Bluetooth and iPod for RNS-d

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was looking around ebay seeing what random bits there was for the RNS-d and came across this Audi iPod Adapter RNS-C RNS-D Interface Box 000051444L | eBay

I currently got the Xcarlink in my car and it works really well but I'm wondering if a OEM ipod adaptor would display any extra information on the radio or DIS?

The Xcarlink also have the option of plugging in a Bluetooth hands free add on which I'm very tempted by but I would like a bit more information on the screen or DIS.
I've even thought about a parrot kit but I'm not a fan of having the external display on the dash. Can anyone recommend a unit that integrates well with the RNS/car?

I am tempted to just OEM the iPod and Phone if they come up at the right price.

Last edited:
The standard Audi Ipod is probably worse than any other, don't bother with it.

The RNS-D doesn't work with the Audi BT prep or any other as far as I'm aware.

What you really need is a MFSW, if you get that then you could fit the genuine Audi BT prep, but it wouldn't control the radio as the interfaces are different as you know. But you would get DIS integration.

The standard Audi Ipod is probably worse than any other, don't bother with it.

The RNS-D doesn't work with the Audi BT prep or any other as far as I'm aware.

What you really need is a MFSW, if you get that then you could fit the genuine Audi BT prep, but it wouldn't control the radio as the interfaces are different as you know. But you would get DIS integration.

I'm looking at MFSW. I'm planing on something but I need to get my hands on a MFSW to look at a few things.

Need a MFSW for BT prep? Hmmm.

The phone prep for the RNS-d is the old style nokia clip in jobs?

Just sold a 4 spoke MFSW for a C5 A6, but would have worked perfectly well on a B5. plenty of them around, it's just getting the MFSW control ECU with can bus. They are expensive new and very rare second hand, I got mine from the states.

The way I see it is you could fit something like the Dension GW PRO to get BT & Ipod and controlled through the MFSW and DIS. The RNS-D would just mute when the phone rings and the sound would come through the cars speakers.

Just sold a 4 spoke MFSW for a C5 A6, but would have worked perfectly well on a B5. plenty of them around, it's just getting the MFSW control ECU with can bus. They are expensive new and very rare second hand, I got mine from the states.

The way I see it is you could fit something like the Dension GW PRO to get BT & Ipod and controlled through the MFSW and DIS. The RNS-D would just mute when the phone rings and the sound would come through the cars speakers.

MFSW first and then the rest.
Cool.

I'll start building parts.
Thanks. :)

A friend is breaking his A6 with MFSW and he's sorting me out with the slip ring, steering wheel and relay.

His relay part number is 4B0907487E.

If that is the correct one, wired up with the MFSW working, I can then get a BT phone prep wired in and that would display the phone information on the DIS?

I cant see you needing the slip ring, as long as you have at least 2 and preferably 3 spare pins on your existing slip ring it doesn't need to be changed.

The steering wheel should be fine.

I cant see you needing the slip ring, as long as you have at least 2 and preferably 3 spare pins on your existing slip ring it doesn't need to be changed.

The steering wheel should be fine.

Something like this?

sline_mfsw_conversion_28.jpg

With the MFSW buttons running over Canbus I'd only need spare pins for the 2 canbus cables.

Do they illuminate, if they do I guess that will be done via canbus?
Would they need power, if so they can come from the air bag feed?

EDIT: Reading this. A4 B5 S-Line Tiptronic SW Controls conversion using B5.5 MFSW CAN Bus Interface

Last edited:
Looked at my slip ring and this is what I got.

I assume its the same as the top one.
2 for airbag and 2 for horn.
That leaves one spare.

SO maybe you do need a new slip ring. The MFSW controls require power, gnd and lin bus, which is why you can get away with 2 wires if you share the horn ground, but 3 is best to keep it all isolated. My A2 slip ring has 2 spare pins on the top and one on the main 5 way connector so I have the required 3 spare.