Blockage in my washer fluid pipe/bottle?

scoss

Reaction score
Just went to fill up the washer bottle and I started to fill the bottle up (which was empty) and I had only been pouring for 5 seconds when the fluid started to make its way up the pipe as if if was nearly full. After a few seconds the fiuld went down and this happen 3/4 times until the bottle was actually full.

Never had this before, both washer jets front and rear work fine.

The cap is always on too so I’m really not sure how the pipe could be blocked.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Is there any solution that I may need to unblock whatever might be in the pipe?

A bit of frost or the screenwash coagulating. Doubt anything could get through the mesh that stops crap getting in.
I would try and flush warm/hot water in and see what if it clears up.

Reactions: Ormesome
had the same problem a few weeks ago just as the car went in for service.
Eventually they had to fit new washer jets as although they were able to improve the performance it was still not great -and only three washers worked even after the cleaning out. Now - superb, cost best part of £60 !
I've never had problems before either - ever - in any cars !

Get washer jets from the A6 (see another thread on here about washer jets for part numbers which you can buy on eBay) for £22 as they’re much better mist type and adjustable with Torx screwdriver rather than a toothpick!

Just went to fill up the washer bottle and I started to fill the bottle up (which was empty) and I had only been pouring for 5 seconds when the fluid started to make its way up the pipe as if if was nearly full. After a few seconds the fiuld went down and this happen 3/4 times until the bottle was actually full.

Never had this before, both washer jets front and rear work fine.

The cap is always on too so I’m really not sure how the pipe could be blocked.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Is there any solution that I may need to unblock whatever might be in the pipe?
It's just the screenwash frothing up as you pour in mine has always done this, it's nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Ormesome
It's just the screenwash frothing up as you pour in mine has always done this, it's nothing to worry about.

Come to think of it, I did put more concentrate in today.

Get washer jets from the A6 (see another thread on here about washer jets for part numbers which you can buy on eBay) for £22 as they’re much better mist type and adjustable with Torx screwdriver rather than a toothpick!

Are these only on the A6 then? Are they considered an upgrade to the stock ones? Do they easily fit in an 8v?

Are these only on the A6 then? Are they considered an upgrade to the stock ones? Do they easily fit in an 8v?

The factory fitted jets are the "pistol" type. 3 jets per jet unit like water from a water pistol. They block up and go out of alignment ending up squirting water where it's not wanted or not squirting at all. The A6 type spray a fan pattern mist which is easily adjusted using a torx screwdriver so yes it's an upgrade. The A6 jets are a direct swap.

See:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/washers-and-fluid.380955/#post-3342935

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...oblem-fixed-blocked-jets.379931/#post-3336850

Reactions: scoss
The factory fitted jets are the "pistol" type. 3 jets per jet unit like water from a water pistol. They block up and go out of alignment ending up squirting water where it's not wanted or not squirting at all. The A6 type spray a fan pattern mist which is easily adjusted using a torx screwdriver so yes it's an upgrade. The A6 jets are a direct swap.
I tried a pair of the A6 washers, and I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with them.

My car is a facelift like yours.

I didn't get them because I've had problems with the OEM jobs - actually, I can only ever recall having washer jet problems a couple of times in the past, and that really was in the past. Like in the eighties...

I got them to see if they really were the dog's knees. Lots of folks reckon they are, and if I can improve the way something performs without spending a fortune, then I'll happily give it a go.

They are the correct parts, and they are handed correctly, and yes, they are an absolute doddle to fit. There's also no denying that the means of adjustment is far better than sticking a needle in a nozzle and wiggling it around.

Thing is, I much prefer the spray pattern of the original units. The spray from the replacements hit the screen much too far down for me (especially at speed), and if I adjusted them in order to raise the contact area up the screen, the jet clipped the edge of the bonnet and the fluid that didn't go all over everything except the screen ended up in the scuttle and dribbled out onto the floor.

I'm not saying that they're no good, because clearly lots of people like them, but they're no good for me.

I tried a pair of the A6 washers, and I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with them.

My car is a facelift like yours.

I didn't get them because I've had problems with the OEM jobs - actually, I can only ever recall having washer jet problems a couple of times in the past, and that really was in the past. Like in the eighties...

I got them to see if they really were the dog's knees. Lots of folks reckon they are, and if I can improve the way something performs without spending a fortune, then I'll happily give it a go.

They are the correct parts, and they are handed correctly, and yes, they are an absolute doddle to fit. There's also no denying that the means of adjustment is far better than sticking a needle in a nozzle and wiggling it around.

Thing is, I much prefer the spray pattern of the original units. The spray from the replacements hit the screen much too far down for me (especially at speed), and if I adjusted them in order to raise the contact area up the screen, the jet clipped the edge of the bonnet and the fluid that didn't go all over everything except the screen ended up in the scuttle and dribbled out onto the floor.

I'm not saying that they're no good, because clearly lots of people like them, but they're no good for me.

Actually I quite like the OEM pistol type but no matter what I did I couldn't sort out the existing jets so I was going to have to change them either to another set of the pistol type or to the A6 type. I don't think the A6 type are perfect either but they do at least hit the screen rather than watering my wing mirrors or the car behind.

The Audi Master Tech at my dealers said they get a lot of problems with washer jets on all models. He said the cure is to use Audi's own washer fluid. More expensive but it works unlike the cheaper versions. I have used the Audi fluid in all 10 of my A3s and never had any problems.