Bloke question..... shaving!

A3Tom

Smell my finger.
Reaction score
No no,not what you think.... I'm not after tips on a back crack and sack or anything like that ;)

I have to shave every day for work and currently use cartridge razors and to be honest they're crap. My neck feels like its been ripped apart and the cost of blades is just stupid...so it was time for somethng else. I've tried electric and to be honest they never do a good job. I've tired oils, gels, foams etc etc and still no good.

After speaking to an old boy at work he told me "get yourself a proper razor", which I presumed was a cut throat!!. There's no way I'm waving one of those near my face but he said that he was on about a safety razor...the type that take old school razor blades. He also said to get some proper soap and a brush so I got googling and did a bit of research. So I now have winging its way to me a safety razor, shaving brush (real bagder which I thought was a bit random), some blades and some proper shaving soap.

This is what I'm on about...

merkur-futur-chrome-300x300.jpg

To be honest I'm prepared to try anything as I'm pretty sure one day I'll wear my neck away and my head will fall off. From what I've read cartridge razors cause a lot of ingrowing stubble and razor burn etc and a decent sharp blade in a safety razor will cure this. So, has anyone used one...I'm crapping myself as I think I'll get cut to shreds when I learn to use it properly!. From what I've read the shave from these is spot on, better than any Mach 3 etc and once you learn how to use it no nicks, cuts or razor burn.

Another good thing is once you've splashed out on the stuff it'll save you a load of money...10 blades for about £3 :)., the soap will last an age compared to canned gunk and the razor itself should out live me so it should save me a bit of cash and pay for itself after a couple of months.

Anyone used one and got any tips for keeping the skin on my face? :lmfao:Quite looking forward to it in an odd sort of way.....whipping up a load of foam with the brush etc. I remember my Grandad doing it like that when I was a kid so I feel all grown up. Plus there's something 'blokey' about shaving with a proper balde :)

T

From what I've read Cartridge blades pull the hair out of the face a bit, then cut it and it goes back in under the skin so you get a sore neck. I've put up with crap shaves for years and years so its time to do somethign about it and splash a bit of cash (that hopefully will save me some in the future) and get old school.

I was shocked to see that there are forums about shaving.... best combos of soap, blade etc, what brush to buy and why....some people take it waaay too seriously :uhm:. Although from what they say shaving doesnt end up being a chore, its more of a nice relaxing, nice smelling stress free start to the day which I quite like the sound of :)

My grandad had one, and all of his sons did too including my dad, I did use it for a while and I have to say it is spot on, the blades are spot on as well, barbershop stylee.

I have actually stopped shaving now, I just use clippers and number 1 my beard every few days, only on a rare occasion will I either shape it up and if I do, i use an old skool gillette sensor excel, twin blade jobbie, thats the only one that doesnt burn my face off!!

Im glad I dont have to shave every day!!

If I live to tell the tale I'll let you know how I get on :icon_thumright:

I can't remember the last time I had a clean shave, always have a bit of stubble, glad I don't have that hassle...

Is it a requirement to be clean shaven still in the force, I'm sure I've seen police interceptors or one of those programmes where the officers weren't clean shaven, I remember purposely thinking at the time that the force must have a more relaxed attitude towards facial hair these days...

Mac 3 Turbo.

Or

Babyliss i-trim set at 0.5 mm for a perfect shadow look

Yup, babyliss i-trim 0.5mm that's the kiddy :)

Yep you still have to be clean shaven at work... some people have poor standards though.

Hot flannel, shaving brush, bar of soap, disposable Bic, cocoa butter.
Never had a problem. Face and neck as smooth as Flora.

I spent 15 years trying to eliminate razor rash. I have the same prob as you A3Tom, very sensitive skin and have to shave everyday. I used to start the week OK and by Wednesday I'd have intense soreness and usually a lot of blood! It was painful to shave. Like you I tried everything, gels, oils, electric, pre shave balm, single blade razors, twin blade razors, quad blade razors. Nothing seemed to help.

The solution was very simple. I now use a stick and brush soap. The brush action tends to massage the beard and soften it better than foam/gel etc. Use water as hot as you can stand to make the lather. I still use a twin blade razor, but dip it in COLD water to rinse rather than hot water. The cold water will contract the blade slightly and you get a finer point. Lastly use a moisturising balm afterwards (never aftershave lotion!), I have found the one that suits me best is the L'Oreal stuff. I know it sounds girly, but this step alone cured 90% of my shaving woes. Also I use a moisturiser at the end of each day too. You wouldn't believe the difference.

can tommorrows topic of the day be manbags

I dont do man bags I'm afraid.

Nothing lame about a good shave! Had a proper cut throat one once...awesome. The only decent shave I've ever had I think.

