Blufin for a 2012 3.0tdi - Any Advice?

hmy7k

Reaction score
Website
www.svarre.co.uk
I am seriously considering a blufin as above. Mine's a manual by the way.

Has anyone else tried one and have any experiences advice they could share before I take the plunge.

I am particularly interested in any reliability issues, I am not looking for absolute max power.

I had a Bluefin on my previous A4 tdi 143bhp, manual. Totally transformed the car, and as we speak am waiting on this being reset with my new map for my A5 tdi 177bhp, manual. I had it on my A4 for nearly two years with no reliability issues.
I notice a few on A5-OC with 3.0 tdi's have Bluefin, so it quite popular with Audi owners.
JG

You will like it, I have it on my 3.0 tdi B8 and it is good the way you can put it on and off at will, but once it's on you won't want to remove it !

Reactions: V6 Quatt
I would like to be able to remove the remap if necessary as the car is still under warranty or if I don't like it.

I'm in the same position, still under warranty, installed the Bluefin yesterday and took the car out for a drive, over 100 miles. The car feels totally different, more responsive through the rev range and hardly any turbo lag. I removed the Bluefin while out on my run, ran stock for about 20 miles just to check everything was good, and then installed it again in a layby, simples.
IMO the Bluefin installed in a 3.0 tdi would make a big difference, as it has to mine, and mines is only a 2.0 tdi 177bhp. I'm sure you can buy one and try it for a week and send it back (refunded) if you don't like it, contact superchips to confirm though.
JG

Reactions: SI-W85 and RobbieWebs
Its sounds like the Bluefin is the way to go. Not too keen on the tuning boxes that seem to be limited as to what they can control. The only issue I have is that you appear to need a PC to upload it and I only have a mac. I am going to contact them to see if they have a workaround.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Do they all arive blank requiring you to download the stock rom and email off to superchips.

When i downloaded and sent mine i virtually got the re-map sent to me straight away.

I was much the same wrighty, only took an hour or so, they seem to be on the ball when it comes to customer service.
JG

I have a bluefin installed on my S3, great power gains for very little money. Remove before dealer servicing etc just in case any updates are required and once back on away you go. Simple to use, the first map they sent wasn't very responsive in performance, one small email and they re uploaded another one for me to download and works a treat.

Ordered mine today for a 120ps 1.8tfsi direct from Superchips. Got 10% discount too.
The file you email over is automatically processed by their system and if it's a recognised file the upgrade is automatically sent back. If it's unrecognisable there is manual intervention hence a slight delay in sending out.

I asked a couple of days ago if there was a workaround to the pc issue and two days later I have just received this reply
"We are sorry the software is not Mac compatible."
Helpful - no
Prompt - no
I am not convinced they want the business.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
TBH I have never seen a tuner with a Mac. They all tend to have Windows laptops so I suspect the problem is just that's what the industry uses to load remaps.

Are you near a tuner? They could maybe do the load for you and load the device with the standard and modified maps for you. Otherwise I think it's DTUK box or similar.

Could give Shark Performance a ring as they are doing a free STS with their remaps at the moment...

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/sts

(no connection with Shark other than as a satisfied former customer).

I asked a couple of days ago if there was a workaround to the pc issue and two days later I have just received this reply
Helpful - no
Prompt - no

Can you not borrow a laptop off a family member or a mate, it doesn't take long
to do .I had the same problem being a Mac user but luckily i had an old windows laptop in the cupboard.

I have been told there is a superchips dealer near to me so going to drop in and have a word with them.

Trouble with borrowing one is if I then have to change something or try a different map then its not going to be straightforward.

IMO the Bluefin installed in a 3.0 tdi would make a big difference, as it has to mine, and mines is only a 2.0 tdi 177bhp. I'm sure you can buy one and try it for a week and send it back (refunded) if you don't like it, contact superchips to confirm though.
JG

I have a 2.0 TDI 177bhp, what do you think you're getting after using this? I've always thought about chipping but never liked the thought of it effecting warranty or leaving some kind of trace behind in the memory somewhere.

Ordered mine today for a 120ps 1.8tfsi direct from Superchips. Got 10% discount too.
The file you email over is automatically processed by their system and if it's a recognised file the upgrade is automatically sent back. If it's unrecognisable there is manual intervention hence a slight delay in sending out.

Scott.T could you let me know how you get on with the Bluefin, I have the same engine and looking to take the plunge! Any advice, experience would be greatly recieved.

Just do it lads. For the money you can't get many more gains than that. Take it off and on when you want. The only decider when I bought mine 2 years ago was waiting for the sale

TD1is the VW Audi Group warranty ‘Flag’ for a vehicle that has been modified, this is something you should all be well aware of. If you’re not then please note; since the change in main dealer on-line diagnostic tools throughout 2013 performance software can and will be seen when a vehicle is plugged into online at a main dealer. This is the case even if it’s switched to ‘stock’ mode

I have a 2.0 TDI 177bhp, what do you think you're getting after using this? I've always thought about chipping but never liked the thought of it effecting warranty or leaving some kind of trace behind in the memory somewhere.

I think Superchips quote 40-45 bhp increase, I can't confirm this without visiting a rolling road, but what I can confirm is the BIG difference in my car, it's "Rapid" but smoother throughout the rev range, IMO the way it should have been from Audi in the first place.
I haven't tried any other remaps such as Revo or Shark, but know others who have and swear by them, I just like the idea of being able to switch back to stock map when I need to, and a I've said previously, Superchips will refund you within 7 days trial period if the Bluefin isn't what your looking for, win win situation me thinks.
re warranty, I had my previous A4 in to Audi many a time and never did they mention your car has had a remap, but, as Scotty has pointed out they are more aware of cars being mapped now.
JG

Even better with 10% off, gits never gave me a discount, although I never thought to ask, lesson learned. :keule:

Let us know what you think of it Scott.
JG

Helpful - no
Prompt - no

I feel your pain, I have a MacBook Air and have to use the kids netbook to use VCDS.
Been toying with the idea of installing windows on the Mac but don't want windows anywhere near it ...

