Bluetooth bong/connect noise

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All

Anyone figured how to lower the volume of the bluetooth connect bong noise that the rns makes when it has connected to your cellphone, I've checked adaptions/coding in vag 77 & cant see one, maybe I am blind, but man its loud & ****** annoying, I dont mind a quieter noise but god bit to loud.

Thanks.

Nigel.

EDIT: There is now a solution to this problem, please pass on your thanks to VRStu:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=740531&postcount=62

VRStu said:
Like me I am sure this drives loads of you mad, many people say it can't be done - Well it can.

The volume of the tones can be reduced by lowering the voice operation volume. Activate the voice operation using the PTT button on the steering wheel and giving the help command, whilst the instructions are repeated lower the volume on the dialogue system.

If you have carried out the SDS mod you will no doubt have changed the coding on your phone controller (77) to disable voice control and hand it over to the RNS-E. If that is the case you will need to enable the voice activation on the phone controller before you can make the change, you can change it back on completion.

Ok you have to be quick, but when you hear the 'bong' you can lower the volume by twiddling the volume knob. It will remember the setting the next time.

I am sure I tried this before and yes it lowered the "bong" for that instance but future "bongs" were at their usual very loud level i.e. it did not remember the bong level.

Would be interested if anyone gets it to remember the lower level ....

Im my experience it wont lower it for very long. There is no VAG-COM coding to do anything about this either.

Tested guys & didnt work, it did when it connected & I lowered the tone ok, then when disconnected lowered the tone, but next time it didnt remember the setting atall, went back to same volume level, tried several times, any more ideas?

You can lower the tone just before it does the bong, which we know when this is as the radio mutes 1st, then 3-4 seconds later it bongs, incase you wanna try yourselves, same as when it disconnects it mutes radio then several seconds later it bongs, its in those few seconds you seem to be able to lower the volume, but it doesnt stick next time round, maybe I need to do combination of ignition etc, I'll keep trying though.

N.

I'm gonna speak with my audi guy as that really is very very stupidly thick, I wonder if later modules have anything in coding, whats the newest version people?

I think the latest BT module is 8P0 862 335 Q.

As per my previous post, there is no VAG-COM coding to change this.

Thats a **** really is, cant believe they missed that one, really cant.

Anyone found a resolution to this. Mine has become noticably louder than before and I can only assume two possible reasons -

It's a changable setting - but what??
It's to do with SDS as I think I only noticed it when I did the SDS hack.

no mate, tried various things & no difference, I hate it but also the Samsung Tocco has a horrible loud noise when making a call through car, confirmed on number of Tocco's now so its a handset issue, pain in asssssssseee for sure

I used to love the bong, but after a while It made me paranoid...

The bong is ok. The worst is doing any sort of bluetooth call with an iPhone and having your ears bleed from the screeching noise before the phone starts dialling.

Jeesus did that go over everybodies head :tumble:

Some acknowledgement good or bad PLEASE!!

just made me sleepy & preferred something else thanks, lol

anyway I'm glad to hear its not just the tocco makes that loud screeching noise, I have a feeling the iphone & tocco have the same chipset cause the tocco also had call cut of & signal issues as per the iphone

& Marc sorry mate tried that & it does work intially but it changes back to standard volume on most occassions, oh well have to stick with it but damn that screeching is loud

& Marc sorry mate tried that & it does work intially but it changes back to standard volume on most occassions, oh well have to stick with it but damn that screeching is loud

i'm nearly certain i've read something about this online somewhere (nice vague response there!).

I'll try to dig it out later if I can.

What a bunch of cnuts............:motz:Im off to hit the bong

[ytv]MoTO_YLW5qI[/ytv]

The bong is ok. The worst is doing any sort of bluetooth call with an iPhone and having your ears bleed from the screeching noise before the phone starts dialling.

It doesn't do that with firmware 2.2 and your ring tone also comes through the speakers.

I thought I had this sorted, sat franticly rolling the roller on the steering wheel to turn the volume down as the phone connected and it seemed to work but then it's gone back up again.

It's not the SDS firmware as I've just SDS'd another unit today.

You have 2? 1G and a 3G perhaps... I'm using a 1G with a revision H bluetooth module and it works fine. Honest!

The bong is ok.

I like the bong (in both senses L6ON) as it confirms to me that the phone has paired - a bit like the bleep when I lock the car with the remote. Without the bong I'd have to check that the phone had paired ok just as without the bleep I'd have to check the car was locked. Its a useful function for me. Or maybe that's just my OCD kicking in. I also have to wash my hands 176 times a day.

