500 according to some with high octane)

GPS boxed Mine at 3.8 to 62 with Tesco momentum, quite different to those figures

You are echoing my comments about repeatability. That is the tests were carried out on the same track (same tarmac coefficient of friction) by the same tester and same test equipment and similar launch technique.
The 0-62 figures for your car are clearly more rapid than the tester's RS6 and RS7.

You are echoing my comments about repeatability. That is the tests were carried out on the same track (same tarmac coefficient of friction) by the same tester and same test equipment and similar launch technique.
The 0-62 figures for your car are clearly more rapid than the tester's RS6 and RS7.

Agreed, And ambient temperature/fuel used/ how full the tank is/tyres/tyre pressures/how much crap in the boot.
0-100 is really willy waving for the pub and figures vary significantly unless you average 10-20 runs or so but then atmospherics change, heat soak etc have a big impact, especially on this inboard v8.
Just been trying to find where I stored the data to share from the works kit, but only did them as interested to see what it could do. It’s fast enough for me and still discreet enough to be left alone.

the s6 is leagues ahead of the Bitdi in terms of performance regardless of what the butt dyno says. I’m well aware it’s not an RS6 but not as far behind as the official figures declare (it is VW group after all )

Last edited:
I know they're getting a little long in the tooth now and it's not as fast as the new S6, but the old the supercharged V6 petrol remaps straight to 400bhp* and you have DCT and no turbo lag.

Fuel economy stinks compared to BiTDI, but I do very low mileage in my A6 and saved nearly £15k compared to an identical pre-registered BiTDI, so as far as I'm concerned, 9 years later I've done <25k miles, so I'm still driving for "free"!

*It holds 350lb/ft @ 2500rpm to a peak of 375lb/ft @4000rpm and still 350lb/ft out to 6500rpm and still pulling hard beyond that, if you want to hang in there... the torque curve lacks the butt dyno TDI/turbo "whoosh", but the instantaneous+relentless power is pretty good fun!

Reactions: DonkeyIce and Roadrunner146