Black edition questions

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
hi all

Well I went out and treated myself to a 2011 black edition 170 last week, it is Xmas after all! I'm delighted with the car although a little nervous when the wife's at the wheel! I've been getting to grips with all the different functions however there's s couple I'm not sure about. Apologies if this has been covered, I can't find the info I'm after.

Firstly, the front and rear parking sensors seem to have to be manually switched on, apart from when I select reverse. What I mean is if I drive into a car park, the sensors don't do anything unless I have to reverse, or actually switch them on, and even then I have to be doing under 5mph for them to activate.
Is there a way I can have them permanently on, and switch them off when I don't want them? Surely most folk would want sensors to be on, and not just for parking?

Secondly, I've connected my phone to the car using Bluetooth for calls. Is there a way I can use Bluetooth to play my music through the sterio? I have an iPhone 4 for the time being, I don't have the ami cable for plugging into the glove box, and there isn't anything in the arm rest other than a 12v socket. I could buy the ami cable, and plug my phone in every time, but ideally I wouldnt have to reach over and put my phone into the glove box every time, sounds lazy really! I've seen Bluetooth adaptors on eBay but not sure what the simplest and best options are.

Help and advice is much appreciated guys

Cheers
Donnie

If you buy the AMI cable you can also purchase a Viseoo Tune-to-Air adaptor to convert the connection to be capable of Bluetooth streaming.

The front sensors on my 2011 A5 are permanently live and beep when I drive forwards into the garage.

Last edited:
I don't think you could react quick enough if the sensor bleeped at a speed above 5 mph?
My sensors behave the same as yours. If you think your front end is near something, press the button on the dash to turn them on.

hi all

Well I went out and treated myself to a 2011 black edition 170 last week, it is Xmas after all! I'm delighted with the car although a little nervous when the wife's at the wheel! I've been getting to grips with all the different functions however there's s couple I'm not sure about. Apologies if this has been covered, I can't find the info I'm after.

Firstly, the front and rear parking sensors seem to have to be manually switched on, apart from when I select reverse. What I mean is if I drive into a car park, the sensors don't do anything unless I have to reverse, or actually switch them on, and even then I have to be doing under 5mph for them to activate.
Is there a way I can have them permanently on, and switch them off when I don't want them? Surely most folk would want sensors to be on, and not just for parking?

Secondly, I've connected my phone to the car using Bluetooth for calls. Is there a way I can use Bluetooth to play my music through the sterio? I have an iPhone 4 for the time being, I don't have the ami cable for plugging into the glove box, and there isn't anything in the arm rest other than a 12v socket. I could buy the ami cable, and plug my phone in every time, but ideally I wouldnt have to reach over and put my phone into the glove box every time, sounds lazy really! I've seen Bluetooth adaptors on eBay but not sure what the simplest and best options are.

Help and advice is much appreciated guys

Cheers
Donnie

Hi I have a 2013 Black edition and you are correct when parking forwards the sensors are indeed not active and you have to turn them on via the dashboard, I am not sure if this can be changed so they are always active or not and would be interested to know this as I am sure this would be a vcds change ???

as for the AMI I just plugged an old ipod in the glove box as im a Samsung user these days :)

I am glad the sensors are not always live. It would make rush hour a drive full of beeps! Can you imagine if someone gets too close behind? Or indeed you get too close to the car in front? So, yes, you have to manually engage it.

If you have Bluetooth Prep High, you can stream music over bluetooth, otherwise you will just be able to make calls. I'm not sure what the best third party option would be. I just plug in a USB hard drive full of my music and forget about it :)

I am glad the sensors are not always live. It would make rush hour a drive full of beeps! Can you imagine if someone gets too close behind? Or indeed you get too close to the car in front? So, yes, you have to manually engage it.

If you have Bluetooth Prep High, you can stream music over bluetooth, otherwise you will just be able to make calls. I'm not sure what the best third party option would be. I just plug in a USB hard drive full of my music and forget about it :)
That is a very good point allanmb ... that would be rather annoying :)

You are right, hence why I said turn them off when not wanted!

Every other car I've driven with sensors on the front have alarmed to alert you if you start to near an object, not just when parking! I'm surprised that audi is different to this