You bunch of poof's, use a rusty old stanley knife blade, and do it dry, like a real man :superman:

I might as well use a bread knife at the minute...got to be better!

Plus there's something 'blokey' about shaving with a proper balde :)

i hereby petiton to have you removed from the male gender :laugh:

seriously though i quite fancy one also pains me to pay out a tenner for 5 blades now adays that last a week if im lucky and the only alternative being using them blunt and it irritating the **** outta my skin

My bird loves me clean shaven so its all worth it, as long as she doesnt borrow it to do her legs!

I had the same problem. Uber sensitive skin. I had to shave 3-4 days at a time otherwise my face would look like the moon! Problem solved with Babyliss i trim. So it gets another thumbs up from me!

I had a look at the sites about the brushes and all sorts of natural stuff to put on your face so will be interesting to see how you get on.

Strangely interested in this, find I don't get a very close shave with the old Mach 3 and I can't say shaving with it feels that nice.

Used a Babyliss i-Trim thing for a ages but I never found it that good, never seemed to be able to get an even shave, especially around the old chin area.

Whats the cost getting all this stuff?

Same here, im using Fusion at the moment and its leaving my skin dry and rashy. Let me know how it goes tom, and share where you got your kit from :) If somebody shares the safest way to do the manbags, please share :p hahaha.

I've kitted myself out with some bits and its all come in under 50 for the lot. Plus it'll last ages, the razor will never wear out, soap will last an age, brush will last forever etc. Blades are so cheap so hopefully it'll pay for itself down the road :) you could spend a fortune but i went with good quality middle of the road stuff.

We're getting old :(

There used to be a lassie round our way who would do a cut-throat razor shave (smooth enough to make you want to skull **** yourself) but new ****** EU bendy bananas rules say she can't sterilise and re-use a blade so it's eco-no-make-sense-ical.

I've had a proper cut throat and its awesome..not many places offer it these days though.

Tom get yourself to some of the asian barbers round Sparkhill way, they all use cutthroat down that way, with a nice face massage as well.....

You dont get much convo, manners, or anything else really, however you can get a spot on shave for under a fiver :)

You can get cut throat razors with a blade guard so that a slip results in a small nick rather than death...
My old house mate used to swear by his!

I manage to avoid all shaving related palava by only growing hair in a random strip across my chin. On purpose of course!

My razor needs to ****** well hurry up and arrive, I'm like Grizzly Adams here!.

A mate use to go on about his real badger hair shaving brush.

I slap it on and cut it off to be honest. Occasionally get a few tiny spots around my Adams Apple but nothing too serious!

:lmfao: so funny!

get a proper shave, nothing worse than itchy stubble! Nice n smooth for us girls! why shouldnt you guys have the same!!!!

Told off by the boss if I let it grow, told off by the missus if I don't . . .

I'm quite looking forward to my badger hair brush :lmfao:

I've been using a badger brush for a couple of years now, along with a safety razor. A hot flannel before, some proper moisturiser after, and Roberts your mothers brother. I've found there is some stuff in Boots called The Real Shaving Co. that do some good shaving cream, but the moisturiser is a bit rubbish. I used to get really ****** off with the shaving bit in the morning, with all the razor burn etc., but then found out it can be better to have a shave in the evening, once your skin has settled down during the day, then moisturise over night. I'll put my hands up, and say it's all a bit girly, but I feel alot better for it, so couldn't give one, ha ha

Well the postie delivered my little order this morning.

I opened the razor and was shocked at how small but really heavy it was. Its a really nice solid little thing so happy days. I needed a shower as I'd just detailed the GF's motor so thought I'd give it a go.

I assembled the razor with a new blade thinking "oh ****, this things going to cut my face off" but thought I should stop being such a wimp. Hot shower then time to crack on. Mixed up some soap with the brush and gave my face a good going over...so far so good.

Time to crack on with the weapon disguised as a razor....

First impressions are it takes a bit of getting used to.... short non overlapping strokes with the grain, then re lather up your mush and go across the grain before a nice cold water rinse.

WOW is all I can say,super smooth and only one little nick which is nothing major :). Gave my race a rub over with an alum block as suggested by my old man and then put a bit of aftershave balm on.

I'm a convert now, my face is still intact and my Mach 3 has gone in the bin.

:D

God I feel like such a bird!.

Nice one Tom! I suffer similar shaving problems as you for the requirement to be clean shaven at work, I currently use Sensor Mach III Turbo Plus (or similar lol) and use Clinique shaving products - combined they do a good job but I'd be interested to try some alternatives. Can you post some links please?

I'm currently in Turkey and will be plucking up the courage for a cut throat shave soon ......