Black edition

MFM

Reaction score
So my car is the black edition. Is the difference between it and stock literally that all the chrome bits are black?

So my car is the black edition. Is the difference between it and stock literally that all the chrome bits are black?
Fourth brochure down may help you @MFM
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/b8-b8-5-a4-s4-pdf-uk-brochures.241228/

From the October 2011 MY11 brochure - B8 Black Edition model equipment in addition to S-line model equipment -

Wheels, tyres and suspension
19” x 8.5J ‘5-arm rotor’ design titanium finish alloy wheels with 255/35 R19 tyres

Audio and communication
Audi Music Interface
Bang & Olufsen sound system
DAB digital radio

Safety and security
Audi parking system plus (Saloon models only)

Exterior equipment
Black styling package – radiator grille- frame in highly polished black, with radiator grille, number plate holder, front fog light surround and window surround in matt black. Avant models include black roof rails
Privacy glass, dark tinted from B pillar backwards (Avant models only)

Interior equipment
Piano Finish black inlays

Fourth brochure down may help you @MFM
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/b8-b8-5-a4-s4-pdf-uk-brochures.241228/

From the October 2011 MY11 brochure - B8 Black Edition model equipment in addition to S-line model equipment -

Wheels, tyres and suspension
19” x 8.5J ‘5-arm rotor’ design titanium finish alloy wheels with 255/35 R19 tyres

Audio and communication
Audi Music Interface
Bang & Olufsen sound system
DAB digital radio

Safety and security
Audi parking system plus (Saloon models only)

Exterior equipment
Black styling package – radiator grille- frame in highly polished black, with radiator grille, number plate holder, front fog light surround and window surround in matt black. Avant models include black roof rails
Privacy glass, dark tinted from B pillar backwards (Avant models only)

Interior equipment
Piano Finish black inlays
Hmmm. Wonder if mine is bodged then. I have most of what you listed(saloon), but I've got the Le Mans wheels and no dab from what I can see.

Had a few updates then hahaa :)

Had a few updates then hahaa :)
I'd be surprised if it had though. It's clearly a black edition, but doesn't have the code to confirm it. Plus it's got MMI and music interface, no code again. Same with the bluetooth phone etc.

Mine's a standard S4 but has the black styling pack so the grill and surrounds are black. So it is possible to get the black bits on a non-black edition car.

Gotta admit... the black styling pack REALLY makes a Red S4 in particular look sportier.

I like it much better. I love the body color matching mirrors too.

Here's a full exterior tour of a 2014 Red S4 with the black styling pack:

Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 1 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 2 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 3 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 4 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 5 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 6 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 7 Audi S4 Red with Black Styling Pack 8

Last edited:
Reactions: xpoweruk
Gotta admit... the black styling pack REALLY makes a Red S4 in particular look sportier.

I like it much better. I love the body color matching mirrors too.

Here's a full exterior tour of a 2014 Red S4 with the black styling pack:

View attachment 59690 View attachment 59691 View attachment 59692 View attachment 59693 View attachment 59694 View attachment 59695 View attachment 59696 View attachment 59697

This is the black styking pack (optional extra pack) not the Black Edition (full model)?

This is the black styking pack (optional extra pack) not the Black Edition (full model)?
It's a US spec car (LHD). They do things differently there.

AFAIK you can't 'delete' privacy glass on Black Edition, so I guess it's the stupidly name "Black Optics" pack.

416Cr8xvM3L._SX300_.jpg

Reactions: xpoweruk
Interesting, when I bought my Missano avant I had the choice between a BE and a standard and specifically went for the standard as I though it looked better on the red. Looks sportier and meaner with the BE but looks classier in standard.

"The view stated above are solely that of the poster and do not represent other views of other poster who drive other Audis of other colours or other models.....and all that"

:sign werd:

Reactions: TahirS
Me too. When mine finally arrives, I'll to be looking to swap the fake aluminium ones for body coloured.That, and remove the V6T badges

Why would you remove the signature morrirs, should have just ordered the car with body colour
It's a US spec car (LHD). They do things differently there.

AFAIK you can't 'delete' privacy glass on Black Edition, so I guess it's the stupidly name "Black Optics" pack.