Just be aware the dealer will know. TD1 is the magic thing to put into Google.

E.g. http://www.revotechnik.com/support/sales/is-revo-software-undetectable

That's why I decided to go Bluefin instead of Revo or APR.
OK Revo or APR may claim an additional 10BHP/20ftlb but their 'Stock' mode isn't the true stock mode, from what I have read, but just their performance map with the parameters re-calibrated to achieve similar to stock power.
As the ROM image then contains Stock, Level 1, Level 2 and maybe valet mode this will be checksum detectable and could raise a TD1 flag.

Although it wouldn't take much for the remap provider to re-write the code to retain the original checksum and perhaps put it's own checksum in a different location.
This would require every tune to know what version of OE code it was replacing in order to retain the checksum.
It would however fail if the Audi Diagnostics is a little intelligent and does a memory scan to calculate the checksum itself, then compare it to the data in the checksum location

As Bluefin reloads your original image IMHO it is one step further away from being detected, if not undetectable, when compared to remaps that allow stock map switching.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76
Even better with 10% off, gits never gave me a discount, although I never thought to ask, lesson learned. :keule:

Let us know what you think of it Scott.
JG

I aim to stick some VCDS logs before and after in a thread.

I seem to have come across a bit grumpy. :) I just wanted to be clear for the OP's benefit that flashing back to stock is no longer enough to avoid the remap being detected and a possible warranty claim being declined. I remapped my last car, you can read about it here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0-tfsi-shark-stage-1-remap-coming-next-week.193653/

but it was out of warranty and I paid up the extra insurance premium, all £26 of it. :) I won't be remapping my S4 until out of warranty if ever. If I do I'll be assuming the warranty is null and void. I just wanted to dispell this myth that persists that flashing back to stock solves everything. Be honest and you have nothing to fear.

As Bluefin reloads your original image IMHO it is one step further away from being detected, if not undetectable, when compared to remaps that allow stock map switching.

The ECU also has a flash counter so would think that would affect the checksum. At the end of the day are you feeling lucky? :)

I thought why using the tuning box was undetectable instead of uploading maps via bluefin etc?

I seem to have come across a bit grumpy. :) I just wanted to be clear for the OP's benefit that flashing back to stock is no longer enough to avoid the remap being detected and a possible warranty claim being declined. I remapped my last car, you can read about it here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0-tfsi-shark-stage-1-remap-coming-next-week.193653/

but it was out of warranty and I paid up the extra insurance premium, all £26 of it. :) I won't be remapping my S4 until out of warranty if ever. If I do I'll be assuming the warranty is null and void. I just wanted to dispell this myth that persists that flashing back to stock solves everything. Be honest and you have nothing to fear.

There seems to be a fair bit of talk about TD1's but no real evidence of things being enforced in the UK.
I did put a post up in 'General' http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/td1-flag-warranty-void.239465/#post-2403286

This had very specific question which I thought would of provoked some useful answers but alas, it didn't so I went with what I consider the safest remap option.

The ECU also has a flash counter so would think that would affect the checksum. At the end of the day are you feeling lucky? :)

Flash counter would not affect the checksum but if it is separate variable it could be detectable.
But it could also be 're-calibrated' by the flash utility ;)

Scott cheers for the links. Really useful reading. Won't hijack the thread any longer.

Bluefin didn't work for me.
Error code D012 reported, which basically means the ECU is locked and they want to see the car. Trouble is their about 3 hours away.
Time for a rethink !!!!!!

Bluefin didn't work for me.
Error code D012 reported, which basically means the ECU is locked and they want to see the car. Trouble is their about 3 hours away.
Time for a rethink !!!!!!

That's a bummer Scott, my A5 is a 2012 and was previously (Aug 2014) told by Superchips the ECU would need cracked, but they got round this at the beginning of this year, don't understand why it works for my car and not yours, both being the same year. :think:
Just think though, if you do decide to visit them and they get you sorted, the 3 hour drive home should be lots of fun. ;)
Let me know what you end up doing mate.
JG

That's a bummer Scott, my A5 is a 2012 and was previously (Aug 2014) told by Superchips the ECU would need cracked, but they got round this at the beginning of this year, don't understand why it works for my car and not yours, both being the same year. :think:
Just think though, if you do decide to visit them and they get you sorted, the 3 hour drive home should be lots of fun. ;)
Let me know what you end up doing mate.
JG

Spoke to superchips and sent the bluefin back as they thought they may be able to extract data from it.
They confirmed yesterday that they did get data and the ECU was one they were aware of and on their shortlist to go into the next bluefin firmware release. They just needed a car to finalise the update to bluefin.
So my car is going to them on 10th April for a week of fettling. This will conclude with a new bluefin and dyno before and after plots.
I may ask if they can squeeze a touch more out of it ;)

Spoke to superchips and sent the bluefin back as they thought they may be able to extract data from it.
They confirmed yesterday that they did get data and the ECU was one they were aware of and on their shortlist to go into the next bluefin firmware release. They just needed a car to finalise the update to bluefin.
So my car is going to them on 10th April for a week of fettling. This will conclude with a new bluefin and dyno before and after plots.
I may ask if they can squeeze a touch more out of it ;)

I take it the Bluefin and dyno are free and are payment for letting them use your car in their research, if not I'd be pushing for this Scott.
It'll be interesting to see the dyno before and after results though, keep me posted with how you get on.
Cheers
JG