BKD Swap

MKB7

Reaction score
Hello all.
New here, but not new to skinning my knuckles unfortunately! I have been gifted a B7 S Line saloon as the DPF is blocked and the owner lost interest. I want to swap the BKD from my A3 8P into it. I'm assuming it's a straight swap and the manifolds transfer over? I'll probably delete the EGR, EGR cooler and associated faff. Is there anything in particular I should know, something that's not immediately obvious?
Also, can I just use the original B7 loom and plug in my 8P ECU? As you can see, I've assumed that this is a very straight forward swap over and everything is a plug in exercise, for the most part. I worked on the b6 era of Audi/VW when they were new, only ever had 1.9s before! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Micheal.

Not heard of anyone doing a BKD swap. not sure if it's compatible.

Can confirm BRD and BRE are compatible. Simply switch over the injectors and loom

Thanks for your reply.
For an easier life, I may just swap the oil pump from the BKD to the A4 engine, which I'm assuming at this moment is a BLB unit. Are the 2.0 PD oil pumps interchangeable?
Thanks.

BLB and BRE didn't come with a DPF so the car sounds like it's a BRD (2.0 170)

You'll be able to tell if it's a 170 if the car has dual exhausts on the rear

Personally I'd just gut the DPF and EGR and get the current motor up and running. Much easier and better outcome in the long run also

Thanks for you reply.
Yes, two smokers on the back. I've gutted the DPF already, pipe is going back in soon. Unfortunately, I had to snip the wire for the sensor at the front of the DPF. Not the ones for the differential pressure, the temp sensor I think. F*$%ing head on the fitting rounded off, hope there's no running issues. It has 182k miles in the clock, not sure if the oil pump has been done, that's why I was going to have a look at putting the BKD one on when I was doing the timing belt. I reckon if it was going to ring off, it would have done by now!

Well I successfully replaced a BRD with a BRE and only had to swap over the injectors. Not heard of a BKD swap

Best of luck

182k miles is some going. I'd say the drive key has likely been done for the car to still be on the road at that mileage

My B7 avant is running a bkd from A golf you need to swap the sump to the blb sump or whatever engine your removing due to the subframe as the bkd is mounted a different way, use the oil pickup pipe from a 1.9 and swap the rocker cover. And also the mounts and timing belt rear casing and tensioner setup. I think that was all but its in and running well so far