BMW 123D

However once the 123D is a mapped version, it will give out a fair bit more power and torque.
The D3 is a very capable car, it's just the TT versions of the diesel engine have more potential when it comes to tuning.

It's not to say Audi cannot compete with BMW when it comes to Diesel engines, as the new Q7 and R8 and evidence that Audi are way ahead in the development of high powered diesel engines. It would just be nice to see a TT diesel in the A3/A4 range to compete against the likes of the 123D/335D...

Just picking up on an earlier comment about Top Gear hating the 3 series so much they didn't even bother with the cool wall..... I'm going to start watching that show with the sound off because they talk so much contradictory b*llocks it's untrue.
I saw a repeat of Top Gear from when they showed a picture of the 'new' 3 series in the news section. Clarkson said it looked great and was a welcome return to good looking BMWs.
Personally i would have thought that a car built around being technically superior with the best range of engines currently in production, yet not being all show and flashy should make the latest BMW's quite 'cool'...In my opinion anyway.
Top gear themselves said this week that the roles of BMW and Audi have now reversed with all the '*****' who only buy a car for it's image moving over to Audi, leaving real motoring fans with BMW's (their opinion not mine). Again that should make BMW a cool marque again.

So which is it?? Just making up the rules as you go along and changing your opinion to cause a stir whenever it suits you is tabloid journalism in my book.

For what it's worth i'm not a fan of most new Audi models. I'd take a 335i coupe over an S5 and a Z4M roadster over a TTS any day of the week. BMW seems to represent everything i originally loved about the Audi marque lately (understated technical excellence) which is a very very strange role reversal to say the least.

Paul.

However once the 123D is a mapped version, it will give out a fair bit more power and torque.
The D3 is a very capable car, it's just the TT versions of the diesel engine have more potential when it comes to tuning.

Absolutely.
No-one offers a 'chip' for my car, because they say it's pretty much on the limit already.
I've read claims that a 123D can be chipped to 240bhp+ though.
Provided they get around to fitting the TT to the 3 series, which is inevitable, there's every chance I'll have one of them next.:salute:

Someone on another forum I'm on is planning on replacing his 120D with a 123D but was saying he was struggling to find anyone that could remap it to give much more power? Something to do with a different ECU?

The new Alpina D3 coupe has the TT engine but doesn't produce much more power than standard so I'm guessing thats for the same reason of it being difficult to get more power out of?

The new Alpina D3 coupe has the TT engine but doesn't produce much more power than standard so I'm guessing thats for the same reason of it being difficult to get more power out of?

That's true, I noticed that.
Only something like 7bhp-10bhp more than a normal TT?
To be fair to Alpina, they don't seek out-and-out power.
They seem to seek driveability.
They could have simply changed the ECU in my car, to get the additional 27bhp over a normal 320D.
But they changed the exhaust, the injectors and the turbo.
This gives it a completely different power delivery to a normal 320D.
Revs like a beggar, for a diesel.
Much less of a marked drop off towards the red-line.

Yes the D3 is pretty much at the best it will be, Alpina normally do a good enough job... ;)

No-one can actually map the 123D via the OBD port as yet...

However this will not be for long, as we will be one of the 1st companies in the UK to offer this remapping service.. We are also expecting some very good results, especially judging by the "big brother" 3.0 TT D engines....

We are taking early enquiries and making a shortlist for people who want the remap once we have developed the tool (hopefully within the month)

We will also be one of, if not the 1st UK based companies to offer OBD mapping for the 335I, this will also be released hopefully within the month...

What do you realistically envisage getting out of a BMW TT then??

Lets hope it doesn't develop a starting problem then.

I wonder how many starter motors these new cars will get through....bound to burn out eventually...wouldn't like to know the costs of them neither lol

Well out of the 3.0 TTD we get around 100ft torque and 40-70 bhp.

With the 123D we are expecting at least a 40bhp gain and at least 50-80lb ft torque...

It will also depend on how far we can push the transmission on the car, with the 3.0ttd we do not push the torque figures over 550ish due to the reliability of the transmission at higher torque levels, however we have tested maps giving over 600lbft torque on that specific engine....

The potential is clear in the engines, it's just weather the rest of the car can sustain it as well which is the key....

Once we have the hardware/software we will be carrying out some extensive development to see exactly what gains are viable...

Keep me posted, Evolve.
My colleague and I will be interested.
Good luck.

What sort of figures are the 335i cars producing? Just imagining a big gain in one of the 135i coupes... :)

On a normal tune we are expecting around 50-60 bhp, with an easy gain of around 60-80ft lb torque...