416Cr8xvM3L._SX300_.jpg

I wasn't commenting on the pictures, I litteraly meant whats available at dealers and to order. "Black Optics" pack name was dropped, its been "black styling" pack for a while which is just black windows surrounds and black front grill + surround and black driving light trims (fonts are not called foglights). Black edition costs a lot more and gets all the additions listed above (sat-nav, rotors etc.)

I wasn't commenting on the pictures, I litteraly meant whats available at dealers and to order.

Sorry GeoffDunk, I must have misunderstood. My point was that in the USA they don't have the same trim level designations as the UK, so there's no such thing as a US "Black Edition". They have (I think) Prestige, Premium and Premium Plus instead.

As for body colour mirrors on the S4, I didn't see any way to spec that, and wasn't offered the choice. Would be interesting what other non-obvious options would have been possible... My ideal S4 would probably have been a Black edition with 18" wheels, no privacy glass and a light headlining :)

Just checked my codes and half of what is on the car isn't listed there. Lol
MFM, the codes shown on the sticker often seem to be a subset of the actual spec. If your car says "Black Ed" on your V5 it's probably a true BE car. DVLA count BE, S-Line and SE as separate 'models'.

I'm gonna be alone on this one but I like dark grey and black mirrors on bright coloured cars. Something I fell in love with from the new when the mirrors have been wrapped etc

Curious, my car was sold to me as a BE by Audi. Yet I have some differences to the above spec in the form of, I have carbon inlays on the interior and I dont have 19" Rotors, but have the 19" Peelers instead?

Curious, my car was sold to me as a BE by Audi. Yet I have some differences to the above spec in the form of, I have carbon inlays on the interior and I dont have 19" Rotors, but have the 19" Peelers instead?
There's a choice of two 19" alloy wheel designs on Black Edition, Rotors or Peelers. I chose Rotors because I figured they'd be easier to keep clean.

Ah, thats makes things a bit clearer. Agreed, the peelers are not the easiest to clean.

Reactions: TahirS
#teamsepang S4 saloon looks nice with what I'm assuming are what you call peelers (19” x 8.5J ‘5-segment-spoke’ design alloy wheels)
BUT I still prefer Rotors ;) :laughing:

Gorgeous Showroom Sepang S4 1

Thanks to @ThatOneDude for the pic ;)

Reactions: ThatOneDude
I agree that Rotors still look better, BUT they are becoming more and more common! Segments / Peelers have a bit more exclusivity about them :)

Last edited:
A 'Black Edition' should only be available in phantom black metallic paint. That's just my opinion guys :)

I do like black, my last 9 cars have been black. This time its Panther Crystal Black.

[photo=medium]5779[/photo][photo=medium]5778[/photo][photo=medium]5584[/photo][photo=medium]5439[/photo][photo=medium]5441[/photo]

Reactions: mancdan, Tfsi gone and Bristle Hound
I do like black, my last 9 cars have been black. This time its Panther Crystal Black.

[photo="medium"]5779[/photo] [photo="medium"]5778[/photo] [photo="medium"]5584[/photo] [photo="medium"]5439[/photo] [photo="medium"]5441[/photo]

@GeoffDunk - RS4 looks gorgeous Geoff! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Black cars look stunning when clean BUT its keeping 'em clean

I can't live with black cars TBH. Tried & failed :( My OCD kicked in mega time, so much so I wasn't enjoying the car anymore :(
Sad (very sad) I know ... (gets coat & leaves the room with head held in shame)

Reactions: Tfsi gone and jdp1962
I know what you mean, they are mirror like when detailed and clean but swirl realy easy and don't stay clean long.

I look at it like this, i keep my cars clean and look forward to getting them detailed which is when thye look stunning and don'tpanic about it between cleans and detailing. It makes that detailing day very eciting, next one and 1st for the new car is 25th June.

I am having trouble with dust insid ethe car, the black piano picks it up like a super dust attractor. Does anyone have eny times for wipes/clothes that reduce the statick and keep dust at bay for interiors?

I agree. Keeping a black car clean is an ocd job. I live and work near the sea. The other day it looked like an army of seagulls had a paint ball fight using their bum holes targeting my car,
What was worse is that I paid £10 a day before on a new brush free car wash that made the car look mint!

I love the Panther black crystal, I thought BMW carbon black was nice after Merc Obsidian black with its blue tint just like real carbon fibre staright out of the mold but this Panther black has a lot of "crystal" in it which I believe is a coloured nylon polymor and in sunlight it looks purple and green, or purple and emerald as Audi put it.