Bludy large groups of cyclists

Andy Crooks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I WILL emphasise the phrase "Bludy large groups of cyclists" as no doubt there are cyclists on the forum

Not a problem with 1 or 2 cyclists on the road but when theres between 10 and 20 together its horrible.

basically this last week there has been loads of groups with this amount of people going along my road and its a nasty road with blind double bends so i have to overtake the lot somehow. yes rather easy if i squeeze into the gaps.

not,

there cycling together in 3's like | | | across the road using the one side "tapping horn to make them aware in behind" they didnt move into single file.

I get the right gear to get the power to go round a few as i can see its clear so I correctly check around me to see nothing is going past me I indicate pull onto other side of the road get past some, go to go past some and some old fart in an old ford fiesta comes tearing down the road towards me he hits the brakes i hit the brakes, squeeze a few cyclists out the way after checking mirrors the fiesta driver tried having ago at me for overtaking, I just shrugged my shoulders and said to him what can I do.

what could have I done differently from you more experienced drivers "im only 20"

Ran them down !

If there a club and there all the time send them an email to highlight that single file riding is safer on these roads .If they ignore you ,Perhaps a call to your local bobby may alert them to there dangerous riding .

could do, i noticed most were women and were wearing pink cycling tops, so could have been cancer research and running them down wont do much could it would make a mess of the front end of the a3

i would have jsut held my horn down to be honest :mad:

i dont mind the odd one cyclist but when theres more of one there so annoying!, i know there is a fair few on here who cycle.. so i dont mean to offend them but its the same as anyother thing on the road like horses. neither should be aloud on the road in my opinion....

i know there is a fair few on here who cycle.. so i dont mean to offend them

thats why i emphasised the words large groups, hopefully doesnt offend cyclists

another annoying thing is when they use the road when in some situations theres clearly a cycle track along side the footpath

Last edited:
Sod offending them mate LOL ,Im sure most will agree that particular bunch were in the wrong .Unless the roads are closed off they should not hold traffic up three abreast ... .They know fine well its not safe to ride like that on country roads like that .
most cyclists are a pain but lets face it they have every right to be on the roads as we do .Just some are absolute menaces swerving in and out taking huge risks ...

Large groups should be made by law to ride in several smaller groups. Large groups are dangerous and hold up traffic (that actually pay to be on the road).

I've got nothing against cyclists on the road in general, having spent most of my time at uni getting around town on my bike - but consideration is a two way street!!

This particular group sound like a bunch of idiots! I've raced XC and Road at a national Elite level for the past two years with a BC Gold license (IE, to a high level!), and people like that give me a bad name.

The best course of action? Make a note of what bike they are on and what club shirts they are wearing, and write to their clubs. If they are any good they WILL give them a speaking to.

Must of been a ride for life or similar,just grin and bear it

what could have I done differently from you more experienced drivers "im only 20"

0_61_060308_CarCyclists.jpg

I find that driving really close to their rear wheels makes them be a bit more understanding and more likely to move out of your way.

As for the old boy in the Fiesta, what you should do is make hand gestures back to him using 1 or maybe 2 fingers, sometimes using the signal of hand loosely clenched and then shaken vigorously.

Remember that cyclists do not pay tax to use the roads, whereas as Motorists do, therefore cars own the road and cyclists should always be gracious and make room for cars. If they want to pay a tax levy each year, then they can comment on the state of driving on the roads. If not, they can keep quiet.

i think the "road" tax we actually pay doesnt get used at all apart from been wasted on the central reservations on motorways from metal barriers to solid concrete blocks which are worse

I hate the 'C' words with a passion! Why they cannot ride in single file is beyond me!
I'm afraid I do nothing for the 'audi driver' stereotype as they always receive a good blast of the horn and some choice words out the window.
Nothing you can do about them though, so I will carry on being a **** in an Audi to every big group, who hold up my journey.

I believe anyone having to ride a bicycle is out of work and does not pay any taxes, on the basis that anyone in work would buy a car rather than risk their life riding a bicycle on the open road.

:thrashi:

Reactions: Matt_S
I believe anyone having to ride a bicycle is out of work and does not pay any taxes, on the basis that anyone in work would buy a car rather than risk their life riding a bicycle on the open road.

:thrashi:

I have made a comment quite similar to this to the misses, but followed it up with 'peasants on pedals'.... I was swiftly told off hehe!