I get the screech with my Sony Ericsson C905 which is Bluetooth 2.2. Can't be iPhone specific. Now I do NOT like that in any way. Only happens every now and again though like others have said.

I get the screech with my Sony Ericsson C905 which is Bluetooth 2.2. Can't be iPhone specific. Now I do NOT like that in any way. Only happens every now and again though like others have said.
I have a C905 and a K800i and I don't get any sort of screeching at all. Never have!

Iggu do you hear your ringtone through the speakers?

I have the ringtone through the speskers, and my bong is nice and quiet.

Does it not use the same volume as when making a call? So, try making a call and lowering the volume, then see if the bongs have been turned down too

I have a C905 and a K800i and I don't get any sort of screeching at all. Never have!

Iggu do you hear your ringtone through the speakers?

Yep - sure do.

One thing to know is on my M600i when I use as backup it doesnt display the antenna icon/signal but if you use it in 2g mode it does, only when in auto 3g switching it doesnt showup, weird huh & I dont think it gives the bong on that either.

Interesting.....

*goes to car for a play*

Thinking about it - I'm not 100% certain I've had the screech with this C905 phone which I've only had a month or so. My previous Samsung was Bluetooth v1.0 and used to do it all the time - maybe this one doesn't do it after all ..... couldn't swear to it either way.

Right I can't get the ringtone to work. Looked at my setting in profiles and in bluetooth and on the RNS-E but can't find anything there. Tried it in Car mode too.

BUT I did try adjusting the volume during call to high and then low to see if it made a difference to the bongs volume and it had no affect. But it was a bit weird because when I first got in my car the bong was really loud, but then each time I connected and diisconnected after that it was quieter and always the same volume.

Does anyone know why sometimes I get into my car and the mp3 plays straight away instead of taking ages to load??

Does anyone know why sometimes I get into my car and the mp3 plays straight away instead of taking ages to load??

I get that too !
Naively and probably totally incorrectly I've put this down to the cold. My iPod misbehaves when its been very cold so I'm assuming the MP3 is affected as well. Either that or its gremlins in the RNS-E.

I get that too !
Naively and probably totally incorrectly I've put this down to the cold. My iPod misbehaves when its been very cold so I'm assuming the MP3 is affected as well. Either that or its gremlins in the RNS-E.

No to do with the cold as it's been doing it all summer too! Must be the gremlins then.

So how can I sort this ringtone thing out Iggu?? :search:

Hi guys,

My SE C905 doesn't ring through the speakers either, well it does but an annoying classic "ring" and not the ringtone on the phone, that does play but from the handset itself...... So I get two types of rings :-S

Never noticed any screetching noises as mentioned.

But the BONG is a nightmare, when you get in its quite loud (but I can deal with this) but when a call disconnects halfway through or finishes its VERY loud. Also anyone have a problem with the volume of the person through the speakers?? I can adjust it by putting the phone call volume on max and the car call volume on max but it only goes up to a certain level and if someone is talking quietly when I'm driving along a motorway can hardly heard them at times..... Also having the car call volume maxed out means that the bong upon disconnection makes me jump out of my skin...lol

C

Hi guys,

My SE C905 doesn't ring through the speakers either, well it does but an annoying classic "ring" and not the ringtone on the phone, that does play but from the handset itself...... So I get two types of rings :-S

Never noticed any screetching noises as mentioned.

But the BONG is a nightmare, when you get in its quite loud (but I can deal with this) but when a call disconnects halfway through or finishes its VERY loud. Also anyone have a problem with the volume of the person through the speakers?? I can adjust it by putting the phone call volume on max and the car call volume on max but it only goes up to a certain level and if someone is talking quietly when I'm driving along a motorway can hardly heard them at times..... Also having the car call volume maxed out means that the bong upon disconnection makes me jump out of my skin...lol

C

I don't have any problems with the volume of calls. Apart from the fact that you never no what level it's set at and normally the ring of an incoming call it too loud. But I have FBMFSW so I can very quickly turn it down.

The quality of the call itself and the volume is just great though.

The only thing wrong for me is the ringtone not playing through the speakers.

So how can I sort this ringtone thing out Iggu?? :search:

Not sure - your knowledge of wiring and electrics is much better than mine. Mine was a factory fit option rather than a retrofit so I can only assume this is standard. The man to ask is S8Craig - he will know for sure.