BKD 140 S3 Intercooler and boost pipes?....

JoeyRYZ

Reaction score
hey guys, first post so sorry if im in the wrong section or if this has been covered before... but i cannot find a definitive answer!

im trying to upgrade the standard bkd cooler with that of s3 due to running hybrid turbo and remap etc... i am struggling to find and answers on which boost pipes i require to complete the conversion? i have seen people talking about the forge hose kits but i emailed forge and they said that these will not work on the s3 cooler? so i wondered if i purchase the s3 pipes will i be able to fit these to the standard pipes (from turbo etc)?

I hope that kind of makes sense as ive heard this is quite a common upgrade, i just get seem to find info on the hoses required!

thanks in advance!

Seems Like I was doing alot of worrying over nothing? Reply from dark side if it helps anyone else wondering!

Hi Joe,

We just used the stock pipes and chopped the Clip Connectors off the end and used clamps to secure the hoses over the cooler. Pretty straightforward really.

Thanks!

Scott

just been playing with intercooler set up myself on mine found i had lots of lag in 5th and 6th gear and think it would require some more mapping to cure this ive gone back to standard for the meantime

Darkside are currently fitting a new BKD engine, hybrid turbo and uprated clutch right now, tempted to do this too....

So you used stock S3 IC & had issues, can you expand in depth what issues you had please.

So you used stock S3 IC & had issues, can you expand in depth what issues you had please.
sorry i didnt use s3 intercooler went the cheap route and used toyo intercooler which gave me horrid lag in the higher gears and would throw my car in to limp mode. im going to get the guys who mapped my car to look at it at the end of the month as i feel its a mapping problem i might also add the that car felt really strong in the lower gears and run well until i got past 4th when it felt restricted will post up what ive found when i look at it in september

Well I ordered the s3 cooler off dark side which should be with me tomorrow! Will be fitting Monday I hope, so will post results fingers crossed!
Also ordered some new clamps and silicone connectors for converting the original pipes for fitting should they be required!

I had the S3 intercooler on my car.
The intercooler itself fits OK in the place of the original one. One of the pipes though (if you also use the s3 ones) has a different end and does not connect properly to the rest of the piping.
The pipe coming out from the left side of the car is the one with problems. It connects properly to the intercooler but at the other end you cannot use the clip needed because there is no way to clip them. My solution was to use a collar but it is not reliable.
In the end I gave up and came back to the stock intercooler.

Cant see why that wouldnt hold tbh if you used a strong fixing, what was the weak point, the joining tube?

does genuine a3 front mount come out from the top ?

I was toying with the idea of a different intercooler as Iv just done a hybrid conversion! My mate has done exactly the same but he's done forge front mount and a straight through miltek with decat! His made 199bhp and my standard set up made 214bhp, so I won't be wasting my money on a different intercooler! Lol

s3 intercooler will help slightly with egts and stop boost leaks from the clip design