However the beauty of the 335I/135I is the tuneability, with the options of decats/intercoolers, etc available and custom mapping the gains that can be had are very big...

Keep me posted, Evolve.
My colleague and I will be interested.
Good luck.

Thanks!

We will keep everyone posted fully about the progress, and once the maps are released we will make an announcement...

Watch this space.... ;)

Your right,

Even though the M3 is a very capable car and gives out good figures, it just does not offer the tuning potential of a turbo charged car.

For pure tuneability I would personally opt for a 335I over an M3 anyday...

Big group test of the 123d and Alpina D3 bi-turbo (and some others) in this month's evo mag.

Renault Megane LPG beats them all - but wouldn't get my vote.

I was on a track day at Snetterton last friday with the Guy who has just had his 335i remapped by Evolve the thing is crazy fast and sounded awesome with its miltek pipes, my 335D remapped by the same guys was quick on the day with no trouble holding a previous shape M3 at bay but the 335i is a beast.

Following the days fun I'm now upgrading the brakes to a bMW performance BBK and adding Eibach front and rear ARB's, now where's that M3 gone ?!? :)

I still think the S3 would have the edge on the track in comparison to the 335d but as an all rounder the 335 is damn good, 14.2 mpg around Snetterton, 44mpg on the way home :)

In this week's Autocar, there's a first test of the revised 3-series, in 330d trim. The engine now puts out 241bhp and 383lb/ft, but, incredibly, it manages just shy of 50mpg and just over 150g/km. Astonishing, when you consider that it reaches 60mph in 6.1 seconds - I had to read the stats again to make sure I'd read it right!

In this week's Autocar, there's a first test of the revised 3-series, in 330d trim. The engine now puts out 241bhp and 383lb/ft, but, incredibly, it manages just shy of 50mpg and just over 150g/km. Astonishing, when you consider that it reaches 60mph in 6.1 seconds - I had to read the stats again to make sure I'd read it right!

It is really decieving just how quick these cars are, my 335d is 286bhp standard and I'm sure silly mpg would be possible if I did longer journeys or took my foot off a bit, couple that with £170 per year road tax and they start to make sense, I for one never intended to buy a diesel but was impressed by a test drive and the rest is history.

I may still buy another S3 in a year or so (second hand) but the BMW is staying in the family as our main car, quiet, refined and fast, well worth a look.

And if you have the auto version of the new 330d, the tax band drops to D from E. :applaus:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/news/0,,1156__181246774_,00.html

I think i'll hold out for the facelifted 335D touring now.:yes:

I think i'll hold out for the facelifted 335D touring now.:yes:

I'm waiting for details of the facelift 320D and 330D touring.
If I go for the 320D, it'll be the M-sport model and it'll get chipped.
If I go for the 330D, it'll be the SE model and it'll stay standard.

When I ordered the D3 saloon, I didn't think we were having more kids.
Turns out we are, so I reckon I could do with the estate.
I'm also going through D3 tyres at an alarming rate (punctures).
They are expensive and a pain to get a hold of.
So I quite fancy going back to something with easy to acquire tyres.

I'm waiting for details of the facelift 320D and 330D touring.
If I go for the 320D, it'll be the M-sport model and it'll get chipped.
If I go for the 330D, it'll be the SE model and it'll stay standard.

When I ordered the D3 saloon, I didn't think we were having more kids.
Turns out we are, so I reckon I could do with the estate.
I'm also going through D3 tyres at an alarming rate (punctures).
They are expensive and a pain to get a hold of.
So I quite fancy going back to something with easy to acquire tyres.

Congrats on the news Bowfer :)

Mates got a 320 Msport estate (Friggn hate Audi calling them Avant and BMW calling them Touring, they are friggin estate cars) and its pretty damned good

I'm thinking of the new A4 Estate next, you thought about looking at them?

well i've finally sold the 8L A3 ....and bought a 120d M Sport 163 version with proper power steering ...not that electronic rubbish.

Std it's alright. lacks the get up and go and instant power of the re-mapped 130PD. Handling is far superior and trim level is good. I've bought a 55 plate
with a few extra toys. I think it was a demo car originally

It's getting re-mapped on Thursday by Simon Coe (Upsolute) so i'll let you guys know what it's like.

So far i'm impressed and BMW garage seems to be as helpful as Audi and similar pricing (and 20miles closer!!)

I've got one on a 3 day test drive next week, hopefully it will handle a bit better than the old one though

Evolve - have you cracked the audi 170 DPF tunning